Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
N00b question, but do the M3s with USS have backup warning? I have the 2023 M3P and have yet to be warned of any car/person approaching from the rear/side. My Subaru Ascent would warn of ANYTHING that was in visual view of the camera when backing up. So far in the first ownership of the M3P it has never once warned of a car/person.

I wasn't sure if this was by design, or a limitation of the lack of USS.

Edit: Looks like Tesla considers backup warnings are part of park assist. I guess this answers my question :)
As you found out, any pings during backing up is part of Park Assist, so would not be present if you don't have USS.
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

Note however, even in cars with USS, all it does is ping and chime (presuming the object is detected by the USS, which it might not be, see the limitations in manual). It is not the same as other cars which have rear cross traffic alert, which would warn of vehicles or people approaching from the rear sides.

Reactions: phishphan
not having park assist with USS would have had me countless times scrape the s**t out of the low hanging front when parking with tall, mean concrete blocks ... when you get too close the sensors don't catch it anymore but when you are a few feet out they give you a good reading and when it says STOP you definitely should STOP. no forward facing park sensors in a car sitting that low is truly ridiculous.

not having park assist with USS would have had me countless times scrape the s**t out of the low hanging front when parking with tall, mean concrete blocks ... when you get too close the sensors don't catch it anymore but when you are a few feet out they give you a good reading and when it says STOP you definitely should STOP. no forward facing park sensors in a car sitting that low is truly ridiculous.
Likely will have to go back to asking your passenger to get out of the car and give the good ol' hand signal, lol.

Likely will have to go back to asking your passenger to get out of the car and give the good ol' hand signal, lol.
which is so ridiculous in the year 2022 ...

I'm still very very curious how Tesla will want to achieve forward park assist parity to USS with just a set of forward facing 1.2 MP cameras which are also very high up on the top of the windshield... because a park assist needs to be accurate +/- 10 inches (or better).

Reactions: Bricktopshog
which is so ridiculous in the year 2022 ...

I'm still very very curious how Tesla will want to achieve forward park assist parity to USS with just a set of forward facing 1.2 MP cameras which are also very high up on the top of the windshield... because a park assist needs to be accurate +/- 10 inches (or better).
I don't want to be a downer, but I don't think they will have a solution based on our current hardware. You can just see some of the writings on the wall. The latest update with Steam and how it's only for X and S. I can see that when/if they do have some sort of a forward park assist, it'll be on certain models or even only on their newer/upcoming cars with supported hardware.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
I don't want to be a downer, but I don't think they will have a solution based on our current hardware. You can just see some of the writings on the wall. The latest update with Steam and how it's only for X and S. I can see that when/if they do have some sort of a forward park assist, it'll be on certain models or even only on their newer/upcoming cars with supported hardware.
I agree with you. However I cling to the fact that the cameras can see moving traffic around the car, and the software can measure the distance to other cars. I'm hoping the outcry from everyone taking delivery at the beginning of 2023, plus any hits to the safety record, will spur old Elon to do something. Come on, Elon. (note to self: look up Steam....)

I agree with you. However I cling to the fact that the cameras can see moving traffic around the car, and the software can measure the distance to other cars. I'm hoping the outcry from everyone taking delivery at the beginning of 2023, plus any hits to the safety record, will spur old Elon to do something. Come on, Elon. (note to self: look up Steam....)
Yeah, for sure but early 2023 VIN is in a really weird spot anyway with no sensors and the random chatter about radar. We just got cameras, lol. Pretty sure we're a small percentage so not enough for Tesla to really care about us. In the forums, might sound like a lot but in a grand scheme of things, likely not. I see posting on reddit where people that just received delivery for their Tesla get made fun of for having a checklist reviewing panel gaps and etc. Here, we're crazy if we don't have a checklist, haha.

Reactions: dachshund
the question is... do the cameras accurately measure the traffic around the car by +/- 10 inches? I highly doubt that. Accuracy of +/- a few feet is probably super good for autopilot but utterly useless for park assist...

the question is... do the cameras accurately measure the traffic around the car by +/- 10 inches? I highly doubt that. Accuracy of +/- a few feet is probably super good for autopilot but utterly useless for park assist...
I'm pretty sure they do. (Well the cameras don't themselves, the NNs do it in the FSD computer from the video received from the cameras.) Enough so that sometimes it decides that it has to fold the mirrors to be able to shoot the gap between two objects.

And the occupancy network was good enough for the Optimus robot to be able to pick up a watering can, which requires much more precision than is required for the parking sensors.

w
I'm pretty sure they do. (Well the cameras don't themselves, the NNs do it in the FSD computer from the video received from the cameras.) Enough so that sometimes it decides that it has to fold the mirrors to be able to shoot the gap between two objects.

And the occupancy network was good enough for the Optimus robot to be able to pick up a watering can, which requires much more precision than is required for the parking sensors.
well then we won't need 4D Radar units being added to vehicles next year and it's time to delete those useless USS thingies from the X / S as well.... and we can expect feature parity to USS *just around the corner* (meanwhile Vision only AP still hasn't achieved the old 90 mph limit the radar cars had...)

I saw on Facebook that a guy posted that a Tesla Employee told him, that he got told, that the update fixing proximity warnings will come in mid January.

So you can take that to the bank!
as long as they don't delete USS input for legacy models and literally FORCE everyone onto this software bandaid solution... I don't care. Now - getting my radar deleted and being forced on "vision only" still ticks me off. Especially when you get bizarre phantom braking in middle of nowhere with nobody in front of you.

As you found out, any pings during backing up is part of Park Assist, so would not be present if you don't have USS.
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

Note however, even in cars with USS, all it does is ping and chime (presuming the object is detected by the USS, which it might not be, see the limitations in manual). It is not the same as other cars which have rear cross traffic alert, which would warn of vehicles or people approaching from the rear sides.
Ewww, that stinks. I figured with all of the self driving logic it could detect rear cross traffic. Really loved this feature on our Subaru.

I get the move away from USS, but I live in the paris in a driveway surrounded by limestone walls, the only way to park without sensors is to get a family member to help. For a new "luxury" car this is hopeless! It was not made aware that this feature would not be available, otherwise I would not have picked it up! Why hide it? Hopeless...
💯
Tesla should not have removed USS before the Tesla Vision software was ready.

Yeah, for sure but early 2023 VIN is in a really weird spot anyway with no sensors and the random chatter about radar. We just got cameras, lol. Pretty sure we're a small percentage so not enough for Tesla to really care about us. In the forums, might sound like a lot but in a grand scheme of things, likely not. I see posting on reddit where people that just received delivery for their Tesla get made fun of for having a checklist reviewing panel gaps and etc. Here, we're crazy if we don't have a checklist, haha.

It’s definitely not a “small percentage” of Tesla owners who will be without USS. Reuters has reported that Tesla expected to produce ~495,000 cars during the current quarter (October through December).

If Tesla doesn’t bring back parking assist by the end of this month, that means roughly a half million owners (and climbing fast) will likely be in the same situation as us, waiting patiently (or desperately) for parking assist to return. That’s >13% of Tesla owners. That figure would rise to >25% by the end of March 2023 at Tesla’s current pace of production, based on the fact that the company produced its 3 millionth car in August.