Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Holiday Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Being bombarded by sycophants 24/7 must be something else
1703935436464.png

While my auto wipers have been significantly better on my last two drives, until this remains for the forceable future I’m inclined to agree with @Durzel

I’ve probably had the right rain at the right time of the day. I find it almost impossible to believe that after almost 8 years of crap wipers they’ve suddenly nailed it.

My wipers are always unresponsive with spray or with raindrops on the windscreen after the rain has stopped. They require a manual wipe to clear even if ignored for several minutes.

Currently 2023.44.30.5 & still the same today. In nearly four years of ownership & two Teslas this has not changed so it may be safe to assume that it is beyond the abilities of Tesla's cameras.

Reactions: Obie
Currently 2023.44.30.5 & still the same today. In nearly four years of ownership & two Teslas this has not changed so it may be safe to assume that it is beyond the abilities of Tesla's cameras.
Exactly this. It does amuse me that after nearly every update someone will claim the wipers have improved. It never happens.

I’ll just have to accept that my supposedly incredibly technically advanced car has, in some respects, worse tech than a cheap 20 year old hatch.

Reactions: Tony Hoyle
While my auto wipers have been significantly better on my last two drives, until this remains for the forceable future I’m inclined to agree with @Durzel

I’ve probably had the right rain at the right time of the day. I find it almost impossible to believe that after almost 8 years of crap wipers they’ve suddenly nailed it.
Also people give Tesla so much latitude for what is by now a basic convenience feature that exists on pretty much everything.

“It’s coming in the FSD stack, which we haven’t got yet”
“Just wait for Dojo/V12, it’ll solve this”

etc.. etc.. just excuses after excuses.

Just driven 170 miles Sussex - Somerset, mainly motorway in heavy showers / spray / occasional sunshine.

Wipers on auto were as bad as I can remember them - on 'intermittent' in torrential rain when 'fast continuous' was required. Not even noticing very heavy spray from trucks.

I can think of very few occasions when the auto-wiper setting was appropriate to the conditions in over 3 hours of driving.

How do they manage to get it so wrong after all this time?!
Exactly my experience over the last few days - the last update has made them less sensitive which I find dangerous. I never used to have much of an issue with dry wiping, but would prefer that than having to manually activate the wipers every 10 seconds or so.

The common (almost guaranteed) achilles heel is unresponsive wiping of spray from roads in daylight, light rain in darkness and reluctance to adjust after a heavy downpour. Many others seem to report these same circumstances.

There are a few other issues that we have but very much due to the particular circumstances rather than anything you could consistently pinpoint although bright sun after heavy rain through dappled shade seems to be a recurring but not guaranteed trigger.

I’ll only believe something has changed when the former scenarios are reported fixed by numerous posts, especially spray from the road as that’s almost guaranteed on a motorway when overtaking lorries kicking up spray in daylight.

Crazy how so many find the car better, some worse and some indifferent. Personally I think the current update has made the car as good as it’s been. I pretty much only do long range trips in mine and think it’s great.

There are 2 versions being tested - .6 (being replaced by .7) and the more prevalent .5, people stating "I'm on the latest version" don't help

Why didn't they just put an IR sensor in 😞
I'm assuming cameras did well in lab tests and now it has real world release they've found the actual limits and we'll never see an improvement because of tech limitation.

That's my opinion, I think the camera sensor isn't powerful enough and never will be, otherwise it would have been solved by now.

But once you're this committed to the tech you can't say "Sorry guys, they're 90% auto wipers on your self driving car"

I'm assuming cameras did well in lab tests and now it has real world release they've found the actual limits and we'll never see an improvement because of tech limitation.

That's my opinion, I think the camera sensor isn't powerful enough and never will be, otherwise it would have been solved by now.

But once you're this committed to the tech you can't say "Sorry guys, they're 90% auto wipers on your self driving car"
What, and spend 10 bucks a car on proven tech when this will be fully operational in 2 weeks

For the same reason they took away ultrasonics 6 months before there was ANY replacement system, and a full year before a camera based system that approaches usability (but is still fundamentally flawed). Hubris, and it helped their margins.

That being said I can’t blame Tesla too much because if people are going to carry on buying the cars regardless and excuse degraded or missing features then it simply validates the decision. It is pretty sad though, building down to cost.

Reactions: Dilly and goRt
I saw a message for the first time today. Maybe new in recent update?

Not particularly interesting or insightful but it appeared each time I was a long way into a tunnel and thankfully disappeared once I came out into the open.

View attachment 1004541

I go through the Queensway/Birkenhead-Liverpool Mersey Tunnel fairly often and that message has appeared the last few times. The paradox is that there's only one way out going west and two going east, so it's pretty difficult to get lost!