Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Model 3 Performance Announced - Discussion thread post announcement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
/thread already.

It's not like people have the option to choose a MIC or US version when purchasing in whatever country they live.
The biggest question would be to stick with their current car or upgrade to the new. They might be taking a major loss if they sell their current car. If the new car isn't much better then it may not be worth it to them. In the US the difference in acceleration is significant for sure. In the rest of the world it is much less so.

/thread already.

It's not like people have the option to choose a MIC or US version when purchasing in whatever country they live.
I have a track modified 2019 M3P, which is also my daily driver, and I'm trying to decide whether to buy a Highland LR as a daily driver, and keep my M3P for mainly track, or pay the extra £10k for the new MP3 and swap all the parts off my original M3P onto it, and use my 2019 M3P as my daily/road trip car. The more info the better, to help me decide.

Reactions: MarkoP
My first video on the 2024 Highland Model 3 Performance is up. You can find all of the details in the thread below.

Reactions: arkhos
My first video on the 2024 Highland Model 3 Performance is up. You can find all of the details in the thread below.

I’d say this video and your data disproves any theories, we will receive a ludicrous mode upgrade in the future as basically the car already has it!

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I’d say this video and your data disproves any theories, we will receive a ludicrous mode upgrade in the future as basically the car already has it!
The battery is the limiting factor now. Someone could get another 1 or 2 KW more than I had but that is about it.

I might gut it and go back to the track in 2 weeks but I may have to wait for some cooler weather to really get a fast run in. Cooler motors with a hot battery would definitely get a quicker 0-60 mph.

Reactions: JezzaE
The issue is that the US based Model 3 Performance can do 0-60 mph in 2.9 without subtracting rollout. The MIC cars can only achieve that with rollout subtracted.

There's really not much data on dragy. I see only one swedish guy doing 11.24 in euro, and I doubt he ran with a gutted / modified car on a glued surface. Otherwise, no one seems to care about dragy or do this kind of stuff in euro.
Looks like an american thing :)
Do you have more data on MIC cars ?

Attachments

• 1719830038253.jpeg
    1719830038253.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 1719830052963.jpeg
    1719830052963.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 1
There's really not much data on dragy. I see only one swedish guy doing 11.24 in euro, and I doubt he ran with a gutted / modified car on a glued surface. Otherwise, no one seems to care about dragy or do this kind of stuff in euro.
Not much drag racing goes on in EU, hence there are very few drag strips and not many owners will be that interested in knowing how ther car does over 1/4 mile. There is a meet being planned at Santa Pod in the UK in a couple of week's time which might have one or two Highlands turning up so it's possible we'll see some times from that. Otherwise, in the UK at least, it's mainly going to be about 0-60mph.

The biggest question would be to stick with their current car or upgrade to the new. They might be taking a major loss if they sell their current car. If the new car isn't much better then it may not be worth it to them. In the US the difference in acceleration is significant for sure. In the rest of the world it is much less so.
That would be reasonable if the only differences between the 23 and 24 was a few tenths of a second over a 1/4. But it isn't just that, not even close.

There is a dozen other changes with the car and while drag racing is fun, the vastly superior highland updates (which themselves is substantial between the looks - inside and out, the quality increases etc), with the seats, vastly superior low down punch, much better ride, handling from the suspension.

It's now the car it always should have been. A true all round sports sedan. The extra speed from the pano is just a bonus and taken in that context, it's a no brainer upgrade for anyone who can afford it. The 22/23 cars are only going to be worth less and less anyway.

Ill be taking my MIC M3P to the dragstrip next week. Will get all the data.

I can do 0-100kph on the street but 1/4 mile runs aren't really an option. 120mph here will get you a court date, $2000 fine and a impounded car

Reactions: Clivew and arkhos
Just stating the facts about it. There is such a big difference between the two cars and yet they share the same model name. I can’t think of any other car that has such a huge discrepancy in performance yet has the same name as another car.

It is worth talking about it so that people understand what they are getting when they buy different versions.

If someone looked at the results for a 2024 Model 3 Performance they might see the US version and think that is great not knowing that the version in their area is vastly inferior.

I just want everyone to know what each car can and can’t do. Nothing more. Nothing less.
I actually think it's fairly common to have the same car in different territories have different HP and torque ratings. I know Audis and BMWs are like that.

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
That would be reasonable if the only differences between the 23 and 24 was a few tenths of a second over a 1/4. But it isn't just that, not even close.

There is a dozen other changes with the car and while drag racing is fun, the vastly superior highland updates (which themselves is substantial between the looks - inside and out, the quality increases etc), with the seats, vastly superior low down punch, much better ride, handling from the suspension.

It's now the car it always should have been. A true all round sports sedan. The extra speed from the pano is just a bonus and taken in that context, it's a no brainer upgrade for anyone who can afford it. The 22/23 cars are only going to be worth less and less anyway.
I agree with you that the non performance upgrades are significant on their own. However, there are some people who prioritize performance over everything else. For those people it may be harder to justify the upgrade.

I really am struggling with the new turn signal buttons. I just can't use them at all even after 1,200+ miles in the car already. I have to stop and think about which button does the left turn signal vs. the right turn signal now. It just makes me want to say forget it and not use the turn signals at all. It really is that bad for me and I could understand how people see that specific feature of the new car as a downgrade. Not everything in the new car is an improvement.

For me if the new US car had the European performance I wouldn't have even considered upgrading. It just wouldn't have been worth taking such a huge loss on selling my old car otherwise. However, the US performance upgrade is everything I had hoped it would be and then some. To me that was totally worth it. It is so wonderful to have a 11.0 second 1/4 mile car even with 66% SOC and a cold battery. This thing is every bit as good as Jason Camissa said it was. He wasn't lying in his interview.

I agree with you that the non performance upgrades are significant on their own. However, there are some people who prioritize performance over everything else. For those people it may be harder to justify the upgrade.

I really am struggling with the new turn signal buttons. I just can't use them at all even after 1,200+ miles in the car already. I have to stop and think about which button does the left turn signal vs. the right turn signal now. It just makes me want to say forget it and not use the turn signals at all. It really is that bad for me and I could understand how people see that specific feature of the new car as a downgrade. Not everything in the new car is an improvement.

For me if the new US car had the European performance I wouldn't have even considered upgrading. It just wouldn't have been worth taking such a huge loss on selling my old car otherwise. However, the US performance upgrade is everything I had hoped it would be and then some. To me that was totally worth it. It is so wonderful to have a 11.0 second 1/4 mile car even with 66% SOC and a cold battery. This thing is every bit as good as Jason Camissa said it was. He wasn't lying in his interview.
That's fair, its always up to everyone to decide for their own circumstances. You value straight line performance over everything else, completely understandable.

I won't say most or all, but MANY people in Europe/Aus value the overall package more. Which the MIC spec is certainly still excellent. Gotta remember, here in Aus, the M3P is $85k out the door, a BMW M3compX drive is now $220,000, a Ioniq5N is $120,000. In thaty context the M3P is the bargain of the century.

I am still trying to work out where Tesla pulled the 460/510hp numbers for to market the cars though, doesn't seem to make sense.