Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 model y performance factory ppf

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean unless I am blind this looks like PPF my 911 with wrap looks exactly like this.. if this is not ppf then Tesla really got me confused as to why the bumper molding line is so distinctive... If you look at the photo around the head light it appears that there is a ppf being wrapped inside.. I would urge some others with model y to take some photos ... If it is ppf like I suspected, then I would say this is applied even before the bumper went on the car due to the complexity of wrapping inward into the bumper, both sides look exactly the same around the head light
Very hard to tell from the pictures. Open the trunk, There should be a very obvious seam line that doesn't match the rest if there was PPF installed. As others mentioned, it should also be possible to lift it a bit.

You can see an example of an install process here:

The first picture looks like the mold line for the plastic bumper. I took a screen shot from a random Model Y video and can see a similar line. I'm not by my car right now, but I recall there being something similar on my Model 3.
videoplayback.mp4_snapshot_00.07.666.png

Last edited:
OK let me try to peel off a little from the corner of the trunk .. here goes nothing lol.. if it is the mold line.. damn that's a huge line with very obvious manufacturing tolerance which at this point we all know Tesla isn't the best when it comes to quality and details... My 911 doesn't have this problem ..

what got me is after i ppf the Porsche it looks like my model Y as far as how a bumper would look with ppf.. LOL

And no this is not the "mold line" as it was discussed in other posts.. it's clearly wrapped behind the bumper

Tesla wouldn't have a rationale for bumper PPF. If these look different from previous bumpers, maybe they simply changed the mold, maybe the mold includes some additional layer melted into the bumper. I suspect you won't be able to peel this even if you tried.

Reactions: Pianewman
OK let me try to peel off a little from the corner of the trunk .. here goes nothing lol.. if it is the mold line.. damn that's a huge line with very obvious manufacturing tolerance which at this point we all know Tesla isn't the best when it comes to quality and details... My 911 doesn't have this problem ..

what got me is after i ppf the Porsche it looks like my model Y as far as how a bumper would look with ppf.. LOL
Don't try anything that might scratch the paint, assuming it was the mold line. Spraying some soapy water should help it lift if it was PPF, but don't be too rough or use a hard tool.

But really, it should be very obvious looking in the trunk if it was PPF even without trying to lift anything. There should be a seam line right there if you watch the video of the install.

I'm curious what is the rationale of having PPF anywhere? If you ever get a ding it is way cheaper to have paint fixed. The only place I have dings is inside wheel wells.
It's not dings, it's road rash and bumper scuffs. The PPF can generally self heal from those. Any time you repaint, color matching/blending is an issue and it's a potential hit on the resale value (repaint can be taken as a sign of an accident). PPF also makes the car generally easier to wash in my experience.

Reactions: zoomer0056
It's not dings, it's road rash and bumper scuffs. The PPF can generally self heal from those. Any time you repaint, color matching/blending is an issue and it's a potential hit on the resale value (repaint can be taken as a sign of an accident). PPF also makes the car generally easier to wash in my experience.

I'll simply ask the buyer at point of resell, how much extra do they want to pay for a paint job or will they buy it as it is ;)

Last edited:
Don't think so. I've had my car for 2 weeks now. Washed it a couple of times. Right now is the first I've noticed it was there, so I'm not removing it anytime soon!

Maybe it's a new laminate built into the bumper casting process, it would not make sense for it to be hand made. Though the bumpers are painted after casting, though. Wonder what is the industrial process here or what it is exactly.

it's not ppf.

i have a 2023 y and vinyl wrapped it myself. if the front and rear bumper came with ppf, i would've seen it and felt it. the only area that comes with ppf is the lower rear door to prevent rock chips.

Reactions: Kwame