Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 model 3 LFP battery max amp charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

is the max charge rate for a new M3 RWD 32A? I can't set it any higher

Attachments

• image_123986672.JPG
    image_123986672.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 693
The HPWC can provide up to 48A so you might have required a 60A breaker anyway depending on code. I guess that varies depending on where you live.

Supercharging does not use that amperage setting... but supercharging on an RWD does have a lower max amps (thus kW) it can accept. Previous SR+ were limited to 170kW (instead of 250kW for AWD/Performance) but the latest RWD might go a bit higher... I don'T have the exact number but it's in that ballpark.

I guess i installed a 60amp breaker for no reason LOL Does this mean super chargers will also charge my car at a slower rate?

A RWD model 3 can only charge at 32amps. I am not going to address whether what you setup was for no reason or not, because you may or may not upgrade your vehicle later, etc.

Also, yes, your car will supercharge a bit slower than LR / P vehicles. That has nothing to do with the slower rate for home charging though, its not connected to that.

I guess i installed a 60amp breaker for no reason LOL
You're future proofed.
Does this mean super chargers will also charge my car at a slower rate?
Yes and no...

Peak SC rate is about 170kw but we have to remember that the LFP battery pack is only about 2/3 the size of the M3 AWD, so the peak SC C Rate is about 90% of the M3 AWD.

OTOH, the LFP battery charging curve seems better at high SOCs, so the 10-80 or 10-95% or 50-95% SC charge times can be faster in an LFP M3.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin