Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21" Wheels now on Performance Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My pre-order has switch to 21" but understand that configuring the performance at this time the only option is the 19". The AWD LR gives the option for 20". One would think the performance configuration is messed up at this point and we should see changes.

Yes. I decided to keep the no-cost performance package option with the 21" wheels. I figure it shouldn't be hard to find an LR owner willing to do a free-swap for 20s. But doing the same thing from 19" wheels will be harder. Plus I want the better brakes.

Yes. I decided to keep the no-cost performance package option with the 21" wheels. I figure it shouldn't be hard to find an LR owner willing to do a free-swap for 20s. But doing the same thing from 19" wheels will be harder. Plus I want the better brakes.
I was thinking the 21's for the summer and a set of 19's for a snow set. May need the extra range in colder weather and it could make spring feel even better.

I'm confused. I ordered the LR Performance, but I do not want the 21" wheels. But when I ordered the Performance, I expected to get everything listed here, but without the larger wheels. Will I now not get these things if I choose not to get the 21" wheels under this free upgrade? I'm paying the extra $8,000 for the performance model already. I don't need the top speed increase, but I do want the brakes, suspension, and pedals.

Performance Upgrade
Select Option

Optional
Includes:

• Increased top speed from 145mph to 155mph
  • 21’’ Überturbine Wheels
  • Performance Brakes
  • Lowered suspension
  • Aluminum alloy pedals

I'm confused. I ordered the LR Performance, but I do not want the 21" wheels. But when I ordered the Performance, I expected to get everything listed here, but without the larger wheels. Will I now not get these things if I choose not to get the 21" wheels under this free upgrade? I'm paying the extra $8,000 for the performance model already. I don't need the top speed increase, but I do want the brakes, suspension, and pedals.

Performance Upgrade
Select Option

Optional
Includes:

• Increased top speed from 145mph to 155mph
  • 21’’ Überturbine Wheels
  • Performance Brakes
  • Lowered suspension
  • Aluminum alloy pedals

Basically Performance is just the higher tuned duel motors. If you select the options it is an all or nothing proposition. Yes, it sucks for those of us who don’t want the 21” rims with summer tires but want the other stuff.

Reactions: Arctic_White
It does appear that the info is pointing to a 255/ tire which is wider than the model 3 and must be one of the non 75% items. We would assume the bolt pattern is the same? This would make the 21" tires on the Y have about the same wall height as a 19" on the model 3's. The post I linked on this forum (above) shows a Michelin 255/40ZR20 so the 45/19 also would make sense and the wheel assembly appears to be 1.5 to 2" larger in diameter than the 3's. This would also explain the introduction of the 21" rim.

Reactions: Joey_82
I read from another post that 21" is 245:

The 19's are 255/50 or 245/45 with Goodyear's Eagle Touring
The 20's are 255/40 or 245/45 with Goodyear's Eagle F1
The 21's are 245/45 with Pirelli P Zero's (ttothejizay has their own post on this)

The 20" black Induction wheels are on our "Long Range Performance" reservation .. curious how this will play out .. wifey likes the 20" black Induction wheels better than the 21" (but she's definitely getting a performance).

Do you still have the 20" Induction wheel on your MYP reservation? How did you do that?
My wife wanted the same wheels as well, but no way to change the configuration for Performance via the website.

Good to see a number of like minded folks here. For those of you like me in the camp of wanting the Performance Y, but with the black 20" Induction wheels, any information you can mine up and share here would be much appreciated! I am intentionally spending less and not getting what I want to avoid the cartoon-like 21" wheels, that we also have to assume come with summer rubber.

And I'm not complaining for the sake of it, I have a M3P+, where I gladly use two sets of wheels. It's a sports sedan with Track Mode. Model Y is a [slower, taller] compact SUV. I don't understand why the millions of us in cold weather states would want summer rubber on this vehicle. Or, as of right now, forego completely the other Performance upgrade features that are [not free and] already built into the price (suspension, pedals, possibly a spoiler if you trust the configuration rendering, etc.). And to top it off get the Gemini wheels that look like they belong on a Kia Soul.

Not to mention the color of the 21" looks like trash with my configuration. Blue exterior, white/black interior...throw on some aftermarket looking massive grey wheels [plus black trim, red calipers] and your Y looks like you ordered it from a spare parts bin or kids coloring book.
The 20" Induction wheels sync well and look excellent, and we have to assume are perfectly functional with all-season tires. Heck Tesla even seems to think so, as it's already out there driving around to taunt us:

https://electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2020/01/IMG_9973.jpg?quality=82&strip=all

This is not a production, range efficiency, or challenge otherwise. Tesla needs to make this happen. How do we help shove this down the tracks?

Good to see a number of like minded folks here. For those of you like me in the camp of wanting the Performance Y, but with the black 20" Induction wheels, any information you can mine up and share here would be much appreciated! I am intentionally spending less and not getting what I want to avoid the cartoon-like 21" wheels, that we also have to assume come with summer rubber.

And I'm not complaining for the sake of it, I have a M3P+, where I gladly use two sets of wheels. It's a sports sedan with Track Mode. Model Y is a [slower, taller] compact SUV. I don't understand why the millions of us in cold weather states would want summer rubber on this vehicle. Or, as of right now, forego completely the other Performance upgrade features that are [not free and] already built into the price (suspension, pedals, possibly a spoiler if you trust the configuration rendering, etc.). And to top it off get the Gemini wheels that look like they belong on a Kia Soul.

Not to mention the color of the 21" looks like trash with my configuration. Blue exterior, white/black interior...throw on some aftermarket looking massive grey wheels [plus black trim, red calipers] and your Y looks like you ordered it from a spare parts bin or kids coloring book.
The 20" Induction wheels sync well and look excellent, and we have to assume are perfectly functional with all-season tires. Heck Tesla even seems to think so, as it's already out there driving around to taunt us:

https://electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2020/01/IMG_9973.jpg?quality=82&strip=all

This is not a production, range efficiency, or challenge otherwise. Tesla needs to make this happen. How do we help shove this down the tracks?

I don’t mind the look of the 21” rims, but I would appreciate a all season tire option. If that can’t happen I agree offer the 20” induction wheels with all the other performance goodies.

Reactions: WattTheHeck
What I’m planning on doing is ordering the performance option and replacing the 21’ wheels with the model 3’s 20in grey turbines. Now that would look awesome!
That’s exactly the look I prefer. Hopefully at least Tesla will made the 20’ induction wheel available for Y performance when they start delivery. Otherwise we have to go aftermarket.