Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 model y performance factory ppf

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you've felt real PPF, you'll know it. Gently press your fingernail into it and tap it, then compare it to paint -- it feels different. PPF is soft and it feels and sounds like plastic; painted metal feels and sounds like metal.
The problem is people are claiming it's applied on front and rear bumpers: both of those are plastic, not metal.

I forgot to look at my Model 3 today. I hopefully I will remember when I'm back to it on weekend to check the rear bumper pattern for that line.

If you've felt real PPF, you'll know it. Gently press your fingernail into it and tap it, then compare it to paint -- it feels different. PPF is soft and it feels and sounds like plastic; painted metal feels and sounds like metal.
As you see i already on pict. make a nailmark, just to be sure.
And actually I don't really care if people think it's PPF or not, it's not a competition about who can wrap the car the most. 😙

Attachments

• P3.PNG
    P3.PNG
    986.5 KB · Views: 107
Glad this discussion has opened up.

I contend that no manufacturer would be applying PPF w/o a significant increase in sales price.
Not to mention the insurance implications. You could expect an increase in premiums across the board for ‘23 Model Ys if they’re being fitted with factory PPF. That’s just an added cost to cover in the event of bumper replacement.

The problem is people are claiming it's applied on front and rear bumpers: both of those are plastic, not metal.

I forgot to look at my Model 3 today. I hopefully I will remember when I'm back to it on weekend to check the rear bumper pattern for that line.
I forgot to mention, but I actually checked last week. My Model 3 has a seam also and it definitely does not come with factory PPF. I applied diy PPF, but it is wraparound, so it does not create such a seam. As such, I remain skeptical what people are seeing are PPF unless someone actually is able to lift it and show an actual film.

Reactions: Pianewman
I picked a corner and used by fingernail to make an indent into the area. If it wasnt ppf would that occur on the plastic bumber? I guess i could check on my 2020 model 3.
The bumper is just painted plastic, so it's not hard to make a marking. Actually a better way to check without marking up your car is just look in the trunk. There will always be a seam line in the trunk where the PPF is applied (while from factory, that section would be continuous).

I linked an example video of an install that should show where a seam line would be in the trunk.

This is where the seam would be, given it would be a vertical line from the PPF.
PPF_trunk_seam.jpg

Last edited:

We've had this discussion before...this is like Groundhog Day...

I looked at ours yesterday, sorry no pics, and it does not have any mold line, or what some think is PPF. Why do some have it and some don't?
My understanding is all of them have the mold line on the bumper portion (make sure you are looking at bumper not other panels), just that depending on the thickness of the paint verses the mold line (and also color of your paint) it is more or less obvious.

Reactions: fsb1 and Pianewman
Know the light is different, but who would tell me this is not PPF ? 😉
Pic 3522 is AFTER i put original TESLA PPF on the rear doors

Attachments

• DSC_3380.JPG
    DSC_3380.JPG
    488.6 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_3522.JPG
    DSC_3522.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited: