Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model X Plaid vs. Long Range, that is the question...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm waiting on the sidelines for a Model X as Tesla keeps on dropping prices, even as of today, 4/7. ($5K drop for both Model X Plaid and Long Range)
If I'm going to get a 6 seater anyways, the price difference between LR and Plaid is $3,500.

Is it worth getting the Plaid? I'm curious if tires don't last as long in Plaid vs. LR (I would be going with 20" wheels).
I thought about getting the Plaid to get the 3rd motor, slightly better brakes, and carbon fiber trims but could live without it.

Any recommendations?

I'm waiting on the sidelines for a Model X as Tesla keeps on dropping prices, even as of today, 4/7. ($5K drop for both Model X Plaid and Long Range)
If I'm going to get a 6 seater anyways, the price difference between LR and Plaid is $3,500.

Is it worth getting the Plaid? I'm curious if tires don't last as long in Plaid vs. LR (I would be going with 20" wheels).
I thought about getting the Plaid to get the 3rd motor, slightly better brakes, and carbon fiber trims but could live without it.

Any recommendations?
Both vehicles will eat tires, 22’s have limited sizes for higher cost for tires. 20’s are great for this vehicle for comfort & efficiency in my opinion. Plus $5,500 for 22’s is a joke. You can a nice forged set for a little above $6-7k or buy a used set for about less the $2k. If you area has potholes, craters, or uneven surfaces. You will it like 22’s. I prefer comfort/range ba sporty look, Good luck.

Upvote 0
Don’t know if you saw it the load was increased in price by $5k to deter people to that the regular x instead.
Yep and now I'm stuck. I really want 6 seater but the plaid is now $8500 more.

Just changed order from LR to plaid but contemplating changing it back. It bothers me that it was 5k less not too long ago. On the other hand, it bothers me to pay $6500 for seats.

Upvote 0
I definitely would prefer deep dark natural wooden finish from LR versions in black interior, than the carbon fiber in Plaid. For me the carbon fiber is something cheap bad taste plastics from every Chinese cheap brands, polished to attract fingerprints and dust of all kind.
The carbon fiber has a matte finish, your thinking when it was glossy piano black in the early stages for the X & S models. The Tesla wood trim is a joke compared to Lexus wood trim. But hey each to its own.

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger
Upvote 0
The carbon fiber has a matte finish, your thinking when it was glossy piano black in the early stages for the X & S models. The Tesla wood trim is a joke compared to Lexus wood trim. But hey each to its own.
The carbon fiber in the Plaid looks cheap compared to the wood, IMO. I said before that at an EV event multiple people asked if I had the upgraded version due to the wood vs Carbon Fiber. I do agree it's cheap wood compared to Mercedes and other companies, but all Tesla interiors are on the lower end.

• Informative
Reactions: TespaceX and Tiger
Upvote 0
When I bought my '18 M3, I considered whether I wanted performance or FSD. I opted for FSD, then later wished I had gone for the performance model, since FSD can be added any time.

When I bought my '22 Y, I went straight to the PY, and didn't look back. No regrets.

This time around, I was interested in the MX tax edition, but realized in a couple of years, after it was paid off, then I'd need the plaid version. I figured if I just bought it now, I could save maybe $20k by going straight for the plaid, vs the tax edition and the plaid later. Granted, plaid is quite expensive when you take the tax credit out, but I can get my yoke and non-black interior then too.

Upvote 0
When I bought my '18 M3, I considered whether I wanted performance or FSD. I opted for FSD, then later wished I had gone for the performance model, since FSD can be added any time.

When I bought my '22 Y, I went straight to the PY, and didn't look back. No regrets.

This time around, I was interested in the MX tax edition, but realized in a couple of years, after it was paid off, then I'd need the plaid version. I figured if I just bought it now, I could save maybe $20k by going straight for the plaid, vs the tax edition and the plaid later. Granted, plaid is quite expensive when you take the tax credit out, but I can get my yoke and non-black interior then too.
You can get the regular X and then just upgrade the steering wheel after you buy it. Tesla sells the yoke. The 6 seater configuration is no good for versatility. No fold flat and that's another negative against the Plaid.

Reactions: TespaceX
Upvote 0
You can get the regular X and then just upgrade the steering wheel after you buy it. Tesla sells the yoke. The 6 seater configuration is no good for versatility. No fold flat and that's another negative against the Plaid.
Agree that the 6-seat is really not good for versatility.

But, I also feel that the 2nd row bench seat design is just atrociously cheap for a $80-$100K vehicle of any type.

Upvote 0
9k... Not worth it imho
Of course no one "needs" a Plaid. The LR has more then enough power. Having said that, bragging rights are worth something? I agree that the 6 seater is not as practical - for hauling. But for transportation of 4 people it is the nicest most elegant solution. So that has to come down to priority and anticipated greatest use. We moved up from a 2020 LR. My wife wanted the 6 seater. At that point the Plaid seemed like a no brainer to me. YMMV.

Reactions: RyanC1384 and 0Q991
Upvote 0