Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y no USS discussion, incl. Discussion of Tesla Vision Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That may be or may not be true! The article mentions that the VIN was checked and it matches a model year 2023, which "shouldn't" have USS. But any guess is as good - and of course only a video would help solving the mystery. We can just wait... I'm personally not too bothered (my other half disagrees), but of course I look forward to see what Tesla will do about it.
In the US the 2023 model started shipping in Oct and has USS for a few weeks, not sure if it was the same in Europe but if so then this would make 2023 and USS possible

• Helpful
Reactions: FlyF4
Maybe a silly question - has anybody checked if the wiring under the cover in frunk still has plugs for parking sensors in MY 2023? Youtube has plenty of guides how to do that (link).

Ebay has plenty of sensors for about $15-25 a piece when I search for "tesla model y parking sensor" (link).

It could be a relatively inexpensive job to add parking sensors if wiring still allows the parking sensors.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Ok, I think I got the answer to my own question in Tesla Parts Catalog - wiring harnesses are different for MY with or without USS.
Part numbers are:
- 1489045-05-D - without USS
- 1489045-00-D - with USS

Retrofit of the sensors might still be possible with more work to replace the harness.

Screen Shot 02-12-23 at 11.19 AM.PNG

Reactions: mylapore
Good on you for digging more into this. When I asked a Tesla mobile service technician he mentioned this is going to be a heavy lift. Change in harnesses, USS sensors, cutting or replacement of bumpers, changes to software/firmware etc. Let's just say he didn't sound optimistic on the chances of doing a retrofit.

Reactions: alex_seattle09
Yeah, I tend to agree as per Munro Live analysis below. There seems to be additional controllers and all of this might make DIY retrofit impossible.
That basically leaves me with 2 options:
1) wait for my delivery in March 2023 and then install after-market (ugly looking) front and rear parking sensors
2) cancel my order and look at used 2021-22 MY with parking sensors

Some trade-offs analysis.

Option 1) Assuming that I can receive 7.5k EV tax credit (a big IF) the 2023 MY price will be $54.5 - $7.5k = $47K, sales tax in my area is 10% so tax is $5.45k. In the best case scenario I will get a new car for $52.95 (with tax) or worst case $59.95k (with tax). Set of 4 simple parking radars with a buzzer and no display is ~$30 (ebay link). A pair of them would cost $60 and a weekend project to install, holes are permanent but I don't see it as a problem. A mismatch of color might be very annoying.

Option 2) A used 2021 MY is about $50k, with sale tax it's $55k for 2-years old car. A bit of a gamble, old suspension type but you see what you get (panel misalignment, etc). In order to match $53k for new MY 2023 with EV tax credit I'd need to find MY 21 for $48k that might not be easy.

Decisions, decisions... ;-)

Reactions: bhzmark
Yeah, I tend to agree as per Munro Live analysis below. There seems to be additional controllers and all of this might make DIY retrofit impossible.
That basically leaves me with 2 options:
1) wait for my delivery in March 2023 and then install after-market (ugly looking) front and rear parking sensors
2) cancel my order and look at used 2021-22 MY with parking sensors

Some trade-offs analysis.

Option 1) Assuming that I can receive 7.5k EV tax credit (a big IF) the 2023 MY price will be $54.5 - $7.5k = $47K, sales tax in my area is 10% so tax is $5.45k. In the best case scenario I will get a new car for $52.95 (with tax) or worst case $59.95k (with tax). Set of 4 simple parking radars with a buzzer and no display is ~$30 (ebay link). A pair of them would cost $60 and a weekend project to install, holes are permanent but I don't see it as a problem. A mismatch of color might be very annoying.

Option 2) A used 2021 MY is about $50k, with sale tax it's $55k for 2-years old car. A bit of a gamble, old suspension type but you see what you get (panel misalignment, etc). In order to match $53k for new MY 2023 with EV tax credit I'd need to find MY 21 for $48k that might not be easy.

Decisions, decisions... ;-)

I went through the same dilemma (ordered September 2022, delivery December 2022).

Bit the bullet and took delivery, awaiting the Tesla Vision update. It's really not that bad and I'm sure before 2023 is over we'll get an update. Maybe even within a month if it is paired with FSD v11 (single stack+occupancy network).

I think you are pretty confused on this, as this statement is patently false. One more time. Radar is not the same thing as ultrasonic sensors. Tesla bringing back radar or not has zero to do with ultrasonic sensors. Radar has nothing to do with autopark and summon.
Hi, regarding park and summons, after receiving Tesla's notification that the vehicle would be delivered 23 Dec 22) with park, auto park, summons and special summons temporarily restricted, I contacted Tesla UK as I was looking at cancelling the order with the notice of removal of USS and was informed in writing "we can confirm the currently restricted features, namely Park Assist, Auto Park and Summons and Smart Summons, will be available again in the New Year and this this change only develops potential for development of autonomous features".
With that statement and other communication from Tesla UK I settled the account and took delivery of the model Y, so confused as to why these features are no longer listed on Autopilot.

