Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With GOLD XING currently navigating the Suez Canal it has been confirmed that she will now dock in Ashdod early tomorrow morning (30 Jul).

It's also confirmed that HOEGH TOKYO is carrying some MY to Zeebrugge (24 Aug). She will be added to the tracker map. She is currently in the South China Sea after taking an unusual route remaining well clear of Taiwan.

VIKING SEA looks like she is positioning to dock in Shanghai South tomorrow. Will she collect the Canadian cars GRAND SAPPHIRE declined a couple of weeks ago?

Reactions: XHabjab
If that is the case, then an arrival in Koper on the afternoon of 5 Aug is totally possible.
KoperSchedule says she will arrive in the evening of 05. August ...

1690628894053.png

@Mr Miserable. I’m from canada. My agent said my model y is gonna come in week 3 of august. My app still shows aug 4 - 18th delivery. Do you know which ship is gonna carry my car?

“As of now your assigned unit is on route from Shanghai.” Is what I got from the agent when I emailed him about where the car is now?

I have placed my order on jul 2 and got a vin as well

@Mr Miserable. I’m from canada. My agent said my model y is gonna come in week 3 of august. My app still shows aug 4 - 18th delivery. Do you know which ship is gonna carry my car?

“As of now your assigned unit is on route from Shanghai.” Is what I got from the agent when I emailed him about where the car is now?

I think I posted, less than 2 hours ago, that VIKING SEA may be worth watching.

GLOVIS COURAGE was originally aiming to arrive in Suez on 31 Jul with a transit on 01 Aug. It looks now that she is planning to arrive in the early hours of 2 Aug with the hope of joining the northbound convoy a few hours later. If that is the case, then an arrival in Koper on the afternoon of 5 Aug is totally possible.
Do you know how often (interval) is this northbound convoy going? Is it like each 12 hours or more?

If your delivery window is August 4-18 and your SA said the car is coming in a few weeks then it’s most likely already unloaded off of Morning Margareta at Richmond Terminal.

My car is coming on August 16th according to my SA and I’m fairly confident it was on the Morning Margareta.

Reactions: Spop12
@Mr Miserable Do you know how many vehicles Glovis Courage is carrying to Koper?

Or how long does it take to unload the ship and load cars on the truck (I am just trying to calculate when it might arrive in Prague by truck if Koper's arrival would be 05).

I called them and they told me that they need to get a transit truck ready so I am assuming this "loading cars on the truck" operation might take another 3 days.

Do you have any experience with that as well?

@Mr Miserable Do you know how many vehicles Glovis Courage is carrying to Koper?

Or how long does it take to unload the ship and load cars on the truck (I am just trying to calculate when it might arrive in Prague by truck if Koper's arrival would be 05).

I called them and they told me that they need to get a transit truck ready so I am assuming this "loading cars on the truck" operation might take another 3 days.

Do you have any experience with that as well?
She didn't spend much time loading and so I would guess she only has 1000-1500 cars onboard. Unloading depends on how many teams are assigned to the task and how far from the ship the cars are to be parked however I should imagine she will be unloaded within 36 hours. In the UK the cars are then prepared for delivery before being loaded onto car transporters for distribution. Again how long that takes depends on how many people are thrown at the task, if it all. It may be that the pre-delivery preparation is done in the destination country instead.

There is a fire on the ship carrying EVs near Netherlands, do you know if this ship was carrying some teslas or if it’s some other car company?
Initially it was reported that there were only 25 EVs on board the FREMANTLE HIGHWAY however that figure has been revised to 498 EVs and 3265 other vehicles. From looking at planned itinerary I think it is extremely unlikely that any of the cars involved were Teslas.
Fire's have regularly broken out on car carriers over the years and the source is generally regarded as being 12v batteries. This is especially true on used cars but historical evidence also shows that new cars are prone to 12v battery problems too. The trouble is that the press will jump at any hint of a battery fire to be EV-related. The problem is that once an EV is set alight it will burn fiercely. Having said that ICE cars are shipped with low fuel levels in the fuel tanks which creates a higher risk of explosion. Replacing the explosive fumes in the fuel tank with an inert gas is deemed to be an unnecessary expense. On the ships powerful fans circulate fresh air to prevent the build up of gases and to prevent localised humidity.
Fire is acknowledged as being one of the greatest threats to a car carrier and sophisticated fire-fighting systems including low and high pressure CO2 , and pressure water sprays including hi-fog system and high expansion foam systems are used, The CO2 systems can be very effective however there is a very real risk to life with their use and so cannot be triggered automatically.

