Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Model 3 LR AWD is now eligible for the $7500 tax credit [posted 06/17/2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess... but I'd at least be stopping for a drink or to use a restroom on a 4-5 hour drive--- and I'd be able to add significantly more charge than I needed to finish the trip in the short time that takes without adding any time whatsoever to the trip.

For marathoners who pee in Gatorade bottles or just hold it, sure, that's 5 wasted minutes I guess.... but they're still doing bad math.

It's 5-10 minutes a handful of times a year.

Versus the 5-10 minutes every week the Lexus GX wastes stopping at local gas stations all year the EV never has to do because you just plug it in at home in 5 seconds and it's "full" every morning.
You don't have to convince me; we agree on all the same points.

But there are a lot of people in this world who objectively don't agree with us and their points are still valid, despite whatever logical reasoning we may have in retort.

(I should point out my wife's phone is literally always dead or under 20% battery, despite there being an abundance of charging cords in the house and cars. This behavior translates very poorly to EV's for her and I have plenty of friends who do the same. "Just plug it in" doesn't work for them 😆)

You don't have to convince me; we agree on all the same points.

But there are a lot of people in this world who objectively don't agree with us and their points are still valid, despite whatever logical reasoning we may have in retort.

(I should point out my wife's phone is literally always dead or under 20% battery, despite there being an abundance of charging cords in the house and cars. This behavior translates very poorly to EV's for her and I have plenty of friends who do the same. "Just plug it in" doesn't work for them 😆)

There are also large areas of the US which are inaccessible in any reasonable use case to EVs, even with access to CCS (though CCS helps a bit - with Supercharger only it is even more dire).

You can make it work if you are driving through usually, but that is not a useful case if you have to account for 100+ miles of remote side roads.

All you have to do is plan a backpacking trip to somewhere in a Nevada range, southeastern Oregon, and even some places in Arizona and the desert Southwest (those are “easier” but I was still forced to use an ICE).

Back to the thread, Sawyer is five days behind the times:

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeremy3292

Actually a touch curious-- if you say you're eligible does Tesla require you to do the POS credit transfer with them?

Because the IRS doesn't-- it's an option- and while it's typically the measurably better option you could still choose to instead take the credit when you file after Dec 31 instead (and indeed, you MUST do that if it's your third or more credit in a year, though cases where folks could get a third credit are exceedingly narrow)

Actually a touch curious-- if you say you're eligible does Tesla require you to do the POS credit transfer with them?

Because the IRS doesn't-- it's an option- and while it's typically the measurably better option you could still choose to instead take the credit when you file after Dec 31 instead (and indeed, you MUST do that if it's your third or more credit in a year, though cases where folks could get a third credit are exceedingly narrow)
You are offered a choice to transfer the credit to Tesla or take it on your tax returns after you place your order. So yes, this would be a workaround for someone who is purchasing a Tesla and wants the Panasonic batteries even though they don’t qualify for the credit.

You are offered a choice to transfer the credit to Tesla or take it on your tax returns after you place your order. So yes, this would be a workaround for someone who is purchasing a Tesla and wants the Panasonic batteries even though they don’t qualify for the credit.
But not if you lease, right? Bc Tesla will apply the tax credit to the lease payments? So you couldn’t “trick” Tesla then

But not if you lease, right? Bc Tesla will apply the tax credit to the lease payments? So you couldn’t “trick” Tesla then
If you place an order off the order page for a lease Tesla will direct the order to a VIN with the LG batteries. Yet to be determined is what happens if you select an inventory vehicle with Panasonic batteries but you elect to lease it. I don’t know if Tesla will redirect the order to a VIN with LG batteries or just let it go through.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeremy3292
I doubt they’re gonna get too heavy handed in policing this. They don’t need to. 9/10 buyers have no clue nor concern about the differences in the batteries, and Tesla isn’t gonna lose a sale over it for the one guy who does.

@OCR1 just curious if were you provided this at time of sale? Per IRS:

1719328365958.png