Reactions: glovelace
Hi, regarding park and summons, after receiving Tesla's notification that the vehicle would be delivered 23 Dec 22) with park, auto park, summons and special summons temporarily restricted, I contacted Tesla UK as I was looking at cancelling the order with the notice of removal of USS and was informed in writing "we can confirm the currently restricted features, namely Park Assist, Auto Park and Summons and Smart Summons, will be available again in the New Year and this this change only develops potential for development of autonomous features".
With that statement and other communication from Tesla UK I settled the account and took delivery of the model Y, so confused as to why these features are no longer listed on Autopilot.
Weren’t they all Enhanced Autopilot features? (Using the past tense cos after removal of USS they certainly aren’t current or IMO without hardware being reintroduced ever likely to be in the future).

Class action lawsuit anyone?

Last edited:
Reactions: MKVTDI
Thanks. Why would they clearly advertise this functionality with no mention of it not being available or coming soon. What a scam. Tesla is becoming more and more of a joke every day.
Why wouldn’t they? People keep buying these cars like overpaying (have you checked the value for your car lately?) for these cars and snatching em up like hotcakes whilst continuously being bent over and taken for a ride. What incentive do they have to get their act together? Absolutely none! Until their pockets start getting hit they won’t care. They could not restore those festures until 2025 and could care less how it makes their customers feel and there’s nothing you can do about it. They’re not even the best ev on the market anymore…not even close. Not even remotely close. I don’t get the fascination. They got me once. Won’t happen again. Glad I sold mine while prices were still skyrocketed and made my money back + some.

Weren’t they all Enhanced Autopilot features? (Using the past tense cos after removal of USS they certainly aren’t current or IMO without hardware being reintroduced ever likely to be in the future).

Class action lawsuit anyone?
Their arbitration process makes that extremely difficult.

Reactions: MKVTDI
Their arbitration process makes that extremely difficult.
I wonder whether UK consumer law has more teeth. This has all the fundamentals of breach of the Sale of Goods Act in advertising features, deferring fulfilment (“coming soon”) and then not delivering in a reasonable timeframe. I also have in writing from Tesla that my car will require no hardware upgrades for these features to be delivered.

For those of you doubting that non-uss vehicles can do park distances, please remind yourself that your non-uss vehicle already warns you when you get close to objects in the highway (other vehicles, pedestrians, bicycles or bins) using cameras

The occupancy network creates a 3D map visualisation which is updated 100 times/second as you move (watch this to understand how that works). This means that even if the camera cannot see an object in front of you right now, it was mapped and tracked at some point in the past.
It is true that the very first time (T0) after a vehicle is produced, it won't be able to see some area around it, unless it starts moving. Once it does, then it starts mapping objects, achieving spatial awareness which is currently used for collision detection and avoidance. This can be easily used for parking sensors, but they are waiting for accuracy parity & v11.3, to have more confidence that park distances are accurate.

Given the current releases, it looks like we may have park distances back within 1-6 months from now

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Arrosto and jr_gn
For those of you doubting that non-uss vehicles can do park distances, please remind yourself that your non-uss vehicle already warns you when you get close to objects in the highway (other vehicles, pedestrians, bicycles or bins) using cameras

The occupancy network creates a 3D map visualisation which is updated 100 times/second as you move (watch this to understand how that works). This means that even if the camera cannot see an object in front of you right now, it was mapped and tracked at some point in the past.
It is true that the very first time (T0) after a vehicle is produced, it won't be able to see some area around it, unless it starts moving. Once it does, then it starts mapping objects, achieving spatial awareness which is currently used for collision detection and avoidance. This can be easily used for parking sensors, but they are waiting for accuracy parity & v11.3, to have more confidence that park distances are accurate.

Given the current releases, it looks like we may have park distances back within 1-6 months from now
this is an emotional issue for most people posting here.
it does not respond to logic, technology discussion, or rationales. no matter how valid.
holding of breath, stamping of feet.....acceptable.

this is an emotional issue for most people posting here.
it does not respond to logic, technology discussion, or rationales. no matter how valid.
holding of breath, stamping of feet.....acceptable.
Most are fine with how it will work. The problem is it was taken out before the replacement was ready and given people little choice but to bend down and take delivery.

accusing people of acting childish because of this is itself the childish thing.