Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Model 3 Performance Announced - Discussion thread post announcement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not going to trade up, but if there’s an option to install the new front seats in my “old” M3P, then I’d consider that option - once I get to demo the new seats and see how they feel in comparison.

I’d like to hear from people who spend time at the track. Is the new M3P any better outside a straight line? I’m too ignorant about racing to know. The 0-60 is fine and all, but my understanding is turns and past 60mph is where it needed more improvement than off-the-line.

I’ll have to rely on YT for answers for now until more regular folk get their hands on the new model and spend time feeling it out.

Do you think Tesla purposely tried to deceive customers outside of the USA today, with the Model 3 performance announcement?

All of the test-drive reviews being published today about the new Model 3 Performance, that are raving about performance at higher speeds (in comparison to old P version) were all tested in the USA using USA-built Model 3 performance.

According to Tesla website, cars manufactured in the USA have more than 500hp, while cars manufactured in China are weaker (probably due to the lesser battery) and only have 460hp.

Now, since the 0-60 times are identical between cars made in USA and China, it means all that extra power of the USA cars, is going to the above 60mph area.

I find it a bit misleading (without resorting to harsher language) of Tesla to do that - advertise the car with reviewers who only drove the stronger USA version, while giving no one to review the slower Chinese version. So orders opened today all around the world, and those who live in countries that are supplied from China happily ordered the car believing the test-review claiming a much better acceleration above 60mph, only to maybe later discover that they are getting a different car!

Reactions: Ultimos
Do you think Tesla purposely tried to deceive customers outside of the USA today, with the Model 3 performance announcement?

All of the test-drive reviews being published today about the new Model 3 Performance, that are raving about performance at higher speeds (in comparison to old P version) were all tested in the USA using USA-built Model 3 performance.

According to Tesla website, cars manufactured in the USA have more than 500hp, while cars manufactured in China are weaker (probably due to the lesser battery) and only have 460hp.

Now, since the 0-60 times are identical between cars made in USA and China, it means all that extra power of the USA cars, is going to the above 60mph area.

I find it a bit misleading (without resorting to harsher language) of Tesla to do that - advertise the car with reviewers who only drove the stronger USA version, while giving no one to review the slower Chinese version. So orders opened today all around the world, and those who live in countries that are supplied from China happily ordered the car believing the test-review claiming a much better acceleration above 60mph, only to maybe later discover that they are getting a different car!

Tesla is a software company first and a brilliant marketing company to be able to successfully pull off these things. They don't care, sucks I know, but you can count on the fact that they thought through the playbook from A to Z. It's all business. No emotions involved.

It's a rocky time for Tesla, but even if it wasn't the scenario and deception would be the same. That's just how it is. People will still order the 3P. It's a great car, especially for the money.

• Disagree
Reactions: KerrySkates
Tesla is a software company first and a brilliant marketing company to be able to successfully pull off these things. They don't care, sucks I know, but you can count on the fact that they thought through the playbook from A to Z. It's all business. No emotions involved.

It's a rocky time for Tesla, but even if it wasn't the scenario and deception would be the same. That's just how it is. People will still order the 3P. It's a great car, especially for the money.
It's very sad for me to see that you are accepting this behavior in any way. This is deception. Tesla should at least allow the customers to get their order-money back.

10k delta here in Canada between LR and Perf …as the former has a 5k rebate. P does not.

64.9 k less 5k

Not the $16/month price delta in US. More like $80. If the P also had the rebate I’d have ordered by now.

I’m trying to see if I can test one at some point soon and compare to my 22’ LR/boost with 20” V1 perf set on. I know it’s not the same feel, susp or road noise. But are they diff enough on daily drive? Hmm 🤔

There has to be some sort of L option coming given the badging no?
IMG_1639.jpeg
IMG_1284.jpeg

Reactions: jose3030
10k delta here in Canada between LR and Perf …as the former has a 5k rebate. P does not.

64.9 k less 5k

Not the $16/month price delta in US. More like $80. If the P also had the rebate I’d have ordered by now.

I’m trying to see if I can test one at some point soon and compare to my 22’ LR/boost with 20” V1 perf set on.

