Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Holiday Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not saying it might not be a bonus in some ways, just personally I don’t really miss it in the Tesla.

However if you were using TomTom on your iPhone then the car won’t preheat the battery for charging, won’t even know that you need to charge. Probably it’s reporting efficiency of people constantly on certain routes and sections of road back to Tesla and who knows what else. These are reasons that it’s better to stick with the native Nav and why I think Tesla doesn’t offer CarPlay / Android Auto because it would lower the experience along with the data they can collect.
Other manufacturers can do.. no reason why not in tesla

i.e. Google maps (on which tesla nav is based) already has EV chargers in there (google maps also has option to select that your car is an EV...)

Reactions: sleepydoc
I’m not saying it might not be a bonus in some ways, just personally I don’t really miss it in the Tesla.

However if you were using TomTom on your iPhone then the car won’t preheat the battery for charging, won’t even know that you need to charge. Probably it’s reporting efficiency of people constantly on certain routes and sections of road back to Tesla and who knows what else. These are reasons that it’s better to stick with the native Nav and why I think Tesla doesn’t offer CarPlay / Android Auto because it would lower the experience along with the data they can collect.
Ofcoure. In that aspect (preconditioning) I would advise the same. However, in our case, in 3 years and two teslas, we have only used the supercharger network once out of curiosity. Hence for the over 99% of our usage, CarPlay would be more beneficial.

i've used mine a few times now on this latest rendered parking setup, first couple of times i hated it as it just looked wrong and incomplete, but the more i've used it the better i think it is, not saying its amazing but if definately appears to give a much better representation of whats around compared to the old squiggly lines setup. maybe its just me?

Just been out in mine since the update, planned a route past a few speed cameras and they showed on the map. Not been past one yet so I will see what we get in terms of bongs, if any.

I have the boombox so get the new lock sounds, quick question, does the original bong stay as default if it's turned off in the settings? I think it's turned off now.

No visualisation for parking as I have USS on my 71 plate.

This actually looks like pure garbage. I hope this doesn’t make its way to us with USS
The current system is perfect so no need to change to this. I mean a lorry (which was actually a transit van) parked in my boot today….

IMG_7243.jpeg

i've used mine a few times now on this latest rendered parking setup, first couple of times i hated it as it just looked wrong and incomplete, but the more i've used it the better i think it is, not saying its amazing but if definately appears to give a much better representation of whats around compared to the old squiggly lines setup. maybe its just me?
I agree.

I had a USS model 3 previously, changing to a non USS Model 3 three months ago, so I have recent experience on both.

Based on my experiences so far, I much prefer the non USS solution with the holiday update.

Something that resembles an ultrasound rather than your actual surroundings doesn't look like a reasonable level to me...
Yes it’s black and white but the quality yesterday was impressive to me. Obviously a lot of cars have 360 degree cameras which Tesla hasn’t been able to do because it doesn’t have cameras all around or pointed in the right direction. However they’ve kind of recreated this using a NN and I think that’s pretty impressive.

Other manufacturers can do.. no reason why not in tesla

i.e. Google maps (on which tesla nav is based) already has EV chargers in there (google maps also has option to select that your car is an EV...)
Is it getting the cars battery state and deciding to preheat the battery if there’s enough juice to get there with CarPlay / Android Auto?

Look not saying they cannot probably get this working and Apple had a demo of an amazing CarPlay dash car a couple of years ago so probably CarPlay can do this, it’s the cars that cannot yet.

Moot point of course, cannot see Tesla ever adding this so if you want it you’ll need another brand.

Reactions: Pandinium
Surely 18 months would be long enough?
This stuff does take a good while and it’s about having enough data and computer power to train it. Ideally they’d have done this before they removed the sensors but it feels like they’d barely started on it before they did.

It’s effectively a part of the full FSD and how it works out if there’s something there or not. That’s taken an age to develop and still is no where near done.

Reactions: goRt
They took our money for this 'feature' before it was vaguely done, and its still not done now.
I'd pay £1,000 to have working USS and a rain sensor fitted to my car, if it was an option. Tesla need to understand just how absolutel bollocks their TeslaVision system is in bad weather, on rural roads etc.
I bet it works great in california. in summer.
We should all be demanding money back from Tesla for the park-assist functionality they mis-sold. They can have the money back in 2030 when it works.

They took our money for this 'feature' before it was vaguely done, and its still not done now.
I'd pay £1,000 to have working USS and a rain sensor fitted to my car, if it was an option. Tesla need to understand just how absolutel bollocks their TeslaVision system is in bad weather, on rural roads etc.
I bet it works great in california. in summer.
We should all be demanding money back from Tesla for the park-assist functionality they mis-sold. They can have the money back in 2030 when it works.
Sense at last!

Yeah it seems if you turn if off after setting one then you get no sound on locking, mine used to toot the horn a bit. I assume that's another setting i need to turn back on...
Thanks, that's a bit of a pain. I presume one of the standard options is the old simple lock sounds, or is that too much to ask 😁

Very used to walking away and hearing the bong to confirm the car has locked.

Is it getting the cars battery state and deciding to preheat the battery if there’s enough juice to get there with CarPlay / Android Auto?

Look not saying they cannot probably get this working and Apple had a demo of an amazing CarPlay dash car a couple of years ago so probably CarPlay can do this, it’s the cars that cannot yet.

Moot point of course, cannot see Tesla ever adding this so if you want it you’ll need another brand.
I agree - as much as it grates me to say, Apple have a fairly proven method of developing and releasing updates, I don’t think it would take them more than a quick brainstorm to add car battery usage range etc into the system to accommodate it (if it doesn’t already).

Tesla seem to struggle with software - I mean we have been beta testing for years now and we take two steps back one step forward, for a while now I am waiting for the car to work as advertised.

Reactions: FastLaneJB