Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Holiday Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s really not…

I’ve made no changes to my driving style compared to before the update and spend 90% of the time on autopilot when on a dual carriageway and in being nagged no more than before the update.

Rest one hand on the steering wheel (my preference is bottom right utilising the arm rest) and look at the road (as you should have been pre and post update).

Reactions: M1tch
Hard to believe reading the angst in this (and several other) threads!
If you believe everything you read on the internet, you’d probably see out your existence in your bunker in your back garden.

Real world: a few vocal people complain on the internet while the vast majority don’t have any problems and get on with their lives.

To be honest, I’m flabbergasted that anything has a > 1 star review given it’s basically just a tool to threaten customer service staff these days. Who actually goes out of their way to write a positive/neutral review about anything?

.., Who actually goes out of their way to write a positive/neutral review about anything?

I do.... frequently. Particularly on Trustpilot.

I believe good service / products should be acknowledged.

I also feel that it is lazy just to write 1 or 5 * reviews when the truth is most frequently somewhere between the extremes.

Are you guys absolutely sure you are not getting a camera based nag?

The animation for the camera bag has a picture of a steering wheel which is unhelpful but the text is different….

I can’t say I’ve noticed any difference to the steering wheel nag since getting the update. I had two cars one with the update and one without at the start and A-B tested them, it was identical.

When both cars had the update, the steering wheel pressure was identical.
I am, it is the small steering wheel notice but the text reads something like "Keep your focus on the road" (Translated from memory from the Danish version)

Happens even if i look at the tesla screen for a few seconds to change the radio station or make a change in the navigation for example.

I do.... frequently. Particularly on Trustpilot.

I believe good service / products should be acknowledged.

I also feel that it is lazy just to write 1 or 5 * reviews when the truth is most frequently somewhere between the extremes.

Yes, unfortunately you are the minority and I would say that most people giving feedback are asked to do so. Also wether you or anyone put a good or bad review, none of you can dispute/argue with each other like it's done here. its just a case of what is acceptable for some is not for others and you cant really argue with that.

Based on some reviews, you wouldn't really consider buying a car would you?. But then again, we both know that on average none of these Marks have only sold 1200 vehicles in the UK :

I am, it is the small steering wheel notice but the text reads something like "Keep your focus on the road" (Translated from memory from the Danish version)

Happens even if i look at the tesla screen for a few seconds to change the radio station or make a change in the navigation for example.
Yes, that would be the camera based nag. If you enable AP and then immediately look away from the road, it will immediately nag you.

Wait a few seconds and it will not. If you are outside of this time, you’d need to be looking away for more than ‘a few’ seconds (3 in most peoples book) to trigger the nag.

And to be fair over 3 seconds is enough time at motorway speeds to go from ‘everything is fine’ to ‘massive collision that I didn’t realise was happening in front of me’.

Yes, that would be the camera based nag. If you enable AP and then immediately look away from the road, it will immediately nag you.

Wait a few seconds and it will not. If you are outside of this time, you’d need to be looking away for more than ‘a few’ seconds (3 in most peoples book) to trigger the nag.

And to be fair over 3 seconds is enough time at motorway speeds to go from ‘everything is fine’ to ‘massive collision that I didn’t realise was happening in front of me’.
I tried it where i looked at the screen for a second, then briefly looked at the road to see that everything was still clear. Doing this a few times in a row will still trigger it, even though i am looking at the road, and even though there is not a car in sight and even if there were a stopped car i would be able to see it 30 seconds in advance atleast.

Not a big problem i will just cover the camera for now, it is WAY to sensitive for my liking and sometimes when i AM looking ahead, it will still warn me.

I dont know if this is because i am wearing glasses and they "distort" the view of the angle my eyes are at, but it is really aggressive for my liking.

Most importantly...It was not at all aggressive previously, so this is something that objectively made the car worse for me.

Reactions: sleepydoc
nope imho
they just monitor the torque applied. if that is constant - disengages
This. several versions ago Tesla outwitted weights by monitoring torque consistency. A human cannot apply completely consistent torque like a weight can.
oh god.. I would kill someone for silent engage/disengage of AP. those bing bongs are the most annoying part of any longer trip... well, that and rattles
I think this is actually a safety issue and although they could be a bit softer, I don't disagree with the tones. Particularly when distinguishing between TACC and AP/FSD.

Tesla decreased the amount of torque required to stop a nag but that was many versions ago. I don't remember exactly when but it was at least a year ago. In my experience there hasn't been a change recently. Another factor is the variability in hardware between cars. At some point Tesla added an infrared light to the cabin camera to aid in nighttime monitoring. Some have theorized that covering up a camera with an infrared light will cause an error while doing so in an older one will not.

What has changed is the number of nags and what triggers them. Recent versions have become much more particular in this regard. I suspect you may have your American cousins to blame for this - there was recently and investigation but the NHTSA (highway safety administration) that required Tesla to change the driver monitoring systems because too many people were misusing the systems and/or using defeat devices.

As an American, I can only apologise for the stupidity of my brethren making life difficult to others. (I know we don't exactly have a monopoly on stupidity but we often seem to be markedly better!) I think part of it is the American legal and regulatory system as well. I'm not sure why Tesla should be responsible for drivers' lack of common sense, but here we are...

Reactions: KennethS
I think this is actually a safety issue and although they could be a bit softer, I don't disagree with the tones. Particularly when distinguishing between TACC and AP/FSD.

