Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model X Plaid vs. Long Range, that is the question...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm waiting on the sidelines for a Model X as Tesla keeps on dropping prices, even as of today, 4/7. ($5K drop for both Model X Plaid and Long Range)
If I'm going to get a 6 seater anyways, the price difference between LR and Plaid is $3,500.

Is it worth getting the Plaid? I'm curious if tires don't last as long in Plaid vs. LR (I would be going with 20" wheels).
I thought about getting the Plaid to get the 3rd motor, slightly better brakes, and carbon fiber trims but could live without it.

Any recommendations?

I don’t know many people that prefer the wood to carbon fiber. Actually I don’t know many people that like wood in ANY car. I hate the wood. Absolutely despise it. But to each their own…

For me the decision was simple. I wanted the 6 seat configuration and after you pay for that upgrade in the base model… you are only like 3-4k from the price of the plaid anyways. I don’t know anyone who would get the base model over the plaid unless they truly only wanted the 5 seater.
Look at a high end luxury car (i.e. high end Mercedes, Rolls Royce) and see how much carbon fiber you see. Wood has a warmth, looks and is expensive compared to synthetics and is luxurious. I certainly would not want my high end furniture to be anything but wood ;) Carbon fiber looks like plastic to me. But you're right to each their own :)

You're also correct that why would someone want to buy the LR when the Plaid is only $3500 more for 6 seat option. I personally think the pricing is absurd. Either the LR is priced too high or the Plaid too low. There used to be a $20k-$30k difference in the past but now it's only $3500! Now in the Model S the Plaid is $20k more which seems more of what you expect. Yes if you want 6 seat X Plaid is an awesome deal.

My biggest gripe and it's a deal breaker is the 6 seat is a waste of space for me. I rarely put people in the back, let alone the 3rd row! It's mostly 2 dogs and lots of "things", whether it's dog crates, bikes, things we buy at the store, etc. Bench seat and fold flat seats is a big must and that is precisely why I bought the LR.

Tesla is going to need to get their act together soon. More options, better customization. My ultimate would be X Plaid, 7 seat, wood, 22" all-season....I got these options with the LR but they need to have it in the Plaid. Plus fix those quality and alignment issues! Oh and the customer service is horrible too. And CarPlay! Can't wait till the competition catches up and pushes them to fix their crap. Elon is stretched too thin worrying about AI in a human brain, going to Mars, Twitter, and making an iPhone beating Tesla phone. He's doing a lot but everything is half assed with Tesla. Sorry!

Oh and not to contradict myself but I got the 7 seat because they add additional AC for the rear (to keep the rear cooler for our dogs), also the bench seat can also slide forward and back which is handy and if someone is visiting us and we have 7 people, we can take one car for a short trip around town. I figure the 7 seat resale is a bit better too. Other than that the 5 seat is also good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don’t know many people that prefer the wood to carbon fiber. Actually I don’t know many people that like wood in ANY car. I hate the wood. Absolutely despise it. But to each their own…

For me the decision was simple. I wanted the 6 seat configuration and after you pay for that upgrade in the base model… you are only like 3-4k from the price of the plaid anyways. I don’t know anyone who would get the base model over the plaid unless they truly only wanted the 5 seater.
Yup... exactly this. Im quite happy the plaid was just $3500 more. We wanted the 6 seats for out use case, which made the plaid an easy decision for trim finishes inside and arguably the best dollar-for-HP deal ever. Ive probably paid $3500 for a titanium exhaust to add minimal HP before...

Managed to get the 5k end of quarter discount, on top of the already decreased pricing relative to early January, with 3.9%, with 3 years of supercharging.

Delivery was smooth (last week), car is a may build, has HW4 (no matrix)... just waiting on my first fsd beta to get pushed.

