Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Holiday Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They took our money for this 'feature' before it was vaguely done, and its still not done now.
I'd pay £1,000 to have working USS and a rain sensor fitted to my car, if it was an option. Tesla need to understand just how absolutel bollocks their TeslaVision system is in bad weather, on rural roads etc.
I bet it works great in california. in summer.
We should all be demanding money back from Tesla for the park-assist functionality they mis-sold. They can have the money back in 2030 when it
I think paying for hw4 (not that it’s possible) to fix issues with parking wipers lights etc would be acceptable IF it fixed anything, but it is the same even on new hw :(

Reactions: drewpost
Other manufacturers can do.. no reason why not in tesla

i.e. Google maps (on which tesla nav is based) already has EV chargers in there (google maps also has option to select that your car is an EV...)
Agreed. In its current form CarPlay simply uses the vehicle screen as an external display. There are already some aftermarket solutions that allow for CarPlay in a Tesla, but they are a bit kludgey. There really is no reason Tesla can’t allow CarPlay.

Apple is reportedly working on including more integration with future versions of CarPlay that would allow it to control heating, air conditioning, and other aspects of the car’s function. I could understand why Tesla, or another car maker may be a bit more hesitant to allow that, but that’s different from what we’re talking about here.

Reactions: Js1977
Tesla seem to struggle with software

You've not tried VW then? 🤡 (or indeed many of the others ... many restricted to OTA for Infotainment only, return to Dealer for other portions, very few updates per annum, curtailed ("We have decided not to release this for old cars, even though originally promised" [VW again]) and so on

You've not tried VW then? 🤡 (or indeed many of the others ... many restricted to OTA for Infotainment only, return to Dealer for other portions, very few updates per annum, curtailed ("We have decided not to release this for old cars, even though originally promised" [VW again]) and so on
Oh no other car manufacturer can, but when they are trying to avoid car play saying our product is better - then your fighting a software and hardware giant, at least be good at it.

I saw a few things about the companies developing in house software only so they can re sell the telematics themself and take in more cash after sales.

I’m just salty because I got a ticket that my friend using Waze didn’t who followed 10 mins behind me 🤣

Reactions: sleepydoc
Agreed. In its current form CarPlay simply uses the vehicle screen as an external display. There are already some aftermarket solutions that allow for CarPlay in a Tesla, but they are a bit kludgey. There really is no reason Tesla can’t allow CarPlay.

Apple is reportedly working on including more integration with future versions of CarPlay that would allow it to control heating, air conditioning, and other aspects of the car’s function. I could understand why Tesla, or another car maker may be a bit more hesitant to allow that, but that’s different from what we’re talking about here.
I bit the bullet for Christmas and bought an additional display mounted behind the wheel, solely for CarPlay... Personally, I think it's life changing and wish I'd done it sooner.

My version of a Christmas Update... but for an extra £150

Anybody tried this for Tesla CarPlay? £80

I did. Returned it and went for the separate display instead. I've found that you actually need the extra screen real estate.
Otherwise you're finding yourself constantly switching between Tesla Navigation, controls & this CarPlay output.
Additionally, as this uses the Tesla Web Browser, sometimes, the refresh doesn't work and the automatic connection at the start of the drive can be erratic.

Anybody tried this for Tesla CarPlay? £80

I was tempted. I've used their other Carplay dongles which have worked well.

You can get this Tesla unit much cheaper direct from Carlinkit for US$55 using the code Save30. I've ordered previously them direct a couple times and delivery has been relatively quick.

Carlinkit: CarlinKit Wireless CarPlay Android auto Mini Box Adapter For Tesla Mod

I bit the bullet for Christmas and bought an additional display mounted behind the wheel, solely for CarPlay... Personally, I think it's life changing and wish I'd done it sooner.

I wouldn't mind such a thing but being the wheel might be a bit of a pain for interaction as well as tampering with the air vent :confused:

Reactions: sleepydoc
You can have this for £79 (the price has gone up to £99 now) works as a charm and I am using it for my other car.

Carplay in a Tesla - nope, never ever - I won’t do it unless Uncle Timmy agree to do a deal with Elon and hand over the big Apple keys to Elon :). Done my Christmas winding up.

Btw why do you even need it in a Tesla, just for cameras - cmon I got caught by a camera while I was using one of the TomToms with all speed camera stuff and all - The mayor will do whatever it takes to catch a motorist and collect fines. It will only help to soften the wounds if you have waze with all the camera details and get caught with something else.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: laiod
return to Dealer for other portions,
Not only that, some dealers keep the update in a pen drive and carry it on their coat pocket and only update their mate cars and the rest of it either you just give up as there wont be any major change in terms of interface or the ease of using the software. They were all clunky irrespective of the versions of the software.

I agree - as much as it grates me to say, Apple have a fairly proven method of developing and releasing updates, I don’t think it would take them more than a quick brainstorm to add car battery usage range etc into the system to accommodate it (if it doesn’t already).

Tesla seem to struggle with software - I mean we have been beta testing for years now and we take two steps back one step forward, for a while now I am waiting for the car to work as advertised.
Yeah there's other stuff I'd prefer they do like improve the wipers.

I think of course the other catch is they'd have to pay Apple a licensing fee per car they sold, no doubt same for Google. That goes completely against Tesla's model of stripping cost and bringing as much as possible in-house.
I think paying for hw4 (not that it’s possible) to fix issues with parking wipers lights etc would be acceptable IF it fixed anything, but it is the same even on new hw :(
I believe they've said they will continue to focus on HW3 and HW4 is actually going to run behind. No doubt down to the number of cars and data they have with HW3 vs HW4. Also they don't have enough compute to train both of them up properly I expect so they've got to pick their battles.

As opposed to paying Apple for;
  1. Apple Music
  2. Apple Podcasts
  3. Apple’s App Store for the app
In reality it’s nothing to do with paying Apple and more to do with them being tight and not wanting to pay for the extra hardware needed to run CarPlay
Don't believe it needs extra hardware and I don't think they have to pay for things like Apple Music. Apple makes their money from people subscribing to the service so they long since started allowing this. Same as TV's can have AirPlay and Apple TV in them.

I'm sure it has to do with them being tight but also wanting to control the user experience. The routing when integrated with the car is better than it without. Yes you might not have your favourite SatNav or in the past no speed cameras but the benefits for an EV using the native navigation are a lot.