Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over in Shanghai, MORNING CONDUCTOR has now departed Shanghai South for Vancouver via Tacoma. This is almost certainly a shipment of MY RWD.
Deliveries from this shipment should be able to be completed by the end of the quarter.
TULANE is loading at the main Haitong terminal and is on a classic Tesla schedule of Southampton and Zeebrugge however there are some other aspects which make her pretty unlikely to be carrying any Teslas, in my opinion.
I'm not expecting to see a shipment depart to Europe/UK until next month. Why should Tesla have thousands of unsold cars at sea over a quarter-end when there is a hugely important bigger local market that can take every car Tesla can produce? If there are any problems with the refreshed M3 they will become apparent much quicker if they sell locally first.

Meanwhile, a San Francisco resident has tipped me to keep an eye on NEPTUNE BARCELONA. She is presently heading to the port of Richmond which is in the San Francisco Bay and the word is that once she has unloaded there she is likely to head over to Pier 80. We shall see.....

Last edited:
Reactions: XHabjab
Jan - March for Australia..... quite vague, so not necessarily January..... basically Quarter 1

with UK web page not selling the new version yet does suggest there will be more shipments of the current/old M3 to UK... perhaps UK will get some Fremont exports again to plug the gap?
That's an interesting idea. The problem with it is that the Panama Canal is a nightmare at the moment and must be avoided. The alternative is trains to the East coast and shipping from there. It has been done before but it will work out to be really expensive. I would also question how long Tesla will want Fremont to continue building the 'old' M3. The new Model 3 has been announced and the cat is out of the bag, - they don't want to do an Osborne. (Osborne effect-worth a Google if you are unfamiliar).
I think the easier option will be to allow the M3 to be 'sold out' until such time as Shanghai produce a RHD version.

Reactions: navguy12
I actually don't feel that bad about the delay of my Model S anymore, thanks to the price drop!
Even though I had put an early order (for EU standards) and had locked a price of €114k in 2021, which turned to €116k when I changed to color from gray to Ultra Red, the new price in Greece with the same equipment is now "only" €102.5k (Yoke, EAP, Cream interior).

I contacted them just in case and they told me that the price will be updated on my order in about 2 days! Imagine having it received the expected 1 week ago without a delay! 💀

That's an interesting idea. The problem with it is that the Panama Canal is a nightmare at the moment and must be avoided. The alternative is trains to the East coast and shipping from there. It has been done before but it will work out to be really expensive. I would also question how long Tesla will want Fremont to continue building the 'old' M3. The new Model 3 has been announced and the cat is out of the bag, - they don't want to do an Osborne. (Osborne effect-worth a Google if you are unfamiliar).
I think the easier option will be to allow the M3 to be 'sold out' until such time as Shanghai produce a RHD version.
true, but I question why Australia can order the M3 Highland now, but UK cannot.

It suggests to me that UK may get a shipment of "old" RHD M3 models in Q4 that Australia will not (next ships to Oz are 2024/Highland)

.... and with USA also not getting the new model until 2024, it seems logical that Fremont could be the source of UK Q3 "old" M3's... unless Shanghai maintains a line for "old" RHD M3 output for UK market only.

Maybe I'm wrong (v. possibly!) but perhaps wise to keep a closer eye on east coat and west coast USA ships to UK over the next few months.

I'm not expecting to see a shipment depart to Europe/UK until next month.

How long is the trip from Asia to Europe? The configurator in Europe for the highland estimates delivery for October-November, so if they are departing in October wouldn't that make the delivery estimate impossible?

Another question, regarding the highland and reveal, do you know how Tesla would go about transporting the demo models to Europe before launch without outing it? By plane or among all the other cars by ship?

I ordered a Model Y (via a UK leaseco) about 10 days ago and already have the VIN. The Tesla app says to expect delivery 9-24 Sept. I’ve searched the VIN but there are no results - based on the last 6 digits more recent ones are listed, but not sure if that makes any difference. Reading through the thread is it likely my car is already en route?

How long is the trip from Asia to Europe? The configurator in Europe for the highland estimates delivery for October-November, so if they are departing in October wouldn't that make the delivery estimate impossible?

Another question, regarding the highland and reveal, do you know how Tesla would go about transporting the demo models to Europe before launch without outing it? By plane or among all the other cars by ship?
They went to some lengths to keep the arrival of the demo models a secret. Even using Norwegian trade plates rather than registering them (The Norwegian car registration details are pretty closely monitored by some and so a 2024 year Model 3 VIN (R) would have stuck out like a sore thumb!)
There was time for these cars to have been shipped by sea and I reckon hiding them in plain sight would have been a pretty safe bet - the changes are subtle and if no other Model 3s are in the same shipment it would be hard to spot.
I'm not sure the indicators are suitable for UK driving conditions with our propensity for roundabouts or traffic circles. Having driven a lot in the USA over the years, I can say that the use of indicators is yet to be fully realised over there (although I admit there are regional variations). I would like to see Elon take the new Model 3 through the Magic Roundabout in Swindon to see just how practical they are. I think that would be far more entertaining to watch than a cage fight with some geek.

Last edited:
I came accross this thread hunting for the info on the ship its on. No joy yet. Tesla have issued me a vin and a reg no. Will be on a 23 plate. When i asked them to bring the delivery to the friday they text back saying

"Tesla Update - No Andy, it cannot be 15 September 2023, as your car arrives on site on that day."

Felt like I'd been told off for asking for more!
If you’re on a 23-plate, doesn’t the car need to be in the UK already? Can you register a car before it’s arrived?

If you’re on a 23-plate, doesn’t the car need to be in the UK already? Can you register a car before it’s arrived?
Tesla are given a block allocation of registrations and they assign VINs to those registration weeks before the car arrives.
The car is only registered with Swansea on the day of delivery.
It can take a week or so before you receive your registration document.
The registration won't appear on many databases eg insurers, for some time after that.

Tesla are given a block allocation of registrations and they assign VINs to those registration weeks before the car arrives.
The car is only registered with Swansea on the day of delivery.
It can take a week or so before you receive your registration document.
The registration won't appear on many databases eg insurers, for some time after that.
Thanks @Mr Miserable - so you can end up with a 23 plate for a car registered in September?

NO. All cars registered for the first time in Sept will be on a 73 plate. Registration date is the day of delivery.
Tesla will have been given blocks of 73 plate registrations for Sept deliveries.
That’s what I thought - just checking. Thanks! I held off ordering mine because I wanted a 73. That said, it could already be in the UK if there aren’t any boats expected in.

I shall be away on holiday (sur le continent avec mon Model Y) for the next couple of weeks.
I'm not expecting much to happen, shipping wise, whilst I'm away since we are approaching the end of Q3.
The next shipments to EU/UK will likely recommence in October and I shall be back in the saddle by then.
Toodle-pip!

I shall be away on holiday (sur le continent avec mon Model Y) for the next couple of weeks.
I'm not expecting much to happen, shipping wise, whilst I'm away since we are approaching the end of Q3.
The next shipments to EU/UK will likely recommence in October and I shall be back in the saddle by then.
Toodle-pip!
Have a great trip

thank you for your continued support to this group

Reactions: navguy12