Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Holiday Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll take a stab...

I read last night that we're probably looking at 2023.44.30 now, and may include some of the stuff related to the 'recall'...

Looks like:
  • Additional Controls and Alerts
  • Visual Alert Prominence
  • Enhanced Checks and Limiting Use
  • Suspension for Autopilot
^^^ From NotATeslaApp.com

What of that may or may not apply to the UK, I have no idea...
I'd be happy if they removed the option to enable Autosteer on non-motorways or dual carriageways as it's not fit for use on these roads IMHO. TACC is fine though.

I think they should limit autosteer to roads like dual carriageway and motorways, I've had too many issues with it on UK residential roads that I stopped using it for fear of either phantom braking because of a parked car or this clunky stop start in traffic, I'm smoother with my foot.

I think they should limit autosteer to roads like dual carriageway and motorways, I've had too many issues with it on UK residential roads that I stopped using it for fear of either phantom braking because of a parked car or this clunky stop start in traffic, I'm smoother with my foot.
I trust it so little these days that I wouldn't dream to try using it in a residential area....

OK, as you're not interested in engaging in dialogue I will bow out.

EDIT: To satisfy your curiosity, I thumbed you down because I disagree with you. Mostly because your views seem to be disproportionately expressed ("Darwin Award levels of stupidity" seemed way over the top) and also because I couldn't find evidence to support your strong views.
People are allowed to disagree with you.
Right - I was trying to have a rational discussion but it's clearly no use.

Edit: I googled 'temperatures in northern England' and found that the average low temperature in January is 0º C. Cold? hardly.

I'd be happy if they removed the option to enable Autosteer on non-motorways or dual carriageways as it's not fit for use on these roads IMHO. TACC is fine though.
They're doing that here in the states. Apparently the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) issued a recall to force Tesla to restrict AP use based on geography because too many people were being stupid with it and causing accidents.

The manual clearly states "Autosteer is intended for use on controlled-access highways with a fully attentive driver. Do not use Autosteer in construction zones, or in areas where bicyclists or pedestrians may be present." Unfortunately, people can't read and you can't fix stupid. :/

Reactions: KennethS
I can see why that is useful, but I find it (and TACC) extra annoying in traffic as the acceleration when the vehicle ahead pulls away is far too aggressive.
Interesting. Many people over here have the reverse complaint, that it's not aggressive enough and allow others to cut in. I don't spend much time in heavy traffic and haven't played around with the controls but I think it does depend somewhat on settings. There's also a wide variation in driving styles between regions and countries so I'm sure that plays a roll as well.

They're doing that here in the states. Apparently the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) issued a recall to force Tesla to restrict AP use based on geography because too many people were being stupid with it and causing accidents.

The manual clearly states "Autosteer is intended for use on controlled-access highways with a fully attentive driver. Do not use Autosteer in construction zones, or in areas where bicyclists or pedestrians may be present." Unfortunately, people can't read and you can't fix stupid. :/
Interesting, I don't know if I read that before using it... I don't know what controlled access highway means, if it said "Intended for motorway use" I'd understand and completely agree, I'd also lower my expectations. That's been a big thing for me with the autopilot, I started expecting an AI taxi but now accept it can stay in a motorway lane at speed pretty well.
It's a shame they have to cater for misuse, I agree. I remember an IT guy saying don't believe something is idiot proof, they'll just find a better idiot.😝

Interesting. Many people over here have the reverse complaint, that it's not aggressive enough and allow others to cut in. I don't spend much time in heavy traffic and haven't played around with the controls but I think it does depend somewhat on settings. There's also a wide variation in driving styles between regions and countries so I'm sure that plays a roll as well.
I'm talking about pulling away from a standstill in traffic - that's where it is too aggressive. In slow-moving-never-quite-stopped traffic it's fine - but yes, the rate at which it then goes from ~20mph back to the set cruising speed is sometimes quite slow.

it changed when Muskovite removed radar from TACC. It used to be able to have minimal distance set to 1 not 2..( wtf, since when lowest number is 2?)
as well as AP max speed was like 95 mph, instead of 95.

so you could keep shorter distance between other vehicles in traffic
I'm talking about pulling away from a standstill in traffic - that's where it is too aggressive. In slow-moving-never-quite-stopped traffic it's fine - but yes, the rate at which it then goes from ~20mph back to the set cruising speed is sometimes quite slow.
because of fockin Tesla vision. With radar it was wayyy smoother.

it like tesla vision tries to measure the distance between you and another vehicle in front, and instead of gradual measurement of "1,"go steady" 2,"go steady" 3 "go steadier", 4 meters - accelerate, it goes like "0,0,0,oooooh it's 4 - go go go"

I would guess you'd need the PWS, and as you (and I) don't have that on a 2020 car, then I think not...
Don't you have the spaceship sound when backing up? My Model 3 built in Dec 2019 does. I think the 2020s were all built in Fremont.

I'd use a custom lock sound to make it easier to tell when the car locks in a big parking garage.

Ideas for a sound that's district but not annoying? A bird call?