Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model X Plaid vs. Long Range, that is the question...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm waiting on the sidelines for a Model X as Tesla keeps on dropping prices, even as of today, 4/7. ($5K drop for both Model X Plaid and Long Range)
If I'm going to get a 6 seater anyways, the price difference between LR and Plaid is $3,500.

Is it worth getting the Plaid? I'm curious if tires don't last as long in Plaid vs. LR (I would be going with 20" wheels).
I thought about getting the Plaid to get the 3rd motor, slightly better brakes, and carbon fiber trims but could live without it.

Any recommendations?

Agreed. I had the same dilemma and the decision was easy if you want 6 seats.
Yeah at this point the LR advantage is fold flat seats of the 5/7 seater….decent feature if you ask me. The price difference at this point between the two is almost negligible, unless you can qualify for the federal tax credit which makes the LR 5 seater a decent cost savings. Not sure why most don’t care lack of fold flat in the 6 seater? Also note that with the 3rd row up the trunk space is smaller than that of a typical sedan. 3rd row is always folded down for me which makes a 6 seater a 4 seater with no armrests. My previous Lexus suv I can’t tell you how many times I also folded 2nd row seats flat.

I like the wood trim a lot better than plasticky looking CF trim. Brakes are the same between the two back when I bought it. I heard they may have upgraded the pads on the plaid but it’s not really a brake upgrade.

If you have to have the 6 seater and you don’t qualify for federal tax credit then plaid makes sense

Reactions: TespaceX
Upvote 0
Yeah at this point the LR advantage is fold flat seats of the 5/7 seater….decent feature if you ask me. The price difference at this point between the two is almost negligible, unless you can qualify for the federal tax credit which makes the LR 5 seater a decent cost savings. Not sure why most don’t care lack of fold flat in the 6 seater? Also note that with the 3rd row up the trunk space is smaller than that of a typical sedan. 3rd row is always folded down for me which makes a 6 seater a 4 seater with no armrests. My previous Lexus suv I can’t tell you how many times I also folded 2nd row seats flat.

I like the wood trim a lot better than plasticky looking CF trim. Brakes are the same between the two back when I bought it. I heard they may have upgraded the pads on the plaid but it’s not really a brake upgrade.

If you have to have the 6 seater and you don’t qualify for federal tax credit then plaid makes sense
There’s a Frunk and also a second trunk underneath in the back, so plenty of space. Also, most of the time, my family will only need the 4 chairs, so back row will be down except for when we need it with family visiting and kids friends in the car. 6 just feels better, everyone gets their own seat, feels more high end.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Upvote 0
There’s a Frunk and also a second trunk underneath in the back, so plenty of space. Also, most of the time, my family will only need the 4 chairs, so back row will be down except for when we need it with family visiting and kids friends in the car. 6 just feels better, everyone gets their own seat, feels more high end.
Wish it had arm rests though

Upvote 0

Yeah I debated this also, but ultimately chose Plaid. For my needs I wanted more than 5 seats so it came down to 7 LR vs 6 P. I wish the second row could go flat for more storage, I also have a feeling things I put in the back will go flying between the seats since there’s nothing to stop them, but maybe some sort of cargo storage containers might help.

Ultimately the pros outweighed the cons:

- higher resale value
- easy in and out to the back seats for kids
- 3rd row has clear view and doesn’t feel claustrophobic like in the 7 seater — this is huge when we tried sitting in both. I have a BMW X5 and the 3rd row is very claustrophobic and the kids hate sitting there.
- 3rd row has more leg room for adults if needed by putting legs in the middle
- it’s a frickin Plaid!!

Upvote 0
For the 6 seat configuration rear cargo divider when folding down the 3rd row seats. As long as you're willing to order from EU and pay for the shipping (not sure how much shipping cost is yet). I'm considering getting this also if Tesla ever delivers my MXP. I like how it can be stowed away in the under storage bin so that it can be kept in the car.

