Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Holiday Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its not for your safety, it's for Tesla's safety against being sued.
This is my main gripe with Tesla to be honest.

I love the fact that they can make stuff better via software, but i really hate that they can also arbitrarily make it worse or decide to just take away stuff you paid for and the car was advertised as having.

It's a bit like this new "5 strikes".

When i bought the car it was advertised as coming with basic AP, now they made it so that if i get 5 disconnects they treat me like a child that needs to be put into timeout in the corner until i behave like they want me to.

There is no mention of, if these will "expire" or if i can have a forced disconnect on the 1st of january 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027 and 2028 and then in 2028 i will have to live without AP for a week because of this.

What's even more annoying is, i have had disconnects because the "Is someone holding the steering wheel" algorithm is retarded, some times i need to barely touch the steering wheel to "reset" it, and sometimes i need to physically force it OUT of AP to get it to acknowledge that i am actually holding the steering wheel.

I am used to just "wiggle" the stering wheel in a certain way to get rid of the nag, but i have had instances where i have held the steeringwheel and been concentrated on looking out the window instead of looking to see if the screen is flashing blue, which have meant that i did not notice it was unhappy because it did not think i was holding the steering wheelm when in fact i was, and when it beeped as a "final warning" my usual "wiggle" did not work and before i was able to do another one using more force, it kicked me out of AP and refused to re-engage before i had been in P.

I'm surprised we haven't seen more restrictions on the use of Autopilot before now.

This stems from Tesla creating the perception among potential buyers that the words Autopilot and Full Self Driving actually mean what they say. Additionally, 'drive hands free from A-B', fanciful deadlines for 'Robotaxis', investor day hype, a number of high profile accidents in the USA and the fact that ALL of us are Beta testers then results a situation where the NHTSA must be compelled to camp down on Tesla.

The excessive nannying from our American designed and branded cars is the result of that.

What's even more annoying is, i have had disconnects because the "Is someone holding the steering wheel" algorithm is retarded, some times i need to barely touch the steering wheel to "reset" it, and sometimes i need to physically force it OUT of AP to get it to acknowledge that i am actually holding the steering wheel.
I was thinking about this the other day. In order to prevent the steering wheel weights cheat I wonder if Tesla change the torque disconnect pressure on every trip.

I was thinking about this the other day. In order to prevent the steering wheel weights cheat I wonder if Tesla change the torque disconnect pressure on every trip.
Yeah i dont know, i would say it "feels" like they change it for every time it "challenges" you to "Move the steering wheel".

I follow some youtube channels and one of the ones in my own language, the guy actually has a Tesla and he always compare the "Do you hold the steeringwheel" test the cars do with his Tesla and almost exclusively he says something like "This is much better than my Tesla".

I dont know why but on the Tesla it almost seems like what they do is measure how much current the motor that controls the steering wheel draws, to keep it at the position they want it, and use that. So if you "fight" the motor it will need more current to "fight back" while on other cars it seems they more or less just use the SAS (Steering wheel Angle Sensor). This is the sensor used by the ESP system to try and help you get the car travelling in the "direction" you "point" the steering wheel in case the road is slippery for example.

So most other cars use the SAS and some even have capacitive measurements....Like it can feel that something is touching the steering wheel just like your phone can "feel" it when you touch the screen. My boss has this in his BMW, he basically just have to touch the steering wheel with one finger for it to not nag him.

That youtube guy i mention, i don't remember him ever saying that this function worked worse than his Tesla on any of the cars he drove....Including the Chinese ones.

I guess Tesla could argue, their system is safer but it IS annoying that i can not just hold the steering wheel without moving it, when i drive along a long straight piece of the motorway.

If Tesla would then atleast do something so that as long as it predicts i am actually looking at the road ahead, it would make the time between nags longer, there would be a benefit to the new camera based attentiveness system.

When i bought the car it was advertised as coming with basic AP, now they made it so that if i get 5 disconnects they treat me like a child that needs to be put into timeout in the corner until i behave like they want me to.

Surely that's not Tesla? That's government et al saying "Your car has far too little checking on the Driver, and lots of drivers have done daft things - like stuffing an orange into the steering wheel and climbing into the back seat".

Apparently this is Tesla's fault and is why "you and I can't have nice things"

it IS annoying that i can not just hold the steering wheel without moving it

Its worked for me since first Tesla back in 2015. I have righthand at 5-O'clock resting on door arm rest (RHD here of course), and the weight of my arm provides enough rotational-torque

My boss has this in his BMW, he basically just have to touch the steering wheel with one finger for it to not nag him.

Not sure he's going to be able to do much, in an emergency, with one finger on the wheel ... check your CV and/or promotion application letter :)

Surely that's not Tesla? That's government et al saying "Your car has far too little checking on the Driver, and lots of drivers have done daft things - like stuffing an orange into the steering wheel and climbing into the back seat".

Apparently this is Tesla's fault and is why "you and I can't have nice things"
Fair enough, but that is the US government saying this, i dont see how that should affect drivers everywhere else.

