Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Holiday Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For comparison (ref post #777), images from Tesla Vision in darkness including "you don't say!" messaging.

IMG_8902.jpg

Drive
F.jpg
Forward.jpg

Reverse
R.jpg
Reverse.jpg

Reactions: Bouba
One of the downsides of USS is how basic they are. Yeah it's great that the car can tell me I'm 26cm away from a wall, but it can't give you any nuance about anything but the nearest 'object' that it's bouncing sound off of.

My drive has a dip where it meets the road, nothing as severe to catch the skirt but enough to make the USS think I'm driving at a wall, so I'm now conditioned to just ignore it at that point and keep driving. If a cat, kid, brick or anything else was a foot beyond the dip then the USS wouldn't see it and warn me or even be able to point it out until I was passed the dip. The vision based stuff will at least give more information about the thing behind the thing behind.

It's not perfect, and USS will beat it for certain tasks, but I'm looking forward to getting it. The white line stuff (parking lines!) looks really useful given my OCD demands perfect alignment every time.

I have regularly been getting "your device has stopped charging" and it'll always resume instantly, it's just annoying to get that notification. Tesla told me it's a known bug and a future update would fix it. It's not fixed after this update.

It's incredible, you'd think two pieces of official Tesla tech, car and charger, would work seamlessly or at least be a priority if they didn't and it was widely known.

Thankfully the car is still fast and very fun to drive and that was the main buying point. Seems tech is always gonna be tech eg buggy, troublesome, not perfect. For me the tech is 98% great, sure I'll moan about the 2% but overall happy.

I think sometimes we have high expectations for what is explicitly still in development and we are the crash test guinea pigs, so to speak.

I have regularly been getting "your device has stopped charging" and it'll always resume instantly, it's just annoying to get that notification. Tesla told me it's a known bug and a future update would fix it. It's not fixed after this update.

It's incredible, you'd think two pieces of official Tesla tech, car and charger, would work seamlessly or at least be a priority if they didn't and it was widely known.

Thankfully the car is still fast and very fun to drive and that was the main buying point. Seems tech is always gonna be tech eg buggy, troublesome, not perfect. For me the tech is 98% great, sure I'll moan about the 2% but overall happy.

I think sometimes we have high expectations for what is explicitly still in development and we are the crash test guinea pigs, so to speak.
I was getting the stopped charging notification (I think the charge did momentarily stop and then resume) what fixed it was making sure the wall charger had a more stable WiFi connection.

But that was just my experience.

I was getting the stopped charging notification (I think the charge did momentarily stop and then resume) what fixed it was making sure the wall charger had a more stable WiFi connection.

But that was just my experience.
My charger (and car) are just out of home WiFi. I turn on an extender when there's an update, otherwise they don't get WiFi. That's probably why it happens but it's an odd bug.
Separately, I often get an immediate "charger not connected properly" literally as I plug it in, another one to ignore.

For comparison (ref post #777), images from Tesla Vision in darkness including "you don't say!" messaging.

Just curious. Was the car moved there after it got dark, or might it have remembered things from when it was lighter?

Also, could you do same nose in?

It’s pretty good if that’s what it can see when it’s dark. Our rear view camera is the goto view when manoeuvring off our drive in the dark. It’s much better at seeing things than my eyes looking in the mirrors. No reference point for the other cameras in the dark. USS though if foggy. They picked up a tractor that I was reversing towards (doing U turn on a farm) long before camera and my eyes could but that was in the days when it still anti glare dimmed door mirrors when reversing.

Just curious. Was the car moved there after it got dark, or might it have remembered things from when it was lighter?

Also, could you do same nose in?
The car was parked at 18.30 on Thursday and hasn't moved since. It was reversed in as I always do and it's plugged in & charging tonight but will be gone before it is dark again tomorrow evening.

Red-orange behind the car on the daytime images implies that there is a possible obstruction whereas the camera is presumably seeing the change from gravel to paving as 'a kerb'. In the dark this must not be registering hence the absence of the warning colours and an apparently greater distance to 'something' (no level change either way so the dark image is more accurate).

It's all very interesting but hardly an endorsement for trusting the cars vision over my own. Useful but not reliable enough apart from parking in bays or aligning straight using a fixed reference. There is no way I will be stopping to manoeuvre the screen image whilst parking (which defaults back to overhead almost as soon as you take your finger off-screen) so only the view from above is of any practical assistance.

• Helpful
Reactions: MrBadger
Doubt it. The Ryzen cars use different connectors and batteries. I would pay for one if it was offered though.
I don't actually think this is true, Ryzen came out only about 3 months before USS were removed and people are conflating the two in error. I have Ryzen and USS and don't have the visualisation.

At the moment, as you would expect Tesla are deploying this feature only on cars without USS, I doubt the media computers cpu is relevant. Maybe at some point they will decide it exceeds USS ability and switch.

Reactions: Durzel
The car was parked at 18.30 on Thursday and hasn't moved since. It was reversed in as I always do and it's plugged in & charging tonight but will be gone before it is dark again tomorrow evening.

Red-orange behind the car on the daytime images implies that there is a possible obstruction whereas the camera is presumably seeing the change from gravel to paving as 'a kerb'. In the dark this must not be registering hence the absence of the warning colours and an apparently greater distance to 'something' (no level change either way so the dark image is more accurate).

It's all very interesting but hardly an endorsement for trusting the cars vision over my own. Useful but not reliable enough apart from parking in bays or aligning straight using a fixed reference. There is no way I will be stopping to manoeuvre the screen image whilst parking (which defaults back to overhead almost as soon as you take your finger off-screen) so only the view from above is of any practical assistance.
I can see this getting more accurate over time...first by Tesla improving the capability....and possibly by memorizing frequently used places like your driveway

The latest update seems to have made the auto wipers much worse. They seem oblivious to a soft spring rain, like an English rain. So light, yet endless, from a leaden sky.

I was surprised to see mine seem pretty decent post update today - went for about 5 or 6 miles each way in this drizzle we have and not once did the car decide that I need full power for a change at various speeds up to NSL.

The latest update seems to have made the auto wipers much worse. They seem oblivious to a soft spring rain, like an English rain. So light, yet endless, from a leaden sky.
Exactly. Today it was raining lightly all day. I waited as long as I could see through the windshield until I had to use a single wipe. And again and again. The automatic wipers didn't turn on at all.