Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance (Canada) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Breaking news: Tesla just switched the U.S. LR to 2170 Pano as well so now their LR also gets the $7500 credit. Wow.

So we still get LG, no rebate on P and watch as our southern brothers laugh all the way to the bank.

šŸ™„

Breaking news: Tesla just switched the U.S. LR to 2170 Pano as well so now their LR also gets the $7500 credit. Wow.

So we still get LG, no rebate on P and watch as our southern brothers laugh all the way to the bank.

šŸ™„
Ya, I have to admit. I am second guessing this order. The rebate is not my main concern.
The LG battery, isnā€™t even my biggest issue.
Just why the heck would he not at least put 3 or 4 more kWhā€™s in the pack to compensate for the emergency density difference. All would have been good. ;)

Ya, I have to admit. I am second guessing this order. The rebate is not my main concern.
The LG battery, isnā€™t even my biggest issue.
Just why the heck would he not at least put 3 or 4 more kWhā€™s in the pack to compensate for the emergency density difference. All would have been good. ;)
Agreed! Must be the physical side limit of the battery housing then. šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļø
But I hear you manā€¦this was an epic fail for Tesla globally. I worry LG versions wonā€™t even be offered a ludicrous update one day as the chemistry is simply maxed out.

Agreed! Must be the physical side limit of the battery housing then. šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļø
But I hear you manā€¦this was an epic fail for Tesla globally. I worry LG versions wonā€™t even be offered a ludicrous update one day as the chemistry is simply maxed out.
I agree. I think that battery is likely maxed out. Saw a video from the UK where he said it really felt similar to the previous model 3 performance.
It charges slower, less density, less power. I think it may last longer, and be better in the cold, but Iā€™m not buying a performance car for those things only.

Agreed. I am wondering how to buy US and import one. We are expanding a business into Tx this coming fall so perhaps with a U.S. LLC at up and a visa we may be able to figure something out. šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļø

The LG version really doesnā€™t seem worth it over the Pano once you realize itā€™s essentially an outgoing M3P other than 0-100. Funny how the LR and SR are identical specs but not P., but even that not sure now as the US LR just switched to Pano and ours gets LG as well.

Having two variants of the same model, where one has quite a few weak points, is a strange move. Iā€™m not sure why heā€™s doing that. I get the rebate for the Pano all American made. So if thatā€™s the plan, you should really either keep that battery consistent on all models, or at least bump up the LG with enough cells to compensate.
Iā€™m assume more LG cells wonā€™t fit. ?

Having two variants of the same model, where one has quite a few weak points, is a strange move. Iā€™m not sure why heā€™s doing that. I get the rebate for the Pano all American made. So if thatā€™s the plan, you should really either keep that battery consistent on all models, or at least bump up the LG with enough cells to compensate.
Iā€™m assume more LG cells wonā€™t fit. ?
Yep they wouldnā€™t. Lower density packed into the same physical space.

Definately a bonehead marketing move for a Perf model that has been highly anticipated worldwide. It was expected that this version would be scrutized to the next level vs any other Tesla to date.

I get that Canada (pro China) has cheaper tariffs on imports than from US. Hence shipping all the way from Shanghai rather than local U.Sā€¦ it just sucks for us on range and performance. Build qualityā€¦we have yet to see a definitive diff in this latest model between US and Shanghai. Iā€™d take power and range over a missed paint spot or a trim re alignment all day long lol. The latter being fixable.

Iā€™m likely not going to take delivery unless I get to drive an LG and a Pano and truly feel the diff. If it doesnā€™t ā€˜feelā€™ much different between both modelsā€¦ (butt Dyno) then ok. Most of my driving is 0-140 anyway.
Waiting for a tester to arrive here and in Buffalo :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Technokrat
Yep they wouldnā€™t. Lower density packed into the same physical space.

Definately a bonehead marketing move for a Perf model that has been highly anticipated worldwide. It was expected that this version would be scrutized to the next level vs any other Tesla to date.

