Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y Long Range Disappointment in boominess after Demo Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be fair to OP, folks sensitivity to low frequency varies quite a bit. I barely notice it in the Y. My son, an ER doc, gets naseous in the thing. Obviously these are the extremes, and that's why I mention it. For that matter tire choice and air pressure can affect it too.

OP:
Honestly, this is a known issue in many EV hatchbacks, and is relatively well known and documented. Bjorn even mentions dropping blankets in the trunk well helps on his 1000KM video test. Lots of fix directions, I don't believe anybody considers it more than a mild "tune-up" to fix. Speaking only for myself I can say I was confident enough this was easily fixed that I bought the car without hesitation on this matter.

I get it OP.

I only test-drove a friend's Model Y before buying and never listened for anything as I was too distracted. That being said, his did have this problem too before I fixed it for him (although he could not really notice the noise very well, which leads me to think most people who say it's fine can't hear that low frequency). I have driven maybe 6 Model Ys and they all have varying degrees of low resonance noise.

The Mach-E, Audi E-Tron and Volvos also suffer from this problem to varying degrees and for various reasons. Part of it has to do with the intrinsic weight of electric vehicles and perhaps some of the structural rigidity caused by the battery pack along the base of the vehicle. The Korean EVs seem to not have this issue though. I'm not aware if the ID.4 has this issue.
I have Ioniq 5 and the cabin is very quiet and no boominess.

Reactions: ultramantaro
I only test-drove a friend's Model Y before buying and never listened for anything as I was too distracted. That being said, his did have this problem too before I fixed it for him (although he could not really notice the noise very well, which leads me to think most people who say it's fine can't hear that low frequency). I have driven maybe 6 Model Ys and they all have varying degrees of low resonance noise.

This makes a lot of sense, and is the likely answer to this (that some people are more sensitive to the audio frequency that this "boominess" is on, than others). Sort of like how some people can hear when an old school TV is on but no picture (the mosquito like noise) and some cant.

I can hear the mosquito noise, but I dont hear any boominess... but I bet if @ilovecoffee drove my wifes model Y, they could probably hear at least some of it, and if they fixed it for me, it would probably sound quieter to me and I wouldnt know why.

This makes a lot of sense, and is the likely answer to this (that some people are more sensitive to the audio frequency that this "boominess" is on, than others). Sort of like how some people can hear when an old school TV is on but no picture (the mosquito like noise) and some cant.

I can hear the mosquito noise, but I dont hear any boominess... but I bet if @ilovecoffee drove my wifes model Y, they could probably hear at least some of it, and if they fixed it for me, it would probably sound quieter to me and I wouldnt know why.
Yeah, this reminds me. I was out of state driving my mom somewhere in my MYLR and I was bitching about the BOOM BOOM every time the tires went over the huge concrete seams in the road. She said "if you hadn't mentioned that, I never would have noticed it!" Oops!

I have Ioniq 5 and the cabin is very quiet and no boominess.
Is your Ioniq AWD or RWD? I did a test drive in the RWD and was unimpressed with the performance after coming out of the Y.

All around ride and drive quality was great, though. It's definitely a quieter car than the Y. I'm really not that concerned with a having a really "quiet" car, though. It's just that specific low frequency noise really bothers me for some reason.

Some were asking why I bothered to write this post giving the Y a glowing review only to give it a thumbs down. I mostly just needed to vent my frustrations and disappointment after the demo drive. *sigh*

Is your Ioniq AWD or RWD? I did a test drive in the RWD and was unimpressed with the performance after coming out of the Y.

All around ride and drive quality was great, though. It's definitely a quieter car than the Y. I'm really not that concerned with a having a really "quiet" car, though. It's just that specific low frequency noise really bothers me for some reason.

Some were asking why I bothered to write this post giving the Y a glowing review only to give it a thumbs down. I mostly just needed to vent my frustrations and disappointment after the demo drive. *sigh*
I one of those people that aren’t attached to any one brand in particular. If I’m spending decent coin on something, it needs to fill certain requirements and I think it’s ok to share your honest opinion about any such vehicle. You may find it this or they and someone else my like or not notice those dislike, etc. One shoe doesn’t not fit the same for everyone. Tesla is not the perfect car and I have yet to find that “perfect car”. They all have pros/cons.

Reactions: Engi_Nerd
I had buffeting in my S. It really showed up on highways with cement joints every 20 yards or so. Basically the trunk was mis-seated. I'd hit a joint and the trunk would close down a small amount and then open back up, creating a pressure difference. It was REALLY annoying but after I demonstrated it, Tesla fixed it.

For wind noise, it's really important to diagnose the problem and show how to repeat before taking it in.

Reactions: enemji
I'm a long-term hybrid driver and I've been itching to make the leap to an all-electric. Based on many glowing reviews from friends who own Teslas, as well as a brief drive of a family member's Model Y, I was ready to pull the trigger and buy a Model Y Long Range after the price drop earlier this year. I ended up holding off, though, to give my wife a chance to try it out with a demo drive before buying, and I ended up being glad we waited and did the demo.

