Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model X Plaid vs. Long Range, that is the question...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm waiting on the sidelines for a Model X as Tesla keeps on dropping prices, even as of today, 4/7. ($5K drop for both Model X Plaid and Long Range)
If I'm going to get a 6 seater anyways, the price difference between LR and Plaid is $3,500.

Is it worth getting the Plaid? I'm curious if tires don't last as long in Plaid vs. LR (I would be going with 20" wheels).
I thought about getting the Plaid to get the 3rd motor, slightly better brakes, and carbon fiber trims but could live without it.

Any recommendations?

For me, the Plaid decision was easy. We wanted a 6 seater and for $3.5k more, we think resale will be better plus we like the carbon fiber interior much more than the wood. Plus better brakes (slightly) and the extra motor for only slightly less range.

If you drive the Plaid the same as you would drive the LR, the 20" tires should last just as long. With that being said, it might be difficult not to accelerate a little harder once in a while :)

Upvote 0
When we got our LR 2022 X, the price difference between the LR and Plaid was $20k IIRC. I believe there's still a $20k difference between the LR and Plaid Model S.

We opted to buy and install the carbon fiber trim ourselves and that alone cost us over $1500. If the price difference is really only $3500, then I'd say go for it! Seems too good to be true!

Reactions: preilly44
Upvote 0
When we got our LR 2022 X, the price difference between the LR and Plaid was $20k IIRC. I believe there's still a $20k difference between the LR and Plaid Model S.

We opted to buy and install the carbon fiber trim ourselves and that alone cost us over $1500. If the price difference is really only $3500, then I'd say go for it! Seems too good to be true!

Since the price gap is now $10k, is that still too much to go for it?

I also think these 22" turbines look so cool... would rather have those than Plaid. But I really want the red brake calipers.

Upvote 0

I also think these 22" turbines look so cool... would rather have those than Plaid. But I really want the red brake calipers.
The price gap is $3,500 if you were planning on getting the 6 seat LR Config (the 6 seat LR option is $6,500). If you were not planning on getting the 6 seat config, it's a $10k difference...

Upvote 0

Did Tesla let you order carbon fiber trim for your LR? One person that had a LR S couldn’t order it (reserved for Plaid). I recently replaced the wood with CF on my 2021 S Plaid

Upvote 0

You could always buy the wheels separately and get covers for the brake calipers but then you might end up spending
Did Tesla let you order carbon fiber trim for your LR? One person that had a LR S couldn’t order it (reserved for Plaid). I recently replaced the wood with CF on my 2021 S Plaid
We put OEM carbon fiber in both out 2022 Model S and out 2022 Model X. For the S, we actually swapped the trim from a Plaid S. We had no problems ordering the trim for the X.

Upvote 0
I'm waiting on the sidelines for a Model X as Tesla keeps on dropping prices, even as of today, 4/7. ($5K drop for both Model X Plaid and Long Range)
If I'm going to get a 6 seater anyways, the price difference between LR and Plaid is $3,500.

Is it worth getting the Plaid? I'm curious if tires don't last as long in Plaid vs. LR (I would be going with 20" wheels).
I thought about getting the Plaid to get the 3rd motor, slightly better brakes, and carbon fiber trims but could live without it.

Any recommendations?
For me, it’s how often (never) do I care about going really fast a second or two faster? Are the dollars worth it for momentary thrills, if that thrills you. You you need carbon fiber dashboard?

Upvote 0
Funny my wife and I prefer the wood trim. I've never been a fan of the CF look, not in a luxury car anyways.

The LR 22" does come with all-season, the Plaid 22" comes with summer only tires.

I agree, if you want the 6 seater, go for Plaid. Unfortunately the 6 seater is too much of a compromise for us. Can't fold the seats flat for larger objects. Also we have two dogs that get seatbelts and need a bench seat. For long trips we have 2 dog crates and definitely need full fold flat.

We needed the versatility. We dont ever put passengers in the middle row, let alone the back row which is kinda useless!