There are LOTS of features that i am not getting here because our rules are stricter, but that does not mean other countries does not get them.

For example....The feature where, if your car has been in an accident the hazards flash faster than if you put them on, because the car has a flat.

That feature is not available here because the laws dictate the blink rate of a hazard warning, so they can not enable that here as long as the laws are like this, even though it makes sense.

I have not heard our government complain about this problem, so why would this recall affect my car....The recall was not even on the changelog list.

The EU is now saber-rattling about the sentry feature, they believe that if you leave sentry mode on, you are "filming general streets" and it is not allowed in the context of surveillance to do this by private people, you can only do this on private property.

I bet, if the EU mandates that Sentry is to be turned off in the EU, Tesla will not do so in the US.

Its worked for me since first Tesla back in 2015. I have righthand at 5-O'clock resting on door arm rest (RHD here of course), and the weight of my arm provides enough rotational-torque

Not sure he's going to be able to do much, in an emergency, with one finger on the wheel ... check your CV and/or promotion application letter :)
Offcourse not...But he is able to hold the steering wheel without having to constantly apply pressure to "tell" the car he is there.

Same as I've always done & I can't detect any difference since 30.44.1 -> .6 ->.8. This constant gentle pressure on the wheel has become so ingrained that I hardly notice it.

Fair enough, but that is the US government saying this, i dont see how that should affect drivers everywhere else.

There are LOTS of features that i am not getting here because our rules are stricter, but that does not mean other countries does not get them.

For example....The feature where, if your car has been in an accident the hazards flash faster than if you put them on, because the car has a flat.

That feature is not available here because the laws dictate the blink rate of a hazard warning, so they can not enable that here as long as the laws are like this, even though it makes sense.

I have not heard our government complain about this problem, so why would this recall affect my car....The recall was not even on the changelog list.

The EU is now saber-rattling about the sentry feature, they believe that if you leave sentry mode on, you are "filming general streets" and it is not allowed in the context of surveillance to do this by private people, you can only do this on private property.

I bet, if the EU mandates that Sentry is to be turned off in the EU, Tesla will not do so in the US.
You are making a good point. It shows that Tesla are still way too US-centric in their thinking.

See also: Matrix headlights.

Nothing at all stopping them rolling them out in the EU.. but since US law forbids them they just install the hardware with no software.

Tesla produce for the US.. anything that works anywhere else is a bonus.
I think the regulatory limitations on matrix headlights are now gone. Coming up two years now. So, I'd have thought they'd have done it by now if the only issue was regulations. I suspect the bigger issue is that it's a non-trivial problem to get them to flip and dance like the Valeo units we see on most European cars. And I suspect the people who can do the necessary s/w dev on it are all trying to get City Streets working.

See also: Matrix headlights.

Nothing at all stopping them rolling them out in the EU.. but since US law forbids them they just install the hardware with no software.

Tesla produce for the US.. anything that works anywhere else is a bonus.
In true Tesla style, it's gone for EU approval for the new highland headlights and not the lights that have been deployed for 21 years

On a side note Bjorn reports the highland headlights are not as good as the 3 refresh/Y

In true Tesla style, it's gone for EU approval for the new highland headlights and not the lights that have been deployed for 21 years

On a side note Bjorn reports the highland headlights are not as good as the 3 refresh/Y
I'd say that the chance of Tesla retrospectively applying for approval for the older existing models is slim unfortunately.

Reactions: goRt
I think the regulatory limitations on matrix headlights are now gone. Coming up two years now. So, I'd have thought they'd have done it by now if the only issue was regulations. I suspect the bigger issue is that it's a non-trivial problem to get them to flip and dance like the Valeo units we see on most European cars. And I suspect the people who can do the necessary s/w dev on it are all trying to get City Streets working.

Actually no, while the US regulations were changed the new rules have a lot of issues, and as a result no one is actually selling car with matrix lights in the US yet as far as I can see,

Offcourse not...But he is able to hold the steering wheel without having to constantly apply pressure to "tell" the car he is there.

The point I was making, flippantly, was that I reckon that BMW will be in the dock, same as Tesla, for "Too easy for driver to not be in control"

its a surprise to me that this hasn't happen sooner. When Tesla first came out you could drive hands-off-wheel for ages (on a decent straight road). People watched videos / read books / did texts / etc., had accidents, and got killed.

Then when Tesla shortened the time they stuffed Oranges in the wheel to simulate "rotational torque". heck, you could even buy devices (this forum had to ban posting of Amazon LINKs to buy such things ...)

Legislation is slow in catching up with actuality.

i really hate that they can also arbitrarily make it worse or decide to just take away stuff you paid for and the car was advertised as having.

been plenty of threads on here, over the years, where people who disagreed with a change have not installed the update, so you have that option. You are stuck with what-you've-got at that point, but then that IS what you bought,

And if there is a recall Tesla will, eventually, PUSH it to your car, even if you don't install it.