They also have 1 with a passthrough, but it seems less useful to me because if you need the passthrough, then you probably would just not use this divider in the first place.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Would love some opinions here, we ordered the Long Range with 22” wheels (I’m a big fan of the 22s) in a 6 seat configuration. Like many others I’m agonizing over getting the Plaid for $3500 more. I’d have to put all seasons on it right when I get it since I’m in Northern VA so it’s really like a $5500 difference for me which still isn’t bad. But I’m curious about real world range differences between the Long Range and Plaid. Anyone have any good insight there?

Upvote 0
Would love some opinions here, we ordered the Long Range with 22” wheels (I’m a big fan of the 22s) in a 6 seat configuration. Like many others I’m agonizing over getting the Plaid for $3500 more. I’d have to put all seasons on it right when I get it since I’m in Northern VA so it’s really like a $5500 difference for me which still isn’t bad. But I’m curious about real world range differences between the Long Range and Plaid. Anyone have any good insight there?

Don't overpay for tyres. Optimize for grip and economy and you can find good deals at less than a hundred bucks per wheel. Also don't buy a separate wheel set for winter/summer, get them swapped for less than $50 onto same wheels.

Upvote 0
Don't overpay for tyres. Optimize for grip and economy and you can find good deals at less than a hundred bucks per wheel. Also don't buy a separate wheel set for winter/summer, get them swapped for less than $50 onto same wheels.
I like to know where you can find tires for less than $100 for 22". And swapping for $50 (total or per wheel?). That's a banging value option.

-ThinkMac-

Upvote 0
Would it be a $5,500 difference if you have to change to all season in either scenario? Seems to me like it’s still $3,500 difference between the 2.

But just going by the numbers that Tesla provides, Plaid + 22” is a significant range hit, IMO

No. The 22” wheels on the Long Range come with All Seasons. But I’m not bent on the price, I’m just wonder if the Plaid is worth the range hit. Curious about the real world range impacts.

Upvote 0
No. The 22” wheels on the Long Range come with All Seasons. But I’m not bent on the price, I’m just wonder if the Plaid is worth the range hit. Curious about the real world range impacts.
Interesting. Didn't know that Tesla would wrap them in different spec tires between the 22" MXLR vs 22" MXP. Would have thought Tesla would have wrapped them the same to keep production simple. Learned something new.

Reactions: DefenderX
Upvote 0
I like to know where you can find tires for less than $100 for 22". And swapping for $50 (total or per wheel?). That's a banging value option.

-ThinkMac-

My bad, ofcourse size makes a difference, I'm used to M3LR wheels.

KUNIMOTO F28, Fullway HS266 , etc. are a $110.

For mounting services I found this one: Q: Looking for cheap for tire mounting shop in the Bay Area (Mtn View) (Page 1) — Bench Racing — The 24 Hours of Lemons Forums

Where I live all tire shops list prices online and competition is good and price in my location is for the whole set not per wheel.

Upvote 0
Definitely doesn’t feel high end.

No arm rests. No center console. No door/seat back pockets. No lie back seats. No fot rests. These are all things you can get even in cheaper ICE SUVs. And, narrow captain chairs in the X.

Maybe we have different definitions of high end.

Upvote 0
Definitely doesn’t feel high end.

No arm rests. No center console. No door/seat back pockets. No lie back seats. No fot rests. These are all things you can get even in cheaper ICE SUVs. And, narrow captain chairs in the X.

Maybe we have different definitions of high end.
The 6 seater is definitely the best fit for my needs, but I agree with some of this in that it could have been so much better. Some arm rests and the ability to recline couldn’t have possibly added that much cost and are basic things in pretty much any car. Also the ability to lay flat for more storage when needed. And rotating seats would have been killer. Anything beyond that to me is gravy (foot rests, massagers, laser beams, you get the point)…

Reactions: Joey_82
Upvote 0
The 6 seater is definitely the best fit for my needs, but I agree with some of this in that it could have been so much better. Some arm rests and the ability to recline couldn’t have possibly added that much cost and are basic things in pretty much any car. Also the ability to lay flat for more storage when needed. And rotating seats would have been killer. Anything beyond that to me is gravy (foot rests, massagers, laser beams, you get the point)…
Yea. Tesla has not redesigned the 6-seat setup, period, since the very first Model X.
It’s basically the same exact seats from the original, all-electric second row 7-seat Model X back in 2016, minus the middle seat.

Upvote 0