@Mr Miserable I am
Initially it was reported that there were only 25 EVs on board the FREMANTLE HIGHWAY however that figure has been revised to 498 EVs and 3265 other vehicles. From looking at planned itinerary I think it is extremely unlikely that any of the cars involved were Teslas.
Fire's have regularly broken out on car carriers over the years and the source is generally regarded as being 12v batteries. This is especially true on used cars but historical evidence also shows that new cars are prone to 12v battery problems too. The trouble is that the press will jump at any hint of a battery fire to be EV-related. The problem is that once an EV is set alight it will burn fiercely. Having said that ICE cars are shipped with low fuel levels in the fuel tanks which creates a higher risk of explosion. Replacing the explosive fumes in the fuel tank with an inert gas is deemed to be an unnecessary expense. On the ships powerful fans circulate fresh air to prevent the build up of gases and to prevent localised humidity.
Fire is acknowledged as being one of the greatest threats to a car carrier and sophisticated fire-fighting systems including low and high pressure CO2 , and pressure water sprays including hi-fog system and high expansion foam systems are used, The CO2 systems can be very effective however there is a very real risk to life with their use and so cannot be triggered automatically.
@Mr Miserable Thanks for the inside! What is the chance of catching my Tesla on fire after the usage? Let's say it might have been somehow damaged during the transport on the ship. Is it possible or this is highly unlikely? Or in general, how likely will my Tesla catch on fire?

Because exactly as you said, the press is really writing only about how EVs are catching in fires, but from what I have researched, this is not that common... What do you think?

SUMMARY 31 Jul 23

GRANDE MIRAFIORI
Arrived in Barcelona yesterday.

GOLD XING arrived in Ashdod yesterday, now enroute to Derince, Turkey (2 Aug).

GLOVIS COURAGE heading for Suez. Confirmed to be heading for Koper with an ETA of 5 Aug.

GLOVIS SUNRISE Indications are that this ship may be heading for Southampton. If so, she should arrive around 11/12 Aug.

HOEGH TOKYO
due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 24 Aug. She is confirmed to be carrying some MY.
If you have a VIN then you can check to see if your car is onboard by clicking HERE. Don't forget to let me know if you successfully find your car!

VIKING SEA ETA Vancouver 13 Aug.

MORNING CARINA She departed Shanghai on 21 Jul and will arrive in Barcelona 16 Aug and Zeebrugge on 28 Aug
I'm not yet convinced she is carrying Teslas.

MORNING PILOT is enroute from Shanghai to Southampton (6 Sep) however I'm pretty sure she is not on Tesla related business.

AMERICAN HIGHWAY departed Pier 80 to Hawaii. Pier 80 was traditionally used for shipments to/from Hawaii and it looks like this role has been resurrected this year.

Reactions: XHabjab
@Mr Miserable I found this document describing how the Suez Canal Convoy system works. In that document, it's mentioned that the Northbound convoy is departing at 0500 in the morning. I tried to calculate and predict the route of the Glovis Courage to Suez, which should arrive at Suez at 0100 Aug 02, but - it's gonna be very tight and I think it might have a little delay (1-2 hours). In that document, it's mentioned that the ship has to arrive before 0200 that day if they want to join the morning convoy, if the ship's gonna be delayed and still want to join that day, there's some fee they have to pay. Do you think that Glovis Courage would still join the 02 Aug morning convoy even if they arrive in Suez later than at 0200? Or what is the procedure for this? Do they in general pay a fee to let them in or just wait till next morning?

Thanks a lot for your insights!