Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'21 MYP How To Turn Off Regen Braking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recent experience.
Preheated car for 72 mile road trip with temps a bit below or near freezing & light sleet.
Model Y charged to 85%. About 23 mile into trip hit black ice with several cars (6-8) in the ditches left & right (I95) north to Maine.
Luckily had some experience with this condition in prior years. Did not brake, but did let up on the accelerator somewhat gradually (65) to diminishing speed. Was a bit hairy as you could feel the cars ABS & who knows what other systems working to keep car straight. I just kept my steering wheel locked, but ready to intervene if needed! Must say I had the knowledge of regenerative braking on a prior Model 3 under less speed & it was not as competent as current car. Thank you to Tesla engineering on this one.
Next exit for us creeping along & return to home base via back roads which interestingly were sanded or salted.
State DOT dropped the ball on this weather event.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
There was never an option to turn off regenerative braking. The setting was under Driving Settings, enabled changing the level of regenerative braking from Standard to Low. Newer Tesla vehicles do not have the ability to change the level of regenerative braking.
That sucks, i hate the feel of the regen breaking, gives myself and my passenger a headache with its sudden breaking feel.

That sucks, i hate the feel of the regen breaking, gives myself and my passenger a headache with its sudden breaking feel.
It is not unusual for new Tesla owners, myself included, to initially drive the Tesla vehicle as if it was a conventional vehicle and fully remove their foot from the accelerator pedal when they want to coast or get ready to brake. With practice you can learn to control the amount of regenerative braking that is applied by keeping your foot on the accelerator pedal and gradually reducing the force on the pedal.

Can anyone comment on actual experience with excessive regen on slippery roads? I haven't noticed any problems at all during this winter, and we had a substantial amount of snow up here in the Great White North. Mind you, I have conditioned myself to be more alert for the need to slow down, and avoid lifting off the accelerator too quickly...
There will be no problem with regen in winter. The regen is subject to traction and stability control systems, just like acceleration. If regen causes the wheels to block, it will reduce, just like abs would do when you brake. The wheels might lock for a fraction of a second and will adjust. If you were in a turn, stability control will make sure the car stays straight.
You would not jump on the brakes hard on snow and ice, so don't let go of the accelerator hard either as that's equivalent to hitting brakes.

I've had my MY for a year and a half so I'm half way through my 2nd MN winter with it. You absolutely can have problems with the regenerative braking causing sliding. It depends on how slippery it is as well as how warm or cold the battery is and the traction control & ABS systems help, but the fact that they are needed means the braking is enough to cause the car to slide.

The trick is to treat the accelerator like you do the brake. In icy weather, you slow down, anticipate stops and turns and brake early and slowly. For a Tesla, this means you let up on the throttle more gently, not unlike braking gently in a traditional car. The main problem with a Tesla is the amount of regenerative braking is not always the same, so you have to get a feel for it, but you have to get a feel for the road anyway.

Many people have expressed a desire for a 'snow mode' in Teslas that evens out the power distribution, limits the initial torque and reduces regenerative braking. Hopefully Tesla will listen!

Just got my Model3 P yep days ago. Absolutely love it, but I’d defo like to be able to reduce or remove the regeneration braking when not in track mode. In the first 70 miles or so of driving, I’ve barely had to use the brakes. That’s ok most of time, but it’s taking some of the fun out of twisty back roads for me.
@Newman8tor Since you have Track Mode use it for those wonderful back roads! Turn down regen as low as you like.

Personally I've been loving 100% regen in Track Mode for the twisties (which is stronger than regular mode regen). I like how it lets me maintain a fast pace while still minimizing brake pedal use. And the accelerator pedal map feels better with regen cranked up, it's too sensitive in normal Sport mode.

Back on topic, from what I've read the Model Y's Off-Road Mode sounds pretty good for snow driving. Supposedly it turns down regen, evens out the front/rear power distribution, makes the accelerator pedal less sensitive, and dials down the nannies...all good things for snow driving in my opinion. I've no experience with it as I don't have a Y, but I am hoping Tesla adds it to the 3 and S someday. (In the meantime I'll use Track Mode in the snow.)

