Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Ys 10% off already

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So until it is determined, like I said, it is the same car in terms of features and performance other than the time it was built. There is no material difference that is accessible to the consumer at the moment. For example, I do not consider the use of a different material for the seats as a material difference to the consumer unless if it is publicized and highlighted by the manufacturer combined with the fact that the material carries a different feature than the outgoing material.
One is a 2023 and is not eligible for the tax credit.

One is a 2024 and is.

That makes them different cars with different worth and value propositions in the market. If they were truly the same you’d just buy the 2023 of course and we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

You can agree with that or not, but expecting Tesla to price these two cars the same just because you want them to is not likely to move the needle.

Last edited:
Reactions: mborkow
One is a 2023 and is not eligible for the tax credit.

One is a 2024 and is.

That makes them different cars with different worth and value propositions in the market. If they were truly the same you’d just buy the 2023 of course and we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

You can agree with that or not, but expecting Tesla to price these two cars the same just because you want them to is not likely to move the needle.
My discussion was based on the vehicle and not on the exterior variables (tax credit, build date, etc.) that are irrelevant to the features and performance of the vehicle. Let me ask you this question. Apart from the build date, tax credit eligibility, and battery (TBD material effect), do you agree that these two vehicles are the same?

To set the record straight, I've never stated that I want Tesla to price the 2024 car a specific way. I simply asked what is stopping them from doing so near the end of the quarter as their main focus is to get cars sold. If I wanted them to price the cars a certain way "just because I want them to", I would rather want them to price it at $0. ;)

To put it simply, it just doesn’t matter if they’re mechanically the same or cost the same to produce. They have fundamentally different values on the market, and they aren’t priced the same right now because they don’t have to be. Tesla prices cars based on what people will pay, not based on what it cost them to produce. Right now the 2024 is worth more to them.

To put it simply, it just doesn’t matter if they’re mechanically the same or cost the same to produce. They have fundamentally different values on the market, and they aren’t priced the same right now because they don’t have to be. Tesla prices cars based on what people will pay, not based on what it cost them to produce.
You didn't answer my question, but I think we're essentially in a disagreement in how we define whether 2 cars are considered the same or not. That's totally fine because we're entitled to our opinions.

I agree with your point of how Tesla prices their vehicles based on what people will pay, but that is only to a certain degree and typically when the prices are trending upwards. I'm fairly confident they take into consideration cost of goods and production when deriving discounts to cars (downward pressure)...

The fundamental question: there are two cars currently on offer that you claim are identical. Why not buy the cheaper one instead of insist the more expensive one is offered at the same price? They’re identical.
That is precisely the foundation of my original post. Why do they have different prices if they are identical? Again, I am calling out that they are identical in terms of features and performance. Your main argument is that they aren't identical. If those 2 vehicles are parked next to each other and a bystander asked you what are the differences between the two, are you literally going to say that one is eligible for incentives and the other isn't?

To answer your question, I wouldn't buy the vehicle offered at a lower price by Tesla because it comes out to be more expensive after you apply the tax credit. Like I said, you chose to differentiate a vehicle based on incentive eligibility. I do not subscribe to that which is why I posed the question in my original post.

To answer your question, I wouldn't buy the vehicle offered at a lower price by Tesla because it comes out to be more expensive after you apply the tax credit.
Winner winner. One car is worth more to you, and almost everyone else in the market, because it has 75 $100 bills on the hood.

Like I said, you chose to differentiate a vehicle based on incentive eligibility. I do not subscribe to that
But you do subscribe to that, by your own admission. One car is worth more to you, because mechanically identical or not, only one of them has 75 $100 bills on the hood. The only differentiator that matters is what the cars are worth on the market, and one is literally worth more than the other.

Tesla, being in the business of making money, has no obligation to subscribe to arbitrary pricing models that serve your personal desire to have your cake and eat it too. Given the cars have fundamentally different market values, dropping the price of the ‘24 to match the ‘23 only guarantees that they have to drop the price of the ‘23 further to sell it. That may happen if the cars aren’t moving at the rate Tesla needs/wants them to, but they’ll never be the same price because they don’t have the same worth.

Winner winner. One car is worth more to you, and almost everyone else in the market, because it has 75 $100 bills on the hood.

But you do subscribe to that, by your own admission. One car is worth more to you, because mechanically identical or not, only one of them has 75 $100 bills on the hood. The only differentiator that matters is what the cars are worth on the market, and one is literally worth more than the other.

Tesla, being in the business of making money, has no obligation to subscribe to arbitrary pricing models that serve your personal desire to have your cake and eat it too. Given the cars have fundamentally different market values, dropping the price of the ‘24 to match the ‘23 only guarantees that they have to drop the price of the ‘23 further to sell it. That may happen if the cars aren’t moving at the rate Tesla needs/wants them to, but they’ll never be the same price because they don’t have the same worth.
You have a habit of not answering my questions. But it sounds like you would indeed tell that bystander that the difference between the two cars is that one is eligible for incentives and it is worth more to one5n1neSDoo. Probably not what they are after in their question...

