Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Fernando, CA - Celis Street (LIVE 15 May 2021, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I came across this article today about a new 12 stall supercharger. Can anyone find the permits?

San Fernando Plugging into EV Network

"The project will include 12 “supercharger” stations that can fully charge a Tesla in 40 minutes and two “Level 2” stations that take 6 to 8 hours to fully charge a vehicle.

The Tesla charging stations will be available 24-7 and will be in Lot No. 8 in the block bounded by Maclay Avenue, Celis Street, Pico Street and S. Brand Boulevard.

The City’s contract with Tesla is for five years with a renewal option for an additional five years, and City officials must approve Tesla’s charging station plans. Hou said the stations should be up and running by next year."

Downtown locations are good in theory as providing more interesting places to go while you charge. But, I wonder about traffic in any good location.

Still, it's another Supercharger on I-5.

(I was sad seeing a Rydell dealer on the map, because it reminded me that Chevrolet cancelled the Volt. Rydell in Northridge, CA was a well known Volt seller.)

Reactions: bobby g
I tried getting into the permit portal, but it doesn't appear that there's any searching capabilities available. When creating an account, it only seems to provide access to your own permits. The location of the proposed site is available in the caption of the image in the linked article, so I'm guessing @mociaf9 used that to determine the address (correct me if I'm wrong).

upload_2020-9-17_16-46-39.png

I or someone else could probably call the planning office to find out if there's any information available publicly.

• Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I tried getting into the permit portal, but it doesn't appear that there's any searching capabilities available. When creating an account, it only seems to provide access to your own permits. The location of the proposed site is available in the caption of the image in the linked article, so I'm guessing @mociaf9 used that to determine the address (correct me if I'm wrong).

View attachment 589323

I or someone else could probably call the planning office to find out if there's any information available publicly.
Yeah, I took the description from the linked article and found the appropriate lot on google maps. It gives a range of addresses for the lot, so I picked what I thought was about right based on the exact location of the chargers shown in the article's picture.

I also looked at the San Fernando permitting portal, but when I didn't see a clear statement that having an account would let you make general searches, I didn't bother to create one. Plus, I'm not sure that there would be anything to find yet. I don't think the project has quite made it to applying for a planning/zoning/use approval.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt and Chuq
The resolution to complete lease negotiations with Tesla was approved in the San Fernando City Council meeting on 2020-08-03. The agenda for that meeting (Item #7) included the proposed lease as well as a copy of the site plans for anyone who is interested in seeing such things: http://ci.san-fernando.ca.us/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/8-3-20-CC-Packet_R.pdf

Also, the city council meeting was recorded and is viewable on Youtube. The section discussing Tesla, including a presentation by some folks from the Tesla supercharger teams starts at 02:09:35 and ends with council unanimously approving the item at 02:39:55.

Last edited:
Downtown locations are good in theory as providing more interesting places to go while you charge. But, I wonder about traffic in any good location.
Downtown SF is hardly a busy area. No high-rises or major businesses. Looking at the satellite map, it seems all 1-2 story retail and small businesses. Should be pretty easy to get to. North SF valley is finally getting some love. This and Grenada only a couple of miles away. Very much needed.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
San Fernando Citizen’s Group Pursues Restraining Order on Tesla Charging Lot

The article mentions that construction began on December 28th. Though whether this was truly construction start or just issuing of permits/approvals, etc. isn't clear. Regardless, there may be a delay in progress on this station due to the lawsuit. My non-lawyer opinion, based solely on what was reported in the article, is that it doesn't sound like there's much real basis for the suit which is about city procedure. But expect a few months at least for it to get resolved.

San Fernando Citizen’s Group Pursues Restraining Order on Tesla Charging Lot

The article mentions that construction began on December 28th. Though whether this was truly construction start or just issuing of permits/approvals, etc. isn't clear. Regardless, there may be a delay in progress on this station due to the lawsuit. My non-lawyer opinion, based solely on what was reported in the article, is that it doesn't sound like there's much real basis for the suit which is about city procedure. But expect a few months at least for it to get resolved.
I couldn’t tell too much from the article what the lawsuit aims to resolve but it looks like they are throwing CEQA at it. CEQA is commonly used to stall or kill projects and is usually done by groups that on the surface, may not really have a merit based gripe against Tesla, the city, or any other entity involved here. Not saying it’s just a tactic or that the groups opposing and suing have baseless concerns but it’s definitely textbook “how to kill a California project” maneuvering.

I couldn’t tell too much from the article what the lawsuit aims to resolve but it looks like they are throwing CEQA at it. CEQA is commonly used to stall or kill projects and is usually done by groups that on the surface, may not really have a merit based gripe against Tesla, the city, or any other entity involved here. Not saying it’s just a tactic or that the groups opposing and suing have baseless concerns but it’s definitely textbook “how to kill a California project” maneuvering.

I've seen people try to throw CEQA at the construction of a new house, in an existing neighborhood with plenty of adjacent residences. It's ridiculous that people try to abuse our environmental laws for their own selfish desires.