Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s definitely not a “small percentage” of Tesla owners who will be without USS. Reuters has reported that Tesla expected to produce ~495,000 cars during the current quarter (October through December).

If Tesla doesn’t bring back parking assist by the end of this month, that means more than a half million owners (and climbing fast) will likely be in the same situation as us, waiting patiently (or desperately) for parking assist to return. That’s >10% of Tesla owners. That figure would rise to >25% by the end of March 2023 at Tesla’s current pace of production, since the company produced its 3 millionth car in August.
~25k of those cars will be Model S/X and they still have USS. AFAIK

Last edited:
I'm still very very curious how Tesla will want to achieve forward park assist parity to USS with just a set of forward facing 1.2 MP cameras which are also very high up on the top of the windshield... because a park assist needs to be accurate +/- 10 inches (or better).
Short answer: they won’t. The supply issues gave Tesla another way to permanently save costs, and they embraced it.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Short answer: they won’t. The supply issues gave Tesla another way to permanently save costs, and they embraced it.
Short answer is they actually will (look up some of the occupancy network posts). It has object persistence, so as long as the cameras get a view of the objects while approaching, it'll be able to give a distance estimate. The main issue is how long that persists (like car waking up from sleep).

Short answer is they actually will (look up some of the occupancy network posts). It has object persistence, so as long as the cameras get a view of the objects while approaching, it'll be able to give a distance estimate. The main issue is how long that persists (like car waking up from sleep).
and the effin' accuracy. USS gives you distances +/- a few inches .... camera based distance detection ? anyones guess..

parking vision sensors telling me in feet how far i am away from an object would be close to useless for parking in tight spots

I get the move away from USS, but I live in the paris in a driveway surrounded by limestone walls, the only way to park without sensors is to get a family member to help. For a new "luxury" car this is hopeless! It was not made aware that this feature would not be available, otherwise I would not have picked it up! Why hide it? Hopeless...
You live in Paris? Isn't the usual way to park to just stop when you hit something?

Yeah, for sure but early 2023 VIN is in a really weird spot anyway with no sensors and the random chatter about radar. We just got cameras, lol. Pretty sure we're a small percentage so not enough for Tesla to really care about us. In the forums, might sound like a lot but in a grand scheme of things, likely not. I see posting on reddit where people that just received delivery for their Tesla get made fun of for having a checklist reviewing panel gaps and etc. Here, we're crazy if we don't have a checklist, haha.
I am growing very concerned that our cars 2023, with no USS, will be the odd ducks that will have a terrible resale value when compared to the 2022s and the "New" 2023s.

I am growing very concerned that our cars 2023, with no USS, will be the odd ducks that will have a terrible resale value when compared to the 2022s and the "New" 2023s.
Honestly, very likely but there's not much we can do about it now aside from simply enjoying the car. We already signed the agreement and it's already in our possession, can't back out. Even if you were to sell it, due to the market, you will already take a significant loss.

Honestly, very likely but there's not much we can do about it now aside from simply enjoying the car. We already signed the agreement and it's already in our possession, can't back out. Even if you were to sell it, due to the market, you will already take a significant loss.
Yes. And that market looks pretty chaotic going into next year. However, not to be Suzie Sunshine, but it is possible for the vision system to improve.

And since I'm one of the clueless few who picked up my MY right before they gave out free supercharger miles, I can't watch my favorite Youtube folks right now because they're crowing about all the freebies. Insert your favorite expletive.

Now to go enjoy my car! Love the car, not so much Tesla Inc.

Reactions: gglockner
DIdn't the update state that a software update will bring us back up to par in the near future? I guess we can always hope that our cars have the HD radar pre-installed and all will be good with a software update...

I would be fine paying a fee to have HD radar installed...

Reactions: Bricktopshog
DIdn't the update state that a software update will bring us back up to par in the near future? I guess we can always hope that our cars have the HD radar pre-installed and all will be good with a software update...
Yes, you heard correctly. And good luck to you. Hope is an amazing trait, one which I’ve abandoned regarding my Model 3.

• Love
Reactions: cappo3
Yes. And that market looks pretty chaotic going into next year. However, not to be Suzie Sunshine, but it is possible for the vision system to improve.

And since I'm one of the clueless few who picked up my MY right before they gave out free supercharger miles, I can't watch my favorite Youtube folks right now because they're crowing about all the freebies. Insert your favorite expletive.

Now to go enjoy my car! Love the car, not so much Tesla Inc.
lol, me too...been dodging any discussion about the freebies. I picked mine up on Nov 3 BUT due to paint issues and a bunch of mishaps I drove the car back on the 9th. Tesla service center had my car until Dec time frame. So technically I got the actual delivery in Dec as they had the car for 3-4 weeks, lmao.

I trust you got your purchase discount for the missing functionality that ALL Teslas with USS have correct? Or did you just pay more while getting less?
I got mine in November... Paid more, no free supercharging, no $3,750 off and no USS (or HD Radar)... In Elon I Trust....
I really do love my M3P and would be very hard pressed to go back to another car.

Reactions: Bricktopshog