I get that Canada (pro China) has cheaper tariffs on imports than from US. Hence shipping all the way from Shanghai rather than local U.Sā€¦ it just sucks for us on range and performance. Build qualityā€¦we have yet to see a definitive diff in this latest model between US and Shanghai. Iā€™d take power and range over a missed paint spot or a trim re alignment all day long lol. The latter being fixable.

Iā€™m likely not going to take delivery unless I get to drive an LG and a Pano and truly feel the diff. If it doesnā€™t ā€˜feelā€™ much different between both modelsā€¦ (butt Dyno) then ok. Most of my driving is 0-140 anyway.
Waiting for a tester to arrive here and in Buffalo :)
Ditto. :)
Definitely a mis-step.
Why put an insane badge, and insane mode in a car that has the same performance as a 2108 performance model. ā€¦

Ditto. :)
Definitely a mis-step.
Why put an insane badge, and insane mode in a car that has the same performance as a 2108 performance model. ā€¦
Save costs and increase margins , I canā€™t think of a single other reason.

Btw I find it funny that the refreshed M3P gets different front bumper which has air pockets for better aerodynamics which btw is standard on all variants of prerefresh M3 šŸ˜‚

Save costs and increase margins , I canā€™t think of a single other reason.

Btw I find it funny that the refreshed M3P gets different front bumper which has air pockets for better aerodynamics which btw is standard on all variants of prerefresh M3 šŸ˜‚
You noticed as well lol. What a joke. Media bought into it as well. They took air vents away and then brought a whole ā€˜newā€™ sport bumper!

If you look closely, itā€™s the previous air vent without a fog light! Biggest scam job once again :)

• Funny
So the car itself; handling, looks, seats, body, etc is all awesome for me. Iā€™m just waiting to either try it, or see thorough speed comparisons between the existing older M3P and the new pano version. That will be telling.
Iā€™m kind of worried that the LG wonā€™t sell that well, and Tesla will end up switching batteries soon after.
Then for years to come, Iā€™ll have a mis-step car that wonā€™t likely have great resaleā€¦
Or, I just buy and enjoy it as is. I canā€™t believe how indecisive I am on this.
Just 3 more kWhā€™s more in the pack, and this likely would be a non issue. Ugh.

So the car itself; handling, looks, seats, body, etc is all awesome for me. Iā€™m just waiting to either try it, or see thorough speed comparisons between the existing older M3P and the new pano version. That will be telling.
Iā€™m kind of worried that the LG wonā€™t sell that well, and Tesla will end up switching batteries soon after.
Then for years to come, Iā€™ll have a mis-step car that wonā€™t likely have great resaleā€¦
Or, I just buy and enjoy it as is. I canā€™t believe how indecisive I am on this.
Just 3 more kWhā€™s more in the pack, and this likely would be a non issue. Ugh.
100% agree. Like the 4680 cells in the Y being a flop. I doubt LG is going anywhere soon though. Itā€™s a mega supplier for Tesla.
They just need to emulate how Pano does it. Itā€™s odd how LG cells are not up to par and yet acceptable.

Reactions: M109Rider
100% agree. Like the 4680 cells in the Y being a flop. I doubt LG is going anywhere soon though. Itā€™s a mega supplier for Tesla.
They just need to emulate how Pano does it. Itā€™s odd how LG cells are not up to par and yet acceptable.
Must be cheap enough to justify the gap in performance or they are more scalable than Panasonic ones in producing volumes

I havenā€™t seen too many technical comparisons of the LG and the Pano 2170ā€™s.
Iā€™ve read here, (so take that with a grain), that the LG has a few advantages.
Better cold weather performance, and longer life expectancy.
Not sure either of those facts are true.
Still rather have the faster charging though.

