Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 US model Y rwd battery type and size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could be. It’s true that there is no sense in them wasting extra-valuable Panasonic credit-eligible cells in a locked-out pack.

Still it is weird they did that at all, even last year - unless they had a surplus of such packs. Just seems wasteful and adds extra weight. Don’t really understand why they cannot just go to a different number of parallel cells - they have plenty of resolution (46 cells). Maybe too hard to manage the inventory somehow? Just strange. Must be a good reason though!

It seems to me that the 2023 MY RWD was a pretty low volume model, since it was only produced for a few months, and it was always a low proportion of the available MY inventory last quarter. If they weren't ready with the parts or process for the intended de-contenting (battery, non fog light fascia, non-premium audio, etc) but wanted to launch something to help with the Q4 numbers, it seems plausible that they built the 2023 MY RWD with the parts they had on hand given the short production run and low volume produced. (and getting rid of some undesireable battery packs while they were at it)

I can't see this happening indefinitely though. It will be interesting to see if the current 2024s are closer to or exactly what is advertised.

edit - I looked through some of the oldest listed 2024 MY RWDs on tesla-info.com, first listed on 1/19, and they are still in production. Seems like some significant change coming if there are still no 2024 RWD models shipped from the factory yet.

Last edited:
its been reported since the Spring of 2023 that Tesla uses BYD lfp battery for all 3 and Y RWD. Tesla even said it would probably lose the EV tax credit in 2024 due to stricter rules.

reported March 23, 2023 Tesla expects to lose full $7,500 tax credit on its cheapest electric car

"Tesla told employees that it expects to lose the full $7,500 federal tax credit on its cheapest electric car because the batteries come from China."

reported July 12,2023 Tesla says Model 3, Model Y tax credits likely to be reduced by 2024 | TechCrunch
"Tesla said the $7,500 federal tax credits for its Model 3 and Model Y electric vehicles are likely to be reduced after December 31, according to a change on the automaker’s website late Tuesday.
Tesla didn’t say why it expects to lose federal tax credits on its vehicles by the end of 2023, but it could be due to the government’s plan to enforce stricter rules on batteries next year.

The tax credit is broken down into two parts, each worth $3,750: a battery requirement and a critical minerals requirement. To be eligible for the battery requirement in 2023, 50% of the vehicle’s battery must be assembled or manufactured within North America. Next year, that percentage jumps to 60%.

To meet the critical minerals requirement in 2023, 40% of the critical minerals in a car’s battery must be extracted from or processed within the U.S., or from a country with whom the U.S. has a free trade agreement. By 2024, that percentage will be 50%. Additionally, in 2024, vehicles can’t source battery parts from a foreign country of concern (e.g., China), and in 2025, EVs can’t contain any critical minerals sourced from China or other countries of concern, if they want to keep their credits."

Last edited:
its been reported since the Spring of 2023 that Tesla uses BYD lfp battery for all 3 and Y RWD. Tesla even said it would probably lose the EV tax credit in 2024 due to stricter rules.

reported March 23, 2023 Tesla expects to lose full $7,500 tax credit on its cheapest electric car

"Tesla told employees that it expects to lose the full $7,500 federal tax credit on its cheapest electric car because the batteries come from China."

reported July 12,2023 Tesla says Model 3, Model Y tax credits likely to be reduced by 2024 | TechCrunch
"Tesla said the $7,500 federal tax credits for its Model 3 and Model Y electric vehicles are likely to be reduced after December 31, according to a change on the automaker’s website late Tuesday.
Tesla didn’t say why it expects to lose federal tax credits on its vehicles by the end of 2023, but it could be due to the government’s plan to enforce stricter rules on batteries next year.

The tax credit is broken down into two parts, each worth $3,750: a battery requirement and a critical minerals requirement. To be eligible for the battery requirement in 2023, 50% of the vehicle’s battery must be assembled or manufactured within North America. Next year, that percentage jumps to 60%.

