Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Ys 10% off already

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will be interesting to watch and see.

My presumption is that Tesla still sells the majority of their cars via the “custom order” interface and most casual observers aren’t aware that they can get the same exact car via inventory for less . So the inventory discount becomes a sort of “off menu” discount for people in the know or something that their sales staff can offer up to people sitting on the fence.

Depending on the date Tesla either goes out of their way to hide or prominently display the inventory page on their site… right now you’ve really got to to looking for it. Later in the quarter it will be right there on the front page.

I’m more interested to see what happens, if anything, to MSRP. That is a more telling sign of distress IMO.

Tesla is going to find out that auto industry is tough. Of course great brand and great car but there are only so many EV buyers.

They have some room for price drop but not a lot. I would expect minor drop on MSRP and lot more on inventory.

Juniper is only months away. IMO.

Reactions: Skavatar and kabin
Tesla is going to find out that auto industry is tough. Of course great brand and great car but there are only so many EV buyers.

They have some room for price drop but not a lot. I would expect minor drop on MSRP and lot more on inventory.

Juniper is only months away. IMO.
Yep. Apparently Chinese EV manufacturers frequently update models and so customers are taking note Tesla's design all to quickly becoming stale. Tesla will need to step up their game and it will cost more to be competitive. No more sitting back on stale designs or stripping features out. They gotta pay to play.

Last edited:
Reactions: acpd and Skavatar
“No more sitting back on stale designs or stripping features out.“

Indeed the biggest mistake of Tesla is not offering non-essential features (like sunroofs, electric roof shades, 14 way seats, Satellite Sirius, spare tires/runflats, Apple Carplay) and removing existing (like passenger lumbar, turn signal stalk, wiper stalk, USS, radar). Competitors are having some or all of these. Low price alone can only sell so many of a model otherwise the world would all be driving Civics. 10% discounts also lower resale values.

Last edited:

Indeed the biggest mistake of Tesla is not offering non-essential features (like sunroofs, electric roof shades, 14 way seats, Satellite Sirius, spare tires/runflats, Apple Carplay) and removing existing (like passenger lumbar, turn signal stalk, wiper stalk, USS, radar). Competitors are having some or all of these. Low price alone can only sell so many of a model otherwise the world would all be driving Civics. 10% discounts also lower resale values.
Other than opening your software stack to 3rd parties and/or paying a premium for things like Sirius & Android Auto/Apple Carplay I agree with this list. There's no reason that Tesla shouldn't offer the same features that only require internal R&D as the competition let alone push the envelope of innovation as they claim. It's hard to take a car company serious who claims to make the most innovative and safe cars in existence when they can't even make something as fundamental as auto wipers (that have been around for decades) work properly.

Reactions: OMGitzChaos
If 10% by day 28 of a new year, wonder what the discount in March will be to push end of quarter sales.
That is good. I took delivery of the model Y last Sunday in Charlotte, NC. 5100 off and 7500 tax credit taken off at POS. Lovin it for the most part. Some irritating things have come into play notably no data on the USB C Ports in the Center console. These are dumb ports for charging only when you have wireless charger right there! Only data port is in the glove box hooked up to the Dash Cam for clips and you have to use an adapter to use any extra usb for music etc. Just irritating.

Makes good sense…as disruptive entities such as Tesla enter a century-old automotive space to do as the incumbents do.

• Funny
Reactions: unk45
Makes good sense…as disruptive entities such as Tesla enter a century-old automotive space to do as the incumbents do.
Not everyone wants a stripped down vehicle suitable for rental self driving or Ubering. These will obviously sell to their market until it is saturated. There is a reason every other car maker offers options, even other disruptive ev makers.

I was out of the game for a while, but now that full self driving beta transfer is back, I’m back in. Just waiting for the confirmation that the program is actually happening, and I’m buying. Hoping these prices stay low, in addition to that FSD transfer.

I was out of the game for a while, but now that full self driving beta transfer is back, I’m back in. Just waiting for the confirmation that the program is actually happening, and I’m buying. Hoping these prices stay low, in addition to that FSD transfer.
If you're in a position to do so I would advise waiting until deeper into the quarter to see what other incentives come along.

Tesla understands that pricing is critical to increase volumes. They are doing many things to get their costs of production and distribution low, to increase World wide demand.

Trying to predict, in advance, what future pricing and configurations will be is super challenging. For some people the price will never be low enough. They always want an even better bargain...human nature.