Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Ys 10% off already

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can confirm. A few units I was monitoring are now "only" discounted $3k rather than the $5k over the previous few days. I'm fine with that because it allows me to wait longer until a potential update or deep discount comes along to entice me once again.

same here, been monitoring Y prices for the past few weeks. with all the great updates on the Highland, i'm most likely going to wait for the Juniper. unless Tesla gives more than a $5,000 inventory discount. or if my Kia dies, the engine has been making a loud rattle on start up.

Reactions: ord3r
same here, been monitoring Y prices for the past few weeks. with all the great updates on the Highland, i'm most likely going to wait for the Juniper. unless Tesla gives more than a $5,000 inventory discount. or if my Kia dies, the engine has been making a loud rattle on start up.
There has been no inventory on the Performance model; my order for one since late December has an EDD of 2/29-3/31.

I am surprised that Tesla has not used the EAP and FSD as levers for incentives. Doesn't cost them a thing and yet buyers would look at it as a huge discount (assuming they want one or the other). I had been looking at used but with the prices on new with the incentives being lower than most used vehicles I am probably going to buy new at the end of the 1st quarter. I would kind of like to get EAP but would not pay $6K for it. All they would have to do is offer that free and I am buying.

Reactions: Skavatar
This statement isn't based in reality.
How so? The development of the software cost money of course but it would be better to offer the software for "Free" than it would be to drop the price of a vehicle by a similar amount. Especially if they only offer EAP and expect a certain percentage to upgrade to FSD later. As long as they are going to continue to develop the software regardless in a bid to deliver on their promise to existing customers, offering EAP as a sales incentive is a reasonable premise.

Up until the last couple of days Tesla has had the inventory of 2024 vehicles at 10% off (Around $5000). Now it looks like the demos are at $5000 but the new vehicles are at aroung $3500. This not only reduces the cash they receive for their product but also degrades the brand as buyers are not as willing to purchase at full price and just wait for more discounts. It also forces more depreciation on used vehicles, especially for those that people did pay full price for. This is similar to the way that Legacy Automakers used rebates in the past. A little better because it was temporary so it did not affect depreciation as much, but it did put a "wait until the next rebate" mentality in car buyers. Of course some people had to buy at specific times but if you were just shopping for something different, most would wait for a better deal that they knew would come.

Last edited:
How so? The development of the software cost money of course but it would be better to offer the software for "Free" than it would be to drop the price of a vehicle by a similar amount. Especially if they only offer EAP and expect a certain percentage to upgrade to FSD later. As long as they are going to continue to develop the software regardless in a bid to deliver on their promise to existing customers, offering EAP as a sales incentive is a reasonable premise.

Up until the last couple of days Tesla has had the inventory of 2024 vehicles at 10% off (Around $5000). Now it looks like the demos are at $5000 but the new vehicles are at aroung $3500. This not only reduces the cash they receive for their product but also degrades the brand as buyers are not as willing to purchase at full price and just wait for more discounts. It also forces more depreciation on used vehicles, especially for those that people did pay full price for. This is similar to the way that Legacy Automakers used rebates in the past. A little better because it was temporary so it did not affect depreciation as much, but it did put a "wait until the next rebate" mentality in car buyers. Of course some people had to buy at specific times but if you were just shopping for something different, most would wait for a better deal that they new would come.
Because "the development of this software cost money, of course." so the reasoning was in your own question. I think you know the answer, though.

It's a deduction from the bottom line on a spreadsheet no matter how you label it. It's best to not discount something you claim to be the game changing future that we as a species need for our very survival. Yes, that's an exaggeration to make a point but to hear Elon talk about it sometimes I don't think that's far off from his perspective.

Once you start devaluing that it's a slippery slope to worthless.

but if they discount it, more people would buy it.

its not even FULL self driving. there are so many restrictions, you get locked out too easily for looking away for a few seconds, some people even report getting warnings even when they were looking straight ahead. what's the point of buying it except to be a guinea pig but you're still having to do pretty much the same thing as if you were driving(hands on the wheel, eyes forward all the time, etc).

Once you start devaluing that it's a slippery slope to worthless.

I think we agree for the most part. Question is, do they need more cash (profit) or to prop up the perception of a future software package that at this point in time is still BETA. I believe that once it becomes ready for Prime Time, any negativity that might come of using the current BETA software package as an incentive will be long forgotten.

It doesn't even have to be permanent. Kind of like SCO1 vs SC05, you could come up with a code for it that would delete the software on transfer of the vehicle. That way they could still sell the software to future owners once it is perfected.

What's the thinking with respect to a new 2023 (330 mile EPA range) vs 2024 (310 mile EPA range)? Is the discount on the 2023 worth it if I will keep the car about 4 or 5 years? I also think I would prefer the Midnight Silver Metallic Paint over the Stealth Grey.

What's the thinking with respect to a new 2023 (330 mile EPA range) vs 2024 (310 mile EPA range)? Is the discount on the 2023 worth it if I will keep the car about 4 or 5 years? I also think I would prefer the Midnight Silver Metallic Paint over the Stealth Grey.
Do any 2023s still exist in inventory?

Also, try looking for a 2024 in midnight silver as they did exist.

Reactions: S3XYologist
Up until 2 days ago the 2023 and 2024 model were selling for the exact same price. I would wait. I think they will have another price drop before end of quarter.
I want the FSD transfer. That's worth a lot to me. While it's tempting to wait, it's also possible I will lose out in some way. It's a gamble, and I think I'm done gambling! How much of a price drop? $1000? Maybe $2000 at the most?

Without a doubt a 2024 will be worth more than $1530 over a 2023 in 4 to 5 years, but probably less than $3000. Also all existing Ys will depreciate more after Juniper update, so if you are concerned about $1530, perhaps wait for Juniper.
I just ran the numbers on Edmunds and my 2019, with 100,000 miles is worth almost exactly $1,500 less than an identical 2020. I'm going to pocket the $1,530 now.