Reactions: headhz
Have fun. You can turn on slip start if you fancy the back sliding a bit more :D
TBH I didn't notice much difference between using slip start and allowing the traction control to function. Only the side roads were still snow covered so I couldn't get going much faster than 25 mph and then remove my foot fully from the accelerator. I did feel like there was just a slight wiggle at the rear but then the TC would kick in. It certainly wasn't disconcerting in any way and I doubt I would have noticed it if I wasn't specifically looking for it. Overall, the car felt good in the snow on my stock 19" tires. If I lived in an area with frequent storms, I would definitely go for snow tires. I think with snows and maybe a 1 1/2 inch lift, this car would go through anything.

There will be no problem with regen in winter. The regen is subject to traction and stability control systems, just like acceleration. If regen causes the wheels to block, it will reduce, just like abs would do when you brake. The wheels might lock for a fraction of a second and will adjust. If you were in a turn, stability control will make sure the car stays straight.
You would not jump on the brakes hard on snow and ice, so don't let go of the accelerator hard either as that's equivalent to hitting brakes.
I think this is true. My car lost the balance once, maybe because it didn’t know it was on a slippery road. So it did lose its control, but I was/car was able to gain back control (scary moment).
Well, if you still want to not slip, you can put some acceleration - not enough to accelerate but enough to avoid regen and let the car roll. You will have to find the balance. And if you are driving for a long time, I guess you know that already.

Not super intuitive, but might help.

I'm a little concerned about not being able to disable it next winter. There are usually at least a few times a year I have to drive is a decent snow or ice storm. I thought maybe slip start would be helpful but I'm seeing that's really only for a temporary you're stuck situation.
Same. Had a rough time with it on Berthoud pass. Line of cars going 3-5 and when that hit hard it slipped more than I would like.

I have to be honest that I am most unimpressed with the fact that Tesla removed the ability to turn regen braking too low.

My wife drives my car very infrequently and because she doesn't drive it all the time having that setting was fairly important rather than giving her a headache all the time.

let alone that there are times when you have passengers in the car who are unfamiliar with heavy regen braking....

First, they haven't removed the setting from cars that had it before. If you had ut, you still do. It's only for new cars so you wouldn't have lost anything.
Second, there's nothing for passengers here. The driver is in control. Letting go of the accelerator is equivalent to medium braking. The driver needs to drive properly and passengers won't know the difference. Yes, there is minimal acclimatation required for the driver. It's not worse than when I take my wife's ICE car and initially struggle because it doesn't regen.

Reactions: DanDi58
I have to be honest that I am most unimpressed with the fact that Tesla removed the ability to turn regen braking too low.

My wife drives my car very infrequently and because she doesn't drive it all the time having that setting was fairly important rather than giving her a headache all the time.

let alone that there are times when you have passengers in the car who are unfamiliar with heavy regen braking....

I'm sorry I have to disagree with this.

When I did the test drive, I had a problem because I'm used to coasting to the light in an ICE vehicle, whereas obviously I had to drive the Y all the way to the light. When I bought the Y it took me about a day to no longer even notice the difference. Every now and again I drive the Prius and being used to the Y has not affected my ability to drive the ICE Prius any more than the gear shift being in a different place makes switching between the two confusing.

As for passengers in the car - if you're driving it properly, they shouldn't even know the vehicle has regenerative braking. It sounds like you're trying to drive the Y like an ICE and just coast to a stop. You can't do that: you have to just drive it all the way, but just drive it less and les until you're not really driving it at all

When I got the Y I was sad that they removed the regen selectability, but that feeling lasted a day, then I never noticed it again and now if I ever touch the brake pedal I consider it the result of poor planning

Hope you take this in the spirit it's meant and not as a personal attack

Reactions: sleepydoc
Learning how to replicate the coast-to-a-stop-sign/light like we've been doing for years in ICE vehicles does take a little practice, at least to do it well/smoothly. There's an artform to slowly raising your foot off the accelerator to replicate that gentle deceleration and coasting we are used to, but it can absolutely be done.