Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21 inch turbine wheel crack survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2013 P85, cracked one (or was it two?) of the 21" wheels years ago on stock 245/35 size tires, had to argue with Tesla service just to get the replacement covered under warranty. I believe they labeled it "goodwill." After that we bought a set of Tesla OE 19" S wheels and never looked back. Never cracked a wheel before or since on any car.

I now also have a 2021 M3P with 20" wheels and similar rubberband tires, 235/35. The 18" wheels I ordered can't get here quick enough...

2013 P85, cracked one (or was it two?) of the 21" wheels years ago on stock 245/35 size tires, had to argue with Tesla service just to get the replacement covered under warranty. I believe they labeled it "goodwill."
Covered under warranty? There's a warranty coverage for cracked rims? I just took my 2020 in, and they charged me $1,300 bucks.

Covered under warranty? There's a warranty coverage for cracked rims? I just took my 2020 in, and they charged me $1,300 bucks.
I didn't know what their standard policy was, and I especially didn't care. I wasn't taking "no" for an answer. An OE wheel should not crack like that during the warranty period of a car.

To me it was either a manufacturing defect or a design defect. Either way, I expected them to cover it and made that very clear. In the case of these 21s I think 245/35 is simply too little sidewall for a cast wheel on a heavy car.

I didn't know what their standard policy was, and I especially didn't care. I wasn't taking "no" for an answer. An OE wheel should not crack like that during the warranty period of a car.

To me it was either a manufacturing defect or a design defect. Either way, I expected them to cover it and made that very clear. In the case of these 21s I suspect flawed design more than any manufacturing variance - I think 245/35 is simply too little sidewall for a cast wheel on a heavy car.
I'm not sure if I could pull off warranty coverage for cracked wheels again btw, and I certainly don't want to go through the stress or hassle. Hence why we downsized our S from the 21s to 19s, and why we're downsizing our 3 from 20s to 18s.

The downsizing also paid major dividends in better tire wear (comparing like-kind tires), cheaper tires, and of course ride quality.

Okay, so I have a question for everyone. I received the 21” Arachnids in 2018 as part of the referral program. I had them powered coated “Gun Metal Grey”. Sometime in 2019 while on autopilot I hit a K-Rail. The wheel had a bad road rash but no damage to the car. Tesla did nothing and I let it go.

Tesla purchased my car back two weeks ago for another issue, when I turned it in I put the 19” that came with the car. I was keeping the Arachnids for the new Model S. I was going to have them cleaned and power coated Satin Black. When my guy started to work on them he found two cracks on one wheel. Now not sure what to do, should I see if Tesla will replace, I got my new S on Saturday and have read the old Arachnids will fit but it is a different wheel size? So not even sure what I want to do. The 19” look pretty good, but it could be it’s just the new car feel.

To make matters worse I had just bought all new tires $1600 the week before Tesla agreed to buy back.

So 3 good Arachnids, 4 new tires and not sure if I want to fix and put on or try and sell everything and get different 21” or just keep the 19?

Thoughts

Attachments

• F86B1D0D-8DF4-424D-B2AB-0CECD734E744.jpeg
    F86B1D0D-8DF4-424D-B2AB-0CECD734E744.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 159
  • 6B04F5BD-49E1-4FA5-8659-30A806EF81F9.jpeg
    6B04F5BD-49E1-4FA5-8659-30A806EF81F9.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 104
Okay, so I have a question for everyone. I received the 21” Arachnids in 2018 as part of the referral program. I had them powered coated “Gun Metal Grey”. Sometime in 2019 while on autopilot I hit a K-Rail. The wheel had a bad road rash but no damage to the car. Tesla did nothing and I let it go.

Tesla purchased my car back two weeks ago for another issue, when I turned it in I put the 19” that came with the car. I was keeping the Arachnids for the new Model S. I was going to have them cleaned and power coated Satin Black. When my guy started to work on them he found two cracks on one wheel. Now not sure what to do, should I see if Tesla will replace, I got my new S on Saturday and have read the old Arachnids will fit but it is a different wheel size? So not even sure what I want to do. The 19” look pretty good, but it could be it’s just the new car feel.

To make matters worse I had just bought all new tires $1600 the week before Tesla agreed to buy back.

So 3 good Arachnids, 4 new tires and not sure if I want to fix and put on or try and sell everything and get different 21” or just keep the 19?

Thoughts
I'm not a wheel expert, but those cracks seem to be in a weird spot like a structural defect. If there's no impact spot on the rim (from hitting a pothole) I'd go ask Tesla to pay for them.

Just had a 21 inch turbine crack while away on a road trip. 70k miles, second wheel to go on 2015 85D - first was 2016. Now waiting for a new wheel to arrive at the local SC (taking 2 days plus weekend). Adding pain to the £1400 bill for the wheel, is the fact that the SC is refusing to refit the old tyre (“we are not allowed to”) which is pretty new, and insisting on selling me a new one for another £300.

It wasn’t covered under warranty, “goodwill” means just that, Tesla replaced it out of the goodness of their heart.
It also matters when this happened, pre model 3 Tesla was a lot easier to deal and receive goodwill service from.

Less than 1,000 miles. Cracked rear 21’’ Überturbine rim. Nothing in stock. Can't drive until I get a replacement. Does anyone have information on fixing? The repair shop requires $125 for testing - even if it is not repairable. Don't know where to get a replacement or timeframe for ordering from Tesla. Ugh.

I'm not sure if I could pull off warranty coverage for cracked wheels again btw, and I certainly don't want to go through the stress or hassle. Hence why we downsized our S from the 21s to 19s, and why we're downsizing our 3 from 20s to 18s.

The downsizing also paid major dividends in better tire wear (comparing like-kind tires), cheaper tires, and of course ride quality.
Question - how did you downsize? I assume you sold your 21’’ Überturbine Wheels? If so, where did you sell them? Did you trade? I'm thinking that this is the right direction for us as I really don't want to be dealing with the stress of the potential of future cracked rims.

To me it was either a manufacturing defect or a design defect. Either way, I expected them to cover it and made that very clear. In the case of these 21s I think 245/35 is simply too little sidewall for a cast wheel on a heavy car.
Hi, when did this happen? Wondering if they replaced the wheel years ago or was this a more recent event?

Just had a 21 inch turbine crack while away on a road trip. 70k miles, second wheel to go on 2015 85D - first was 2016. Now waiting for a new wheel to arrive at the local SC (taking 2 days plus weekend). Adding pain to the £1400 bill for the wheel, is the fact that the SC is refusing to refit the old tyre (“we are not allowed to”) which is pretty new, and insisting on selling me a new one for another £300.
Update on this - turns out it was £1450 including the new (Continental) tyre.

2013 P85+. right front rim cracked

crack was located on the inboard side from the edge of the rim towards the center about 2 to 3 inch crack

I took it to a person that repairs car rims he ground out the crack and refilled it welding and then ground it down smooth again and it worked perfectly charged me 40 bucks

Thankfully it was in an area that did not need to be painted on the rim it was a hassle going back-and-forth to the tire store to have them take the tire off then put the tire back on all in all it all worked out

update: Had my rim repaired and yes it's just fine now. Cost my $150; they drill a hole to stop the scrap propgating, then metal infill and grind it down and polish to flush then run pressure test and leak checks. I can vouce that the 21" Turbines with cracks can be repaired. Did this because esla was out of stock of rims.