Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 MYP suspension questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2023 MYP, took possession in Nov 2022, around 22k miles. I love it except suspension is way too stiff to be comfortable, given potholes where I live. I'm willing to sacrifice some performance and $$ for a smoother ride. Many threads here mention Tesla "comfort" suspension and possible after-party shocks (TEIN EnduraPro Plus shocks seem to be oft-recommended)

1. How do I know if my MYP has the comfort suspension already?

2. If I don't have comfort suspension is it possible to buy and install through Tesla dealer?

3. If I get after-market shocks installed does this my entire warranty? My entire warranty? Or on a case-by-case basis if something goes wrong?

Thank you!

The comfort suspension is mostly the shocks and they are not that good. For a direct replacement the red Koni special active shocks are your best bet. The 31mm front sway bar has a big contribution on side to side head shake. Going to a 29mm off a model 3 performance makes a noticeable reduction in harshness and rock. It will slow down the steering response slightly, but you get used to it in no time.
Also switching to a lighter 19inch wheel and tire package make a huge difference in comfort. The stock 21's are almost 40lb a piece.

if you are not a car person, I’d do this.

1) Switch from 21” wheels to 19” and get Hankook Evo ion suv tires (I did this). Benefits, about 30 miles more range (it’s physics/science stuff) a bit more comfy ride due to tire having sidewalk , less road rumble & feeling every gravel in road due to more sidewall. More protection from tire blowout due topical. The 21” tire is stretched thinly over the wheel. If you must have 21” then here is how to get it to be more comfy but speedometer will be slightly incorrect at higher speeds.

2) if you are not a car person, Get comfort suspension from unplugged performance, redwood auto sports or mountain pass performance. All are well known in Tesla community. If you are a car person sure go have fun picking parts from various brands.

Reactions: JustABill
if you are not a car person, I’d do this.

1) Switch from 21” wheels to 19” and get Hankook Evo ion suv tires (I did this). Benefits, about 30 miles more range (it’s physics/science stuff) a bit more comfy ride due to tire having sidewalk , less road rumble & feeling every gravel in road due to more sidewall. More protection from tire blowout due topical. The 21” tire is stretched thinly over the wheel. If you must have 21” then here is how to get it to be more comfy but speedometer will be slightly incorrect at higher speeds.

2) if you are not a car person, Get comfort suspension from unplugged performance, redwood auto sports or mountain pass performance. All are well known in Tesla community. If you are a car person sure go have fun picking parts from various brands.
Thank you!

I'm not a car person so I think I'll price out the wheels and the comfort suspension and see where that goes. I just got new tires and that alone was over 2k.
So most (if not all) of the range degradation from MYLR->MYP is from the wheel size? Basically it takes more energy to rotate a bigger wheel with more mass?

Thank you!

I'm not a car person so I think I'll price out the wheels and the comfort suspension and see where that goes. I just got new tires and that alone was over 2k.
So most (if not all) of the range degradation from MYLR->MYP is from the wheel size? Basically it takes more energy to rotate a bigger wheel with more mass?
MYP having wider tyres is the main contribution I think.

It doesn't hurt to have lighter rims and tyres because less energy is used to get them up to speed.

At a steady speed, which tends to be out on the highway it's all about air resistance and much less about rolling resistance, but that is less of that with a skinnier tyre as well.

Reactions: JustABill
Take a peek through the wheel well to see if you can see the part number on the shocks. If it ends with an F, that should be the "comfort" suspension. The part numbers should correspond to:
  • Front Left: 1188371-00-F
  • Front Right: 1188376-00-F
  • Rear Shock: 1188465-00-F
I have read some people having luck with Tesla service ordering the newer parts with the F.

Too bad you're in San Diego, I would have bought your stock performance suspension.

Moving from 21" to 19" doesn't have much of an effect on ride quality. The dampers are 100% to blame. It's still going to be "jumpy" and harsh on -2022 suspension. When I put my winters on, it's still like driving a truck. The dampers get even stiffer as it gets colder out.

I would do the dampers first before anything else. Chasing ride quality through a fatter sidewall isn't going to give you the most bang for the buck. It's minimal.

And 2023- comfort suspension doesn't drastically change the ride either. It's better, but not going to ride like an M-Sport BMW or any properly tuned german car.

I just drove through NYC yesterday to get home (George Washington Bridge/Throgs Neck Bridge) and it had me thinking about suspension again. I'm surprised I didn't bend a wheel. It was neck-snappingly bad.

Reactions: 804son
Dropping to 20" tires helps with comfort, coilovers will benefit in handling. IMHO, going 20x10 squared is the ultimate fitment (and tire rotation).

52754145079_7a40693feb_b.jpg

Don't waste time or money with piecing together the Tesla "comfort" pieces, the OEM suspension is very cheap in quality. The Tein EnduraPro Plus & Konis are slightly better, but if you're planning on lowering the MY slightly - the ST XA Suspension Coilover kits are priced not much more than a set of springs/struts and you have much better components (with 5 year warranty). For more performance-oriented folk, there are also systems from KW and Ohlins.

Make sure to enjoy your car for the short time you own it. A good quality suspension package (and wheels/tires) will make all the difference.

Reactions: fiehlsport
Dropping to 20" tires helps with comfort, coilovers will benefit in handling. IMHO, going 20x10 squared is the ultimate fitment (and tire rotation).

52754145079_7a40693feb_b.jpg

Don't waste time or money with piecing together the Tesla "comfort" pieces, the OEM suspension is very cheap in quality. The Tein EnduraPro Plus & Konis are slightly better, but if you're planning on lowering the MY slightly - the ST XA Suspension Coilover kits are priced not much more than a set of springs/struts and you have much better components (with 5 year warranty). For more performance-oriented folk, there are also systems from KW and Ohlins.

Make sure to enjoy your car for the short time you own it. A good quality suspension package (and wheels/tires) will make all the difference.
do these kits also have the adj camber arms for the back to set a perfect, min tire wear alignment in the rear?

do these kits also have the adj camber arms for the back to set a perfect, min tire wear alignment in the rear?
Coilovers don't come pre-packaged with Adjustable Camber arms, but they are available separately. Those looking for a mild drop may not even need them, but it never hurts to add them as this just adds more room for adjustment.

We keep everything in stock.

Reactions: kpanda17