Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Toyota Prius Looks Shockingly Cool

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new fifth-gen Prius is also significantly more powerful than before, with Toyota claiming that
the reworked hybrid system produces 193 hp in standard form and 220 hp in the plug-in-hybrid model.

2023-toyota-prius-japan-front-three-quarters-1668576156.jpg

2023-toyota-prius-japan-rear-three-quarters-1668576158.jpg

2023-toyota-prius-japan-side-2-1668576156.jpg

It's about time Toyota put that drivetrain and efficiency into a body that doesn't look like a goofy nerd-mobile...

Now if only Toyota would get with the times and wrap that body around a good EV drivetrain and stop relying on hybrids to maintain their green image. The Prius has been out for 20+ years now and I've been waiting for Toyota to fully electrify their fleet for at least 15 years, but their lack of progress has been highly disappointing, not to mention their outright hostility to EVs by endlessly bashing them through advertising and lobbying.

Wow, looks okay AND still very recognizable as a Prius. Not bad. And more power I hear? That addresses another Prius failing. Will it still have steering as slow as a bus?

Back seat might be kind of claustrophobic though with those short side windows. We shall see. I'm sure I'll end up inside one at some point.

Reactions: ChadS

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-16 at 10.19.58 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-16 at 10.19.58 AM.png
    518.5 KB · Views: 122
They haven’t announced range yet?

Looks like plug in will get 58 miles or about what the Volt got. Which is finally in the useful range.

Note that that 58 isn't EPA 58. The Prime was rated at 39 miles by the same testing method.
Prius Prime is rated 25 miles EPA, so the additional capacity (13.6 kWh total v 8.8 kWh total), if the usable proportion is increased, could get it somewhere close to 40 miles.

Definitely want to check this out if it comes to the USA soon as we'll be looking to replace our Volt next year and my wife's first reaction to the RAV4 Prime was that it was a bit big.
My wife never liked our Prius, but with the improved performance she'd be more interested.
With the improved range plus the heat pump and high efficiency, I'm more interested.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cosmacelf and tm1v2
looks good , but do the driving dynamics still suck the soul right out of you?
The PRs emphasize low center of gravity, reduced weight, increased rigidity along with a wider stance, nimble feel. But not much else about handling feel. besides a generic "have been enhanced". Given that it's a mass-market Toyota and previous cars are pretty soft, I would not expect too much.

A 0-60 in 7.0 (AWD) or 7.2 (FWD) is pretty reasonable, though, and a big upgrade from previous Prius. Still - want to see this in a full EV and has the 58 miles of PHEV range been confirmed? I have only seen a claim of 57 MPG Combined.

It's kind of funny, though - the more I stare at the front-end, the less appealing it looks - it's a bit snubby at front edge/tip. Still a big improvement, though.

Note that that 58 isn't EPA 58. The Prime was rated at 39 miles by the same testing method.
Prius Prime is rated 25 miles EPA, so the additional capacity (13.6 kWh total v 8.8 kWh total), if the usable proportion is increased, could get it somewhere close to 40 miles.

Definitely want to check this out if it comes to the USA soon as we'll be looking to replace our Volt next year and my wife's first reaction to the RAV4 Prime was that it was a bit big.
My wife never liked our Prius, but with the improved performance she'd be more interested.
With the improved range plus the heat pump and high efficiency, I'm more interested.
We travel from Anaheim to Chandler AZ often to visit the grandkids; While we do have a MYP and have made Two trips on it; We prefer driving our 7 year old Prius (265K miles) I definitely would be interested in replacing it with this new good looking Prius 👍🏻

Reactions: voyager