Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 M3 RWD + Erange Tires = M3 Highland range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the ride is smooth at 60-80mph, it's probably not a wheel balance issue. That would manifest as a shake or vibration. Maybe a bad tire, or suddenly a bad wheel bearing perhaps.
Steering wheel seems to shake a little at that speed - I tried testing wheel bearing by veering left and right and sound stays the same. Also the sound changes over different pavement which I read indicates something with tire. Going to have them re-check tires balance / alignment and see if they can also check for any imperfections. It was quiet the first day I got them from what I remember so maybe a weight fell off possibly or lug nuts came slightly loose.

Steering wheel seems to shake a little at that speed - I tried testing wheel bearing by veering left and right and sound stays the same. Also the sound changes over different pavement which I read indicates something with tire. Going to have them re-check tires balance / alignment and see if they can also check for any imperfections. It was quiet the first day I got them from what I remember so maybe a weight fell off possibly or lug nuts came slightly loose.
Definitely get the balance checked then. Probably not alignment related. Also have them check for any bent wheels when they are on the balancer. A lot of tire places totally ignore if there is a bend and never tell the customer.. constantly re-balancing even though it will never work.

Got these Sailun's today and I now notice a humming sound at higher speeds, Not sure if it's break in period or maybe bad balancing by the techs. I got these + alignment and the hum is so loud at 60-80mph. Going to see tech again to make sure they balanced them right. I see online people say it could be wheel bearings but my last tires didn't sound like that and they weren't loud enough they'd "cover up" a bad wheel bearing so not sure what the deal is. The ride is nice though and handles well in snow.
You certainly should have the suspension and hubs/wheels checked; My previous Michelin tires were showing abnormal wear patterns and Tesla spent nearly two hours checking out the suspension but nothing showed up.

I have noticed that on pitted pavement, on the I-10, at ~80 mph that the E-range tires become a bit noisy but this immediately stopped when the pavement smoothed out.

Wheel balance, should not affect Noise, Most often tread pattern is the cause of tire noise.
Edit: removed Tire Manufacturer reference, as not sure which tires @jwalkingjon2 was using
235/40/19 Sailun E ranges, I got them rebalanced free at pepboys. The same issue is happening maybe slightly less bad but I don't really trust them since it doesn't even look like they touched the weights. It's hard to explain it almost feels like one of the tires is hitting the tiniest bump when driving it I had them check if it was out of round or defected they didn't see anything. I'm going to bring it to a guy in my town that has a Road Force elite balancer who said he'd balance it for $30 for me since i'm in the town, Lowering tire pressure to 40 psi seem to help a bit. Other than that the handling is great and the braking is extremely good, Not sure if my issue is a fluke or what, it seems almost like 1 tire is just slightly louder / almost not rolling exactly flat or smooth for some reason.

Going to a road force balancing place Thursday, I noticed the 2 front tires have red dots on them from manufacture and they're not near the valve stem or opposite which I believe they're suppose to be. Hopefully the place Thursday can fix it - they have 5 stars with hundreds of reviews vs pep boys with 1.5 stars so I'm thinking it's a shoddy balance / mounting job

Reactions: XPsionic
Called ETD tire since they have the road force elite and the guy asks what brand I tell him Sailun and he goes "Sailun that's considered like bottom of the barrel brand for tires usually i'm suprised people are putting them on teslas. Not to knock you or anything, I haven't seen that before so i'd love to look at it.", I'm going tomorrow but thought it was funny.

Yup, Sailun is one of the cheapest tires I can get from my wholesaler. They're not wrong, albeit a little harsh. :)

You are right that the red dot should be lined up with the valve stem in most cases. It just shows it was sloppily installed, and the balance probably wasn't too good either. I wouldn't be surprised if your wheels are counter-balanced in multiple spots as well. (Weight being installed on the opposite side of another weight to make the machine zero out - instead of fixing the initial weight to be correct) You should only have one section of weights on the inside of the wheel, and one section of weights on the outside section.

The dot isn't necessarily road-force related, but it's possible it can reduce it. That marks the light spot of the tire, and should be matched up with the heavy spot of the wheel (The TPMS sensor, generally). This reduces the amount of balancing weight needed, which generally produces a well-balanced assembly.