Your claim that Tesla isn't obligated to change the pricing to my desire makes it seem like I am self-centered and demanding a multi-billion $ corporation to listen to me. That is not the case and it is unfair of you to paint that picture of me.

Last edited:
You have a habit of not answering my questions. But it sounds like you would indeed tell that bystander that the difference between the two cars is that one is eligible for incentives
If someone asked me what the mechanical differences are between the two, I’d say “not much, maybe nothing of consequence.”

Of course that’s not the actual question being pondered here. If someone asked me why they are priced differently, I’d say “because this one comes with 75 $100 bills and that one doesn’t.”

I think most people instinctively understand that.

Your claim that Tesla isn't obligated to change the pricing to my desire makes it seem like I am self-centered and demanding a multi-billion corporation to listen to me.
I’m generally just saying that your expectation of how pricing works on the open market isn’t realistic. If you’re waiting for these two cars to be priced the same, you will be waiting forever because they are not worth the same.

Anyway. I think the point has been made and there’s no new ground to cover here. Good luck with your search. 👍🏻

You have a habit of not answering my questions. But it sounds like you would indeed tell that bystander that the difference between the two cars is that one is eligible for incentives and it is worth more to one5n1neSDoo. Probably not what they are after in their question...

Your claim that Tesla isn't obligated to change the pricing to my desire makes it seem like I am self-centered and demanding a multi-billion corporation to listen to me. That is not the case and it is unfair of you to paint that picture of me.
Maybe I am also wrong but for a while there I felt the universe we’re all in revolved around you.

If someone asked me what the mechanical differences are between the two, I’d say “not much, maybe nothing of consequence.”

Of course that’s not the actual question being pondered here. If someone asked me why they are priced differently, I’d say “because this one comes with 75 $100 bills and that one doesn’t.”

I think most people instinctively understand that.

I’m generally just saying that your expectation of how pricing works on the open market isn’t realistic. If you’re waiting for these two cars to be priced the same, you will be waiting forever because they are not worth the same.

Anyway. I think the point has been made and there’s no new ground to cover here. Good luck with your search. 👍🏻
Thanks for the discussion. Glad to hear your perspective on why you think Tesla is very unlikely to drop the 2024 prices anywhere close to the 2023s.

Reactions: ucmndd
Someone pointed out earlier that 2024 were cheaper during early January. I had few screenshot saved and seems like cars went up by about $1,500.

With that said, I would expect that to come back at some point where 2024 will be slightly cheaper. May not be same asbthat 2023 but should get close.

Also, Tesla will try to make every single penny they can make. Of course they are a public company. They are not around to help the planet, don't buy that BS.

Reactions: Skavatar
They had excellent choices and heavy markdown towards the end of Jan 2024. I got the color of my choice, interior for 10% off. The markdown was 5000 on a 50k car and on top of that I was able to get the 7500 off federal credit at point of sale! Those discounts basically disappeared within a week or so. I guess with Tesla you got to strike when its hot. You blink and you will miss it!
I wish I was looking at the end of January. I might have also decided to buy. I'm holding off for now to see if the 10% price reductions come back and/or other incentives appear.

For Model Y: “Shop Inventory” on Tesla website now, no option for ‘Custom Order’

what is this revealing?

other models still have the ‘Custom Order’ button option

-
Wow! I think Tesla has decided to make the inventory page much more prominent in order to push people to the inventory cars. Clearly, Tesla wants people to buy them. I wonder how long this lasts.

Wow! I think Tesla has decided to make the inventory page much more prominent in order to push people to the inventory cars. Clearly, Tesla wants people to buy them. I wonder how long this lasts.
They’ve done this multiple times before as the end of the quarter draws near. They hide the inventory page at the beginning of the quarter to maximize full price orders. They display it prominently to incentivize sales toward the end.

Reactions: acpd and Skavatar
I wish I was looking at the end of January. I might have also decided to buy. I'm holding off for now to see if the 10% price reductions come back and/or other incentives appear.
In addition to the games they play showing or hiding the inventory page on the website, people have also observed over several years now, that Tesla tends to slowly drop the inventory price on the listings over a span of several days, to see who bites, and then for the ones unsold, will bring them back up sharply to closer to list, and then repeat the cycle over and over. So we may just be in the part of the cycle where it's jumped back up, and just need to wait for them to start slowly dropping again.

And usually at the end of quarter, they will be dropping down to boost EoQ push, but the above pattern can cycle repeated during the rest of the quarter.