Tesla decreased the amount of torque required to stop a nag but that was many versions ago. I don't remember exactly when but it was at least a year ago. In my experience there hasn't been a change recently. Another factor is the variability in hardware between cars. At some point Tesla added an infrared light to the cabin camera to aid in nighttime monitoring. Some have theorized that covering up a camera with an infrared light will cause an error while doing so in an older one will not.

What has changed is the number of nags and what triggers them. Recent versions have become much more particular in this regard. I suspect you may have your American cousins to blame for this - there was recently and investigation but the NHTSA (highway safety administration) that required Tesla to change the driver monitoring systems because too many people were misusing the systems and/or using defeat devices.

As an American, I can only apologise for the stupidity of my brethren making life difficult to others. (I know we don't exactly have a monopoly on stupidity but we often seem to be markedly better!) I think part of it is the American legal and regulatory system as well. I'm not sure why Tesla should be responsible for drivers' lack of common sense, but here we are...
Nope, it is BS that is a Safety issue, IMHO.

And here's why:
It is not that you enable AP by accident. You need double tap on handle in order to enable it, and it is by default predetermined action

Again, all other manufacturers (by that I mean all main ones, like BMW, VW, etc) enable AP like feature silently, with visual indicator only.

Moreover, there is already visual clue which indicates which mode it is. Again - that is sufficient for all other manufacturers but not Tesla? BS.

Also, if that WAS safety issue, Tesla would not allow you to enable TACC silently (you can turn off TACC chime).

That alone shows that it is definitely not a safety issue.

It is just bloody stupid tesla stubbornness with trying to upsell FSD and EAP.

That is why these morons do not allow AP auto resume by default on standart AP and you need S3XY buttons in order to have it

Tesla with all it's supped AI should be able to determine that if I had AP enabled and I changed the lane and it is still same dual carriage, then well, I would like my AP back. But noooo, i have to double tap again, bing bong etc.

Btw, in Murica I think you can disable ne nag with turn of the right wheel on steering wheel (AP/TACC speed limit adjuster). This is the thing which we never ever had in Europe

• Disagree
Reactions: sleepydoc
Nope, it is BS that is a Safety issue, IMHO.

And here's why:
It is not that you enable AP by accident. You need double tap on handle in order to enable it, and it is by default predetermined action

Again, all other manufacturers (by that I mean all main ones, like BMW, VW, etc) enable AP like feature silently, with visual indicator only.

Moreover, there is already visual clue which indicates which mode it is. Again - that is sufficient for all other manufacturers but not Tesla? BS.

Also, if that WAS safety issue, Tesla would not allow you to enable TACC silently (you can turn off TACC chime).

That alone shows that it is definitely not a safety issue.

It is just bloody stupid tesla stubbornness with trying to upsell FSD and EAP.

That is why these morons do not allow AP auto resume by default on standart AP and you need S3XY buttons in order to have it

Tesla with all it's supped AI should be able to determine that if I had AP enabled and I changed the lane and it is still same dual carriage, then well, I would like my AP back. But noooo, i have to double tap again, bing bong etc.

Btw, in Murica I think you can disable ne nag with turn of the right wheel on steering wheel (AP/TACC speed limit adjuster). This is the thing which we never ever had in Europe
but you can double tap the stalk and not enable AP as you intended, or you can tug a bit too hard on the wheel and disable AP without realizing it.

To be honest i think the reason you are not allowed to make lane changes and have AP continue is because they need something that differentiates it from NOA/EAP

The auto-lanechange is literally the only feature i want from the NOA package (EAP is not relevant here, i only get auto stop at red light and stop signs and nothing else) here the NOA package cost full price, but only contain auto lanechange and auto positioning at junctions and so on.

If they added the auto-lanechange, where i only had to indicate and it changed lanes automatically there would be NO way i would buy NOA (There is none anyway, the price is insane, compared to what i get).

My 2 previous cars, admittedly only equipped with lane assist, would let me enable lane assist and if i wanted to change lanes, i indicated and they would temporarily let me cross the line, but as soon as it detected i was in a lane again, it would autoengage.

In that regard, my 2023 Tesla is less equipped than my previous chinese EV and the bog standard GM diesel i owned before that.

Tesla is beginning to lag behind on these things, most cheaper chinese EV's that offer this feature have it as standard and not as a multi $1000s addon.

It also baffles me a bit how Tesla since january 2023 has lowered the price of a LR Model Y with about 30%, but the NOA/FSD packages cost the same as before.

I would argue that if Tesla slashed the price to 1/3 of what they ask now, they would sell more than 3 times more of these, thus in reality making more money.

When it comes down to software, it cost the same to develop for 10 users and 10 million users, so what you would ideally do is adjust the price to a point where you made the most money, right now my guestimate is that at the most 1% of Tesla owners in Denmark have bought any of the 2 packages.

Imagine if they slashed the price to 1/3 and suddenly 10% bought it.

But that's not how EAP/EAP works. He's asking for it to automatically disengage and reengage after a lane change, not to carry out the lane change for you as EAP/NOA does.
I take your point but if AP automatically re-engaged after a manual lane change and didn’t bong all the freaking time then there’d be virtually no point to EAP.

I’m not defending EAP here, I think AP is artificially hobbled to sell an expensive set of EAP gimmicks, most of which don’t work on models without USS.

But I think while people are buying EAP in order to get the features they (rightly, imo) feel should be part of the AP suite, Tesla are going to keep taking their money.

Reactions: WannabeOwner