After my two LR demo drives, I was surprised by several things, both good and bad, but ultimately decided now is the not the time to buy a Y. Here's my thoughts:

tl;dr I liked almost everything, but the low-frequency rumbling resonance sounds drove me crazy. Until this is fixed, there's zero chance I'm buying a Y.

Performance
Even after previously driving a Y, I was still surprised at just how much torque is available IMMEDIATELY at any speed. My foot is still calibrated to an underpowered hybrid, so this is something I haven't had in a daily driver in a long time. That feeling of instantly pinning yourself to the back of your seat is just flat out fun. and the Y is just a joy to drive in this regard. The quick responsiveness is something you can't get even in most high-end performance ICE vehicles, much less a "family car" like the Y.

Interior Finish
I was unsure how I'd feel about the interior finishes, especially after reading a few reviews from more traditional auto review sources. It's definitely minimalistic, but it's not without any styling though. There's enough detail to make it feel like some attention was paid to aesthetics, so you're not just riding in bland a box, but it's not trying to feel like driving in a high-end luxury car. For me, that's a good thing. Door panels felt solidly attached and didn't flex, there weren't any creaks or big gaps, and the quality of the surfaces felt like I expected: comparable to a middle-tier vehicle. It's not "cheap" feeling like I've seen may describe, but it's definitely not high-end either. Overall, I ended up really liking the Y's interior.

UX
This was my biggest concern going into the demo drive. I like mechanical buttons and generally don't like interacting with a touch screen in cars. To my pleasant surprise, however, it turned out my fears were completely unfounded. The things I absolutely want mechanical buttons for are still easily accessible on the steering wheel: audio volume, skipping songs / tuning the radio, and cruise control. Navigating the menus to get to the steering wheel and mirror adjustments was a little bit tricky, but no more so than with any other car I'm unfamiliar with. Temperature control, even being on the touch screen, is far easier to find and use than on most traditional cars -- I think part of the ease is due to the enormous size of the touch screen. Almost everything else, even if it's buried in a menu on the screen, is also available via voice control, making it extremely easy to operate without taking your eyes off the road. The "ding" sound when a traffic light turns green -- this feature alone almost had me ready to throw money at Tesla. The Y's UX, despite being different from what I'm used to, was a breeze to use and honestly quite refreshing.

Infotainment
All I'll say, is Tesla absolutely blows away every other manufacturer's infotainment. The screen is huge and responsive, there are tons of apps, the maps and nav are great. The only thing missing is Android Auto and CarPlay, but Tesla's software is actually good enough I don't think I'd miss it.

Ride Quality
This is where things took a turn for the worse, but not in the ways that I expected. I knew I wouldn't feel like I was riding on a cloud, and some amount of road noise wasn't going to surprise me. I drove on some moderately rough patches of road and it was just "fine." The suspension is certainly stiffer than you'll get on most other cars on the road, and you'll feel more bumps and potholes. It feels more like a sports car suspension, but the car really handles more like a sports car, so it's not all that surprising and it really didn't turn me off at all. There was some amount of noise from outside the car that was quite apparent for the drive. While it wasn't unbearable, it certainly wasn't good. What finally broke the deal for me, though, was the strange low-frequency resonance that many on this forum seem to refer to as "booming" / "buffeting." The sound wasn't always present, but when it was, oh man it sucked. It feels like having a high-power subwoofer blasting out a barely-audible frequency that just rumbles in your ears and chest. The sound was most prevalent at low cruising speeds around 30-40mph, even on pretty smooth roads. This issue was actually the main reason for my second demo drive. I thought maybe it was a fluke, but the second demo car turned out to be EVEN WORSE than the first.

Disappointing Summary
Overall, I ended up just being really disappointed in the whole thing. I went from not just ready to buy a Y, but excited to buy a Y based on a previous drive, all the way to realizing there's no way I can justify buying a car that sounds like this. And my change of heart came not from any of the typical complaints about Teslas or EVs, but from a basic inability to meet a "can I even tolerate being in this car for more than 20 minutes with my eyes closed" requirement. There's so much to love about the Y, but there's no amount of cool features that can override fundamental riding discomfort. The fact that two demo Ys had this issue should highlight just how prevalent this issue is, and I really can't believe they're selling as many Ys as they are with demos like this.

If I don't end up buying something else soon (I'll be going to check out an EV6 later this week), then I may have another look at the Y in a year or so and see if things have improved at all.

My overall opinion: :sad_face:
I can always appreciate a thorough and honest review. When I picked up my MYLR I noticed this noise as well when pulling out of the dealership and the sound was actually pretty irritating even though I could not pinpoint what it was. Luckily as I drove, either it stopped or I was so thrilled with the ride that I got over it. Anyway, hopefully they are working on a fix for it. They seem to take their complaints as constructive criticism rather than just whiny drivers who can’t be pleased 😃

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
Just for fun, I called both of those dealers. They don’t have a single one available for test drive as I acted to be a customer wanting to look at one today. Also, the ones in transit are pre-sold. No discounts either.

And the websites both clearly state that the cars are in transit.

We found 2 in stock at a local dealer before buying ours.

There are a few available - you just have to be creative/flexible in searching.