There has to be some sort of L option coming given the badging no?
Without the Panasonic battery I'd never buy the new car here, I'd import from the US.

Reactions: Elektrick
It's very sad for me to see that you are accepting this behavior in any way. This is deception. Tesla should at least allow the customers to get their order-money back.

To clarify, I accept the fact that Tesla isn't the only Company to possess deception. Do I agree with it? Of course not so you don't have to be sad about that. It's business. Like I said, no emotions involved. The only thing you have to accept and to be aware of are people like @KerrySkates who may not be able to accept the reality for what it is. That's okay too, it's just the way that it is. This is why it's healthy to have discussions about this stuff openly to be able to see both sides of the spectrum.

Last edited:

My guess is this is why no 1/4 mile data has been published. The HP is shown on the order page so if someone hits buy, they know they're only getting the 460hp version.

64.9 k less 5k

I’m trying to see if I can test one at some point soon and compare to my 22’ LR/boost with 20” V1 perf set on. I know it’s not the same feel, susp or road noise. But are they diff enough on daily drive? Hmm 🤔

There has to be some sort of L option coming given the badging no?View attachment 1041111View attachment 1041112

Yea the larger price delta is unfortunate for you guys up north. Regarding the new 3, I drove one yesterday at an event and spent some solid time with it. It's without a doubt an improvement over the previous 3 and I think it's what Tesla have always wanted their 3 to be. Before getting into the new 3 I just came out of a model S and in some ways I found the new 3 to be actually quieter.

The suspension on the new 3 is far far far superior to the current gen. It's very well composed. Shockingly good. Everything is just more refined and buttoned up better. Is it worth to upgrade if you have a current 3? For performance, in my opinion not really, but as a daily driver absolutely. They are two very different cars dynamically.

As for the badge, I think they'll launch a software upgrade for Ludacris sometime at the end of this year? That's just my guess, but as it stands, there's no way the new 3P is deserving of that badge. It just doesn't make sense. I had mentioned in the older thread that it's like if BMW came out with a regular 3 series and slapped a M badge on there. Doesn't make sense right?

Last edited:
Reactions: Destiny1701
Based on the Canadian order page which says 460hp, we're getting the junk LG pack.
Well then fk that. Another reason to leave this fkd up country now…just keep adding to the list on top of prices out of control, weather garbage, taxes insane, broken healthcare. Not the same Canada I grew up in.

And now 460hp vs 500+? lol. Just another reason to move to big brother.
Time to move to TX. :)

Well then fk that. Another reason to leave this fkd up country now…just keep adding to the list on top of prices out of control, weather garbage, taxes insane, broken healthcare. Not the same Canada I grew up in.

And now 460hp vs 500+? lol. Just another reason to move to big brother.
Time to move to TX. :)

Wait just a bit and buy a used one for half the price. 😅

I wish I was fully joking, but can you imagine the new 3P in the 30s or 40s not very long from now? It's a fun thought and one heck of a great car to be had then for the price.

Side note: I feel your pain, a lot of us are sick of similar things even in the States. Even the Peoples Republic of ___ States who you'd think are EV friendly have much higher registration prices and EV taxes. Just insane. Funny that you mentioned TX, even as an oil state they are in many ways more EV friendly than the coastal states that have lost their minds.

Yes.

But also keep in mind the lower rated range by about 45 miles and the Performance comes with 20” summer tires. Meaning they are more likely to get damaged and they’ll be more expensive to replace. Also people with winter climates will need separate winter wheels/tires.

Was very pleasantly surprised with the price, most of all. I was in the group of folks expecting ~$60k USD. Not only does it come in significantly cheaper than that, but it's also eligible for the tax credit for US buyers (if you do not change too many options), and in SOME states an additional substantial credit may apply (wish I lived in CO right now!). These things combined just really blow me away.

Personally I think the new styling is superior to the previous years (compared to my 23 M3RWD at least, which I still loved the look of), and the other upgrades are highly desired by myself (especially ventilated seats, I miss those from my Kias that I've owned). The loss of stalks is no big deal to me.

Placed my order - It says May-June, but I am not going to be surprised when it slips longer.

I know there are some disappointed people who expected more, but I am pretty freakin' excited right now. :)