Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 US model Y rwd battery type and size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you UCMNDD
Your Knowledge is greatly appreciated.
So is the 2170 form factor NCA cells from GIGA Nevada a LFP battery?
I am in the process of ordering the 2024 Y RWD and really worried because their are articles stating the range of 260 is a lot less in real world miles. Maybe you and other members can the good, bad, and ugly about the RWD v. LONG RANGE.

Thank you UCMNDD
I am in the process of ordering the 2024 Y RWD and really worried because there are articles stating the range of 260 is a lot less in real world miles. Maybe you and other members can the good, bad, and ugly about the RWD v. LONG RANGE.
I’ve had my 2023 RWD Y for about 462 miles and so far my lifetime average consumption is 239wH/mi. The 2023 has a usable battery pack of 69.6KwH (according to scans done by other forum members). That would work out to a range of 291 miles (69.6/0.239=291). Around town I drive slowly (25 mph speed limit that I don’t exceed by more than 10) and on the highway I set TACC to 70-75 mph (or about 5-10 over the posted limit, whichever is less). I’ve driven more highway miles than town but can’t give you an exact breakdown. Always with AC set 65-67 w liberal use of seat and steering wheel warmers (ambient temps have mostly been in the 50s and low 60s since I got the car with quite a few rainy days). So far, range seems better than advertised for me.

Last edited:
I’ve had my 2023 RWD Y for about 462 miles and so far my lifetime average consumption is 239wH/mi. The 2023 has a usable battery pack of 69.6KwH (according to scans done by other forum members). That would work out to a range of 291 miles (69.6/0.239=291). Around town I drive slowly (25 mph speed limit that I don’t exceed by more than 10) and on the highway I set TACC to 70-75 mph (or about 5-10 over the posted limit, whichever is less). I’ve driven more highway miles than town but can’t give you an exact breakdown. Always with AC set 65-67 w liberal use of seat and steering wheel warmers (ambient temps have mostly been in the 50s and low 60s since I got the car with quite a few rainy days). So far, range seems better than advertised for me.

Thanks for sharing.
What type of battery in in your 2023 RWD Y?
The reason i ask is because the 2024 Y RWD might have a different type battery to qualify for the $7,500 federal credit.
That’s correct; we don’t know for sure what’s in either. However, owners of 23s have scanned their battery packs and determined that the usable size is 69.6KwH (I believe the physical size was reported to be 78 but it’s software locked at the top). Until someone scans a 24 and reports their findings we won’t know what the pack, and its usable capacity, really is.

Thank you UCMNDD
I am in the process of ordering the 2024 Y RWD and really worried because their are articles stating the range of 260 is a lot less in real world miles. Maybe you and other members can the good, bad, and ugly about the RWD v. LONG RANGE.
How much range do you realistically need? The RWD has more than enough range to make it between most superchargers. And if you’re charging daily at home or with then range is of zero concern.

I see three logical possibilities for what’s in the 2024 RWD:
  1. Model Y LR pack
  2. Model 3 Performance pack
  3. A new, smaller, pack
It can’t be what was in the 2023s or what’s going in the 3s (other than the Performance) because those cars’ packs aren’t eligible for rebate. I’d guess it’s either 1 or 2 since that’s the least engineering and manufacturing effort (and so probably the cheapest solution).

1. Model Y LR pack
  3. A new, smaller, pack
It can’t be what was in the 2023s or what’s going in the 3s (other than the Performance) because those cars’ packs aren’t eligible for rebate. I’d guess it’s either 1 or 2 since that’s the least engineering and manufacturing effort (and so probably the cheapest solution).
I think, but could be wrong, that 1 and 2 are actually the same pack.

I think, but could be wrong, that 1 and 2 are actually the same pack.

1. Model Y LR pack
  3. A new, smaller, pack
According to a salesperson in the showroom it is Panasonic
  1. Model Y LR pack
  3. A new, smaller, pack
According to the salesperson in the Tesla showroom the Y RWD uses the panasonic 2170. Also their is only one model using LFP.

Sure, we already knew that. But is it a software locked LR pack, or a smaller pack sized for the Model Y RWD range?
Mike
That is a great question. According to the salesperson tesla does not do this anymore
TRANSLATION: Tesla feeds the sales staff
what they want them to know. It is guaranteed that if a natural disaster happens Tesla magically changes software
so you can exit the area.