Really wish someone in the UK, or Australia (who has one already), would run down charging speeds of the LG compared to Pano, as well as apples to apples 0-60 and 1/4 mile.
There have been some runs so far for sure, but never really apples to apples, because they donā€™t and canā€™t have them side by side of course.
So far, it seems the LG meets the advertised speed 0-60. Which is 2.99
Havenā€™t seen one go faster yet.
But the Pano is getting 2.93
Plus the Pano is under 11 sec 1/4 mile.
I donā€™t think any LGā€™s are capable of that.

Hopefully we will have solid data before our VINā€™s come in. ā€¦
I really really donā€™t want to cancel, so Iā€™m willing to accept a lot. If I thought the LG was here to stay for the next 5 years at least, I guess Iā€™m in.
If itā€™s going to be changed with a different battery, in that time frame, Iā€™m more inclined to cancel for now and wait for a new variant.
I just donā€™t see why they would put such a powerful new motor in a performance car, knowing the battery will never come close to letting it reach its potential.
If they put my 2018 AWD motor ā€œ980 I thinkā€ into this new model, I think we would see similar performance. ( bit of speculation and guess work there). That leads me to believe they have full intentions of beefing up the power soon. Otherwise, what was the point of the new motor power.
The Pano seems to be able to give it a run so far.
Done with the rant for now. :)

Wish they offered the 19" wheels as consolation for the less performant battery; it's already coming out of the same factory which offers the 19s.

It would be a real bummer if there is a proper "Ludicrous speed" update down the line which can't be as effective (or even possible) with the LG pack.

Luckily I'm only used to driving around an econobox so it will still be insane as is.

Good point on the Lud update and risk of non-LG compatibility. Part of me says keep my Pano 22ā€™ LRboost with 568km range, 3.6 0-100 (no roll) until we start to see more on the global LG and what it truly means. I can wait till 25ā€™ and just keep driving my fun toy until then.šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļø

But then part of me also likes to enjoy as one wishesā€¦as lifeā€™s too short and one can never predict what lies ahead :)

If Lud was for Pano only, I bet there would be a global revolt by all non US owners.!

Good point on the Lud update and risk of non-LG compatibility. Part of me says keep my Pano 22ā€™ LRboost with 568km range, 3.6 0-100 (no roll) until we start to see more on the global LG and what it truly means. I can wait till 25ā€™ and just keep driving my fun toy until then.šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļø

But then part of me also likes to enjoy as one wishesā€¦as lifeā€™s too short and one can never predict what lies ahead :)

If Lud was for Pano only, I bet there would be a global revolt by all non US owners.!
Wow those are some interesting numbers, my 23M3 has 531kms range and power boost will only make the 0-100 down to 3.9 seconds from stock 4.4 seconds.

Do you know if yours is from China or US?

Wow those are some interesting numbers, my 23M3 has 531kms range and power boost will only make the 0-100 down to 3.9 seconds from stock 4.4 seconds.

Do you know if yours is from China or US?
US made buddy.

When I say 0-100 3.6 I mean 3.63 best recorded time, 95% soc, battery heated lol.
Usual is 3.71-3.75.

I didnā€™t realize LG made may be slower even in this version of M3?

My est range now after 2.5 yrs, 96k driven is 492/493km at 90% so 547km at 100%. (Not bad -3.7% degraded from new.)

And I have USS. So itā€™s alot to give up to move to a ā€˜newā€™ LG with 476km max range or 428km at 90%ā€¦.if one even gets this off the bat.

US made buddy.

When I say 0-100 3.6 I mean 3.63 best recorded time, 95% soc, battery heated lol.
Usual is 3.71-3.75.

I didnā€™t realize LG made may be slower even in this version of M3?

My est range now after 2.5 yrs, 96k driven is 492/493km at 90% so 547km at 100%. (Not bad -3.7% degraded from new.)

And I have USS. So itā€™s alot to give up to move to a ā€˜newā€™ LG with 476km max range or 428km at 90%ā€¦.if one even gets this off the bat.
Yeah adds little value in selling this for newer one

Reactions: M109Rider