Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Holiday Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They should have been aware of that when they announced the holiday update was going to be released this week. It's not as if that recall has magically appeared from nowhere...
Hasn't the NTHSA just hit them yesterday with this recall, so after they announced the holiday update release for this week? If so they probably mobilised a bit of resources to prioritise it.

No, Premium Connectivity won't help (even if you had it it would not get you the update,)

You need the car to connect to WiFi - if you don't have that where the car is normally parked then it would help if you install an extra access point (or park the car where it CAN get WiFi (and is configured for that network) - e.g. at work)

After that its pot-luck. This time you might be the first to get it, next time the last. No rhyme nor reason.

When I had my first Tesla I was annoyed if I didn't get updates promptly (this talk of a Festive Update .. I eventually got a Christmas Update, the one where Reindeer appear on the Dashboard) in late January ...)

Now I'm happy to be late. Unlikely I urgently want any of the new features, early sub-releases are likely to have bugs, waiting for a later sub-release suits me better.

YMMV ... :)
thanks for getting back to me--im gonna park my car near the building for wi-fi
MJ

how?!
I think touch sensitive steering wheel means you have to touch it.
torque activated steering wheel means you can use water bottle or 500 g wrist band...
See below. ‘Touch sensitive’ devices use either capacitive or pressure sensitive surfaces. Either one is relatively easy to fool.
No stats (?!), but given “touch sensitive” is just capacitive touch, the material on some gloves or a stylus would likely fool it. Or a battery!

There were plenty of idiots buying the little weights to fool the old Tesla system so surely some enterprising individual could seize the initiative. I mean…. DIY HOW TO: Hands free for Driving assist. 🤨
Exactly. My other question as someone who lives in a northern clime is does it work with gloves/mittens?

See below. ‘Touch sensitive’ devices use either capacitive or pressure sensitive surfaces. Either one is relatively easy to fool.

Exactly. My other question as someone who lives in a northern clime is does it work with gloves/mittens?
and torque sensitive systems are harder? with water bottle or melon? :D

come on :D

it is, for that matter much more convenient for user when it is touch sensitive

and torque sensitive systems are harder? with water bottle or melon? :D

come on :D

it is, for that matter much more convenient for user when it is touch sensitive
Tesla has actually coded to defeat weights on the steering wheel. Either way, NHTSA seems to be worried that people are abusing the system and blames Tesla for the abuse. Not unlike blaming Jack Daniels for people drinking and driving.

Also, see the post above by someone who’s used the BMW touch-sensitive system not working…

Tesla has actually coded to defeat weights on the steering wheel. Either way, NHTSA seems to be worried that people are abusing the system and blames Tesla for the abuse. Not unlike blaming Jack Daniels for people drinking and driving.

Also, see the post above by someone who’s used the BMW touch-sensitive system not working…
well, duh.

while you need specific equipment to circumvent the touch sensitive , it is enough to have some weight to circumvent another.

in the end of the day, people defeating system with torque because it is ANNOYING. you MUST apply torque which must be specific value, very accurately between not enough and too much (disengage). due to torque factor, it is difficult to find the position which is comfortable and applies the torque.

touch sensitive is very nice, because you can find comfortable position to rest hand on wheel, touch it at specific location and it is all good.

I know about BMW, because I was living with BMW for 2 years, which had such system prior I moved to Tesla

Why are you wearing gloves when driving, you mad man?! Your grip on the wheel is completely compromised if you're doing that.

There is absolutely no excuse for wearing gloves, especially when you have a heated steering wheel

Holiday functionality in the past seems to go out well ahead of time (some may even already have this years already and not know), and the holiday update just seems to enable that functionality and adds some fixes, as will the several other updates that will follow in quick succession. I suspect the stages release of functionality with a smaller enabling update allows Tesla to handle a more concentrated 'release'.