You may not have anything wrong with the tires and it just needs to be re-balanced by a competent technician. Getting them road-force balanced is going to be a huge perk. Though the red dot might not be lined up with the valve stem anymore after a successful road force balance. :)

Also $30 for a re-balance is an insane deal, especially if they're road forcing it. Are you sure they didn't mean $30/tire?? I charge $15/tire just for standard balancing.

• Helpful
Reactions: mpgxsvcd

Yup, Sailun is one of the cheapest tires I can get from my wholesaler. They're not wrong, albeit a little harsh. :)

You are right that the red dot should be lined up with the valve stem in most cases. It just shows it was sloppily installed, and the balance probably wasn't too good either. I wouldn't be surprised if your wheels are counter-balanced in multiple spots as well. (Weight being installed on the opposite side of another weight to make the machine zero out - instead of fixing the initial weight to be correct) You should only have one section of weights on the inside of the wheel, and one section of weights on the outside section.

The dot isn't necessarily road-force related, but it's possible it can reduce it. That marks the light spot of the tire, and should be matched up with the heavy spot of the wheel (The TPMS sensor, generally). This reduces the amount of balancing weight needed, which generally produces a well-balanced assembly.

You may not have anything wrong with the tires and it just needs to be re-balanced by a competent technician. Getting them road-force balanced is going to be a huge perk. Though the red dot might not be lined up with the valve stem anymore after a successful road force balance. :)

Also $30 for a re-balance is an insane deal, especially if they're road forcing it. Are you sure they didn't mean $30/tire?? I charge $15/tire just for standard balancing.
It was across the street from me i've been for a few years and I explained the situation to him - he said 30 bucks out the door since i'm basically a neighbor. He didn't have appointments till next week though so I ended up going to ETD tires that has a road force elite and is doing it for $80 total, Currently waiting here to get it back

Tires were all off according to ETD feels way better now albeit still a slight bumping feeling that seems from right tire apparently the road force was 23 pounds before they got it down to 15.
Nice! 15, in my experience, should still be smooth. But it's a Sailun, so that could be the best you can do. Or the wheel has a little bit of runout.

Reactions: 804son
Nice! 15, in my experience, should still be smooth. But it's a Sailun, so that could be the best you can do. Or the wheel has a little bit of runout.
Yeah i'm curious - the rear tires were 8 pounds and 11 while the front were both 13/15 so do you think having them rotate front to back may make it less noticeable? I think this may also help confirm if it is the tires, it is winter here and like 28 degrees F some days so I'm sure winter isn't helping the ride feel i'm assuming

Last edited:
Yeah i'm curious - the rear tires were 8 pounds and 11 while the front were both 13/15 so do you think having them rotate front to back may make it less noticeable? I think this may also help confirm if it is the tires, it is winter here and like 28 degrees F some days so I'm sure winter isn't helping the ride feel i'm assuming
Absolutely should put those tires and wheels up front.

Reactions: fiehlsport
Had the tires rotated and the bounce went to the rear so the steering wheel feels perfect so I guess a bad tire, having the 2 now in the rear swapped out by ETD and the other shop said I can return the 2 for a refund since we can't determine which 2. The 2 in the rear now oddly enough are 10 / 15 pounds on road force, It seems like it's coming from the side with 15 pounds force but ETD said they couldn't get it lower. Going to have them mount and road force the 2 new ones they put on and hopefully since they're mounting and road forcing it they can get it a bit lower. The guy at that shop is super nice in NJ the tires were $190 each but I told him walmart had them for $150 so he offered to match / beat them slightly and do the new road force free for it. So going on Tuesday once they get them in.

$150 is a good price for the 19s - that's not much more than the wholesale price. $190 is a lot of profit margin per tire...

Sounds like you have a good shop. The ERanges are a good tire - when they are "round." :) I guess this further reinforces the argument that the ERange isn't going to match a Michelin in all categories, it's just not possible that their quality control will be as good. But you just had some bad luck, not everyone will get a defective tire in their set of 4.

Got the 2 in rear swapped out that was where the 1 defective tire was. Shop got the new ones road forced for 8 pounds and 9 pounds since they match mounted compared to 13 and 15 on the old ones. Paid $390 after install + mount and road force with hazard warranty. Going to return the 2 in rear (not sure which was defective so did both). Overall after everything with installs and balancing paid about $980. Still way cheaper than what continental or pirreli would be and these sound and handle great so far compared to my old continentals but they were almost out of tread so not fair comparison. Will see how these hold up. I’m hoping they last at least 30-35k miles if so I’d be very happy with them.

Reactions: DuncanM