Upvote 0
It was a no brainer for us at 3.5k more you get super car beating acceleration!
LR is not bad either, as fast as a Lamborghini Urus. It's really spectacular above 50mph and 1/4 mile times are like 11.4@125mph! They limited the initial launch - I think the X LR is capable of 0-60 in 3.0-3.2 sec and 1/4 mile in high 10s@130mph if they didnt purposely nerf the launch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Funny my wife and I prefer the wood trim. I've never been a fan of the CF look, not in a luxury car anyways.

The LR 22" does come with all-season, the Plaid 22" comes with summer only tires.

I agree, if you want the 6 seater, go for Plaid. Unfortunately the 6 seater is too much of a compromise for us. Can't fold the seats flat for larger objects. Also we have two dogs that get seatbelts and need a bench seat. For long trips we have 2 dog crates and definitely need full fold flat.

We needed the versatility. We dont ever put passengers in the middle row, let alone the back row which is kinda useless!
Same here- in a heartbeat would go for the plaid if it had 7 seats but the loss of versatility(camping, fold flat, luggage, bench seat- name it)for an occasional zoom just did not cut it.
And the walnut wood grain is just gorgeous with our steel and white interior - loved CF back in the day especially with the Bavaria machines but older now, nothing says minimalistic finesse for me like the wood and steel on white(my pov)- daughter still votes CF though😉.

Upvote 0
Same here- in a heartbeat would go for the plaid if it had 7 seats but the loss of versatility(camping, fold flat, luggage, bench seat- name it)for an occasional zoom just did not cut it.
And the walnut wood grain is just gorgeous with our steel and white interior - loved CF back in the day especially with the Bavaria machines but older now, nothing says minimalistic finesse for me like the wood and steel on white(my pov)- daughter still votes CF though😉.
CF looks cheap to me. In a car truly looking to save weight I totally get CF and support it in those applications. Agree the wood looks more upscale.

Reactions: lsds
Upvote 0
CF looks cheap to me. In a car truly looking to save weight I totally get CF and support it in those applications. Agree the wood looks more upscale.
Thank you !! True CF I have done myself in the past - covers, fenders and totally made sense back then for the weight to strength ratio. Here looks to 90’s and wannabe if it is skinned that too on an electric.
Btw- applied mineral oil on the walnut interior with an immediate rub off buff as the europe summer sun was drying it out. Color looks the same after a day of setting but the drying has stopped.

Reactions: Kan-O-Z
Upvote 0
Thank you !! True CF I have done myself in the past - covers, fenders and totally made sense back then for the weight to strength ratio. Here looks to 90’s and wannabe if it is skinned that too on an electric.
Btw- applied mineral oil on the walnut interior with an immediate rub off buff as the europe summer sun was drying it out. Color looks the same after a day of setting but the drying has stopped.
It’s funny when we were considering buying the Plaid I was already looking to see how much it would cost to get the wood trim and have it installed. 🤣

Funny how people with wood trim went the opposite way. Grass is always greener I suppose….

I was pricing out wood trim and all season tires for a Plaid. I can’t have a crossover that can’t drive in cold, wet, light snow conditions. That’s another unacceptable to me. Eventually the 6 seater lack of fold down seats ended the Plaid for me. On the plus side the LR came with wood, all season (22”), and 5/7 seater and was $20k cheaper.

It’s too bad. Tesla could have made more money if they offered Plaid in 5/7 seater. Maybe one of Elons bright ideas to eliminate that.

Anyways competition is catching up. Tesla will have to address customizable options, and panels that are well aligned or else they will start to lose out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don’t know many people that prefer the wood to carbon fiber. Actually I don’t know many people that like wood in ANY car. I hate the wood. Absolutely despise it. But to each their own…

For me the decision was simple. I wanted the 6 seat configuration and after you pay for that upgrade in the base model… you are only like 3-4k from the price of the plaid anyways. I don’t know anyone who would get the base model over the plaid unless they truly only wanted the 5 seater.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Upvote 0