Upvote 0
Man I am VERY surprised so many of you prefer the wood. It makes me feel like I'm in an actual minivan. I absolutely DESPISE the wood look. EWWWW. Carbon fiber looks so much more sleek and prestige to me. Its difficult to make. I never had anyone pull over next to me and ask "Dude is that walnut?" lol. Not to mention, I don't think it goes with ANYTHING. Whether you have the black, the white, or the cream interior.

But opinions are like a*******, everyone has one :p Just an opinion.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Upvote 0
Man I am VERY surprised so many of you prefer the wood. It makes me feel like I'm in an actual minivan. I absolutely DESPISE the wood look. EWWWW. Carbon fiber looks so much more sleek and prestige to me. Its difficult to make. I never had anyone pull over next to me and ask "Dude is that walnut?" lol. Not to mention, I don't think it goes with ANYTHING. Whether you have the black, the white, or the cream interior.

Well they do have different wood for the different interior colors and it goes well.

If one doesn’t know what CF is, it looks like a gray piece of plastic.

But hey the good thing is you got what you like. I got what I like. This big problem here is Tesla is not offering options they should be.

Reactions: henderrj
Upvote 0

But no one will pull over and see the gray CF and say wow so sweet. CF has always been a performance thing. I’ve never liked the look except in true sports cars where they are trying to reduce weight.

Speaking of minivans isn’t the 6 seater inspired by minivans….except in minivans they actually fold flat 😜

I am more surprised that everyone loves the 6 seater. I don’t get it. Is everyone putting kids in the 3rd row? I would never ever use the 3rd row. It is permanently folded down. That leaves me with a large vehicle as a 4 seater, one that doesn’t offer utility to carry my 2 dogs nor my bikes nor many of the other things we carry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But no one will pull over and see the gray CF and say wow so sweet. CF has always been a performance thing. I’ve never liked the look except in true sports cars where they are trying to reduce weight.
Plus the CF Tesla uses looks cheap compared to other manufacturers. It looks like plastic.

I was at a Tesla meet and random people interested in EVs were looking at our cars and I had 3 people ask if I got the upgraded interior compared to the Plaid.

Upvote 0
I was dead-set on a LR with 20 inch wheels and 7 seats. Not sure what happened after that but I brought home a heavily discounted 2023 MXP with 22 inch wheels white ext/black interior. Best decision ever!
What is your range on plaid X with 22” wheels compared to 20’s. I’m about range these days, 22 I feel are overkill since this car will never ever see the track. Have they upgraded the brakes yet?

Upvote 0
What is your range on plaid X with 22” wheels compared to 20’s. I’m about range these days, 22 I feel are overkill since this car will never ever see the track. Have they upgraded the brakes yet?
Many get the 22s for looks as well! Imagine all those Jeeps and Broncos you see out there with the huge wheels. Not one of them goes off-roading ;)

After owning the X I don't think range is an issue. Having a range of 20, 30, or even 50 more miles doesn't really make a difference for me. 95% of the time the driving is local and no one is coming even close to 200+ miles in one day.

On trips you pull over to supercharge - there are plenty of them now. The extra 20/30 miles doesn't really matter. That's just my opinion....

Reactions: Joe-FV
Upvote 0
Many get the 22s for looks as well! Imagine all those Jeeps and Broncos you see out there with the huge wheels. Not one of them goes off-roading ;)

After owning the X I don't think range is an issue. Having a range of 20, 30, or even 50 more miles doesn't really make a difference for me. 95% of the time the driving is local and no one is coming even close to 200+ miles in one day.

On trips you pull over to supercharge - there are plenty of them now. The extra 20/30 miles doesn't really matter. That's just my opinion....
I take road trips college tours.. range is everything. I don’t plan to go more crazy speed limits. 20 inch wheels for me for range. You can always buy a set, folks are always selling their news one with tires and all for cheap anyway. Bigger tires opens up the 199 mph speed but I doubt you will ver go that fast as is.. bigger look nice but $5500 option, no thanks rather get a forged set instead.

Reactions: MacO512
Upvote 0