To meet the critical minerals requirement in 2023, 40% of the critical minerals in a car’s battery must be extracted from or processed within the U.S., or from a country with whom the U.S. has a free trade agreement. By 2024, that percentage will be 50%. Additionally, in 2024, vehicles can’t source battery parts from a foreign country of concern (e.g., China), and in 2025, EVs can’t contain any critical minerals sourced from China or other countries of concern, if they want to keep their credits."
You seem to have not read this thread.

You seem to have not read this thread.
just point out the fact that Tesla stated 2023 Y's might lose the EV taxes due to BYD batteries.

we do know the Austin Texas factory has been making the 4680 batteries. looking at some of the RWD Y's in inventory, they are out of Houston, Dallas, League City (South of Houston), San Antonio, and Plano (Dallas area). they probably switched all Y's to the 4680 TX made batteries to comply with Fed requirements.

• Disagree
Reactions: E90alex and mborkow
just point out the fact that Tesla stated 2023 Y's might lose the EV taxes due to BYD batteries.
You seem to be confused on a number of fronts.

1) US Model 3 RWD batteries come from CATL, not BYD. US Model 3 LR batteries come from LG (made in China) since mid 2023.

2) To my knowledge Tesla never posted on their site that the Model Y was likely to be losing tax credits in 2024 - only the Model 3.

3) No Model Y RWD in the US used BYD LFP cells. It is definitely not an LFP pack and the most plausible explanation is that it was using the same Chinese-made NMC pack sourced from LG that the 3LR is.

they probably switched all Y's to the 4680 TX made batteries to comply with Fed requirements.
Not a snowball’s chance. 4680s are going to the Cybertruck in whatever volume they can produce them. There’s no way they’re switching over their highest volume model to those cells. Model Y has been using and almost certainly continues to use 2170 cells produced by Panasonic at Giga Nevada.

As for the 2024 Model Y RWD, nobody has managed to confirm anything yet but the smart money is on them using Panasonic 2170 cells just like every other model (either software locked or a reduced capacity pack with fewer cells).

You seem to be confused on a number of fronts.

1) US Model 3 RWD batteries come from CATL, not BYD. US Model 3 LR batteries come from LG (made in China) since mid 2023.

2) To my knowledge Tesla never posted on their site that the Model Y was likely to be losing tax credits in 2024 - only the Model 3.

3) No Model Y RWD in the US used BYD LFP cells. It is definitely not an LFP pack and the most plausible explanation is that it was using the same Chinese-made NMC pack sourced from LG that the 3LR is.
1 a technicality, still made in China which is part of the 2024 stricter EV tax eligibility. "Additionally, in 2024, vehicles can’t source battery parts from a foreign country of concern (e.g., China), and in 2025, EVs can’t contain any critical minerals sourced from China or other countries of concern, if they want to keep their credits."

2 i quoted and cited my sources. and we did see inventory Y RWD did not qualify for the EV tax credit for the first 2 weeks or so of Jan 2024. "Tesla said the $7,500 federal tax credits for its Model 3 and Model Y electric vehicles are likely to be reduced after December 31, according to a change on the automaker’s website late Tuesday." July 12,2023

3 my bad, that part of the report was referring to Berlin Y's.

2023 RWD MY qualified for Tax credit in 2023 but not in 2024 (Because of rule change). 2024 RWD MY qualifies for Tax credit in 2024 so certainly the battery must be different. Those with 2024 RWD MY should post their charging rate from Tesla SC to compare. That would give a definitive answer on the battery type.

Reactions: Skavatar
I would bet still soft locked. Yes they “waste” cells but the money they save in not having to deal with the production and logistics of separate part/SKU for what’s likely to be a lower volume trim level probably makes up for it. Not just on the assembly line, but also having the parts for many years of after sales support.

Or who knows, they could be using “reject” LR batteries that for some reason had a reduced capacity so they soft locked it even more and used it in a shorter range car. (There is nothing to substantiate this, just pure conjecture on my part)