Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y no USS discussion, incl. Discussion of Tesla Vision Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@dansev Please, please, please DO NOT buy a Tesla without the USS. I repeat, DO NOT BUT A TESLA WITH TESLA VISION.

I am in a BIG CONFLICT with them. Cheating me that I would have signed for USS removal which is not the case. Asking for where is the proof of this?

They gave me a Tesla Vision version of the Model Y and it IS NOT TO BE COMPARED with (good old) USS sensors. And it never will be. One of the reasons being that it has a blind spot right in front of the car. It can only extrapolate what *might* be in front OR it is over cautious, which comes down to the same as the legal statement "as a driver you are always responsible. Systems are only helping". Enough evidence of the Tesla Vision vs. USS debacle to be found via comparison searches on Youtube...

I sincerely regret having bought this car and even more Tesla's attitude denying responsibility that they have fooled their entire customer base ever since October 2022 (Europe region): Tesla Vision Update: Replacing Ultrasonic Sensors with Tesla Vision | Tesla Support Other Europe

I think it is great that new 3/Y come with 3 months of FSD for free. Will allow each owner to decide if they feel the FSD is worth purchasing to them. If not, they can automatically revert back to standard Autopilot at no charge. Will allow them to experience how TeslaVision works as well. Throughout the ownership period, they will receive software updates when available at no charge.

Yea im just paying for the performance model y without the 6k or 15k upgrade. It did say it came with 3 months free of FSD so i'm curious how they will handle that.

So far people are forced to start the 3 month FSD trial at day of delivery.
Most people were expecting to be able to try FSD Beta.
Many seem confused as to what FSD is compared to FSD Beta.
Therefore many are upset they can't try FSD Beta so far during their 3 month trial.
New MY cars in the US have HW4 computer and new cameras. So far FSD Beta being released to new owners doesn't support HW4. Therefore FSD Beta isn't active in these new cars during the 3 month FSD trial.

Technically FSD is EAP features plus the ability for the car to stop at red lights and stop signs when AP is engaged. FSD Beta is Beta and not a guarenteed part of FSD for now. Tesla refers to this as Navigate on City Streets..."Coming Soon" on the new car order page.

Some EAP parking and summon features are not available due to lack of USS.
So as of today you won't be able to try summon, smart summon, auto-park or FSD Beta during your 3 month trial.
However, you will be able to experience Navigate on AP where it can take on/off ramps, auto lane changes and stopping at stoplights/stop signs. All of which aren't a part of the regular "free" AP features.

I'd say there is a really good chance that there will be an FSD Beta version compatible to HW4 released to new cars before your 3 months is up. I don't have much confidence they will release Summon and AutoPark features during your 3 months. But those are gimmicks anyways.

There is FSDBeta versions out there that work on HW4 (11.4.X). However, they are being kept back from general release. Only employees, internal testers, influencers, early Beta access people have those versions. And a lot of them don't have HW4 cars anyways.

I think it is great that new 3/Y come with 3 months of FSD for free. Will allow each owner to decide if they feel the FSD is worth purchasing to them. If not, they can automatically revert back to standard Autopilot at no charge. Will allow them to experience how TeslaVision works as well. Throughout the ownership period, they will receive software updates when available at no charge.
The issue right now is that for MY you can't get access to FSD Beta because all new cars are HW4. So all you get to try out are EAP features (half of which are unavailable due to no USS) and stopping at stopsigns/lights (the only part of FSD that is available on general release HW4 so far).
On M3 you do get to try FSD Beta during the trial as M3 is still on HW3. Likely only with the upcoming Highland refresh will it have HW4.

So far people are forced to start the 3 month FSD trial at day of delivery.
Most people were expecting to be able to try FSD Beta.
Many seem confused as to what FSD is compared to FSD Beta.
Therefore many are upset they can't try FSD Beta so far during their 3 month trial.
New MY cars in the US have HW4 computer and new cameras. So far FSD Beta being released to new owners doesn't support HW4. Therefore FSD Beta isn't active in these new cars during the 3 month FSD trial.
I hang out on this forum too much and even I'm confused about what is/isn't supposed to work on my new MY, and whether I have FSD and what version of it.

Tesla's kind of made a mess of this whole USS/Vision/HW3/HW4/FSD beta stuff.

I hang out on this forum too much and even I'm confused about what is/isn't supposed to work on my new MY, and whether I have FSD and what version of it.

Tesla's kind of made a mess of this whole USS/Vision/HW3/HW4/FSD beta stuff.

It's a super confusing mess. I'm shocked that anyone would drop $15k on something that is so unclear (regardless of how poorly it works).

Vision is so worthless that we had to install a laser parking guide in our garage for our new MY that we picked up last month. Our 15 year old Toyota Sequoia has old school sensors that are 10x better. We did not need a laser guide in the same parking spot.

We had a 2021 Model X loaner for a few days while they were doing a bunch of warranty work. It was perfect with USS (the distance it calibrated off the back wall was nearly exact). That is my biggest complaint about the MY.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bdk1976
I just got my Model Y the other day and just drove it to get PPF and ceramic on it this morning. My result was similar to the photo above where it shows the car right on top of the obstruction, yet it is a foot or more away when you get out. I had done an FSD transfer from my older Model S. Both the older S and my wife's 2018 Model 3 do this really well. I guess this is going to be another thing that doesn't work right on Tesla vehicles sort of like the automatic wipers that frantically try to clear water spots when the sun hits the right angle... "we can rely on cameras for everything" - hah!

Reactions: bdk1976