Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

24 hours left to confirm order: 2014 low mileage CPO 85/P85 vs brand new 60D w/ AP 2.0 hardware?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New 60D for sure. . . . Better build, AP2, warranty, facelift, brand new, customize.
For a budget, go AP and pano options only, nothing else is critical, skip pano if you don't love it. Standard stereo sounds really good, winter pkg isn't needed, premium interior pkg isn't crucial, upgraded charger isn't needed. 19 wheels, textile interior is great.

First generation Autopilot is as much of a game changer as electric drive or Superchargers, especially on a road trip.

eAP and a chance at self driving, plus all the recent updates?

Seems like an easy choice, unless you really want the RWD sports feel or the big Frunk.

Reactions: davidc18
I believe there are also undisclosed suspension/handling improvements in the newer cars. I have a 2016 70D on coils and recently rented a 2014 S85 also on coils. The two cars had markedly different handling - the older 85 felt floaty and not as "tight" - and it didn't have many miles on it either - maybe 20K.

The base sound system has improved in my opinion - it sounds in some ways better than the 2014 premium sound system.

Tesla seems to improve a lot of small things frequently that don't get publicized/documented.
They ball jointed the upper control arms, which make handling more direct, but there is a bigger difference in how the AWD cars don't nose up, as the rear of the RWD cars squats under power, in turns. The sad thing about the coil cars, is the roll center is so much higher because of how high they stand. There are shorter coil springs available, to fix that ($500, or so for RWD only). We now have PD lowered, and a new 75D at stock coil height. Come to think of it, I haven't measured the sways yet.

For OP, I don't think you are talking about two cars of the same price. 12.5 in rebates, ok, but you are 71k without any option beyond AWD. Some S85 CPOs are 60k. Some are below 50k. Actually, I think we're getting to the point where high 40's may be a common price for the older 85's. Warranty has some value, too, but I see some $$ spread in your choices.

I am in the same boat. I am looking to either place an order for a new 60D tomorrow. My price will come to about 82K - I want pano, AP, next gen seats, metallic paint. Taking into account 7.5K tax credit, price will be around 75K.

I can get a used 2014 - 2015 85 or 85D between 60 and 70K, which has AP1. So I save about 10 - 15K.

If I go the used route, I will be very tempted to sell it and buy the new one before federal tax credit runs out. Or if my reservation for 3 comes before that, I will go with that.

My only reservation for buying a new one right now is that the enhanced autopilot hasn't been tested. And even though the claim is that the hardware should support full autonomous driving, what if it doesn't and AP 3.0 is needed. So I can bridge with a used one right now and buy the new when Tesla has proven that AP2 works. Any thoughts on that?

I am in the same boat. I am looking to either place an order for a new 60D tomorrow. My price will come to about 82K - I want pano, AP, next gen seats, metallic paint. Taking into account 7.5K tax credit, price will be around 75K.

Keep in mind that there is a rumored $2000 price increase coming up for the 60D. Pano just increased $500 last night but you can get a solid glass roof for $1500..

I'm sure enhanced AP will be at least as good as AP1.0 by the time your car is delivered.

You're better off financially if you keep the car longer than 2 years, at which point self-driving might be a reality. If you plan on trading it earlier then it's a crapshoot which car will hold the value better. If you find a good deal on an 85D it might work out better for you.

If you decide not to get the 60D then you might want to hold off in case the inventory car discounts increase. They just went up a couple thousand yesterday.

Use the various EV trip planners to see if the range difference has any implication.

I put in all my frequent trips and the 90 has a big advantage in the routes I can take out of town.

The 60 is a great car, but it doesn't fit my use model. The 75 is more workable, the 90 is about perfect.

60 is actually a 75. So at some point I will upgrade to 75. I am in the Pacific Northwest, so don't think I will be having any long road trips until summer next year, by which time I may upgrade to 75. So that is a big plus for getting the 60 now.

Agree 90 would be awesome, but out of my budget.

Yeah, I know. I can give myself reasons to go in either direction and keep contradicting myself :)

And just to post an update on the thread I started... placed an order for 60D, and a week later on the last day of changes, I made it a 90D.

I'll keep this car for a long time, and the price difference was worth it for the longer range. Fewer charging stops, more flexibility with detours during road trips. Very happy with the decision.

Went with Silver, although I was tempted by the Midnight Silver. I would have loved the old grey metallic, which is right in between those two. I would have loved Titanium as well.

Congratulations Jimmy!

I have an extended test drive schedule tomorrow where I will have the car for about 6 hours and will drive it for about 100 miles. That will give me good idea of AP1. Even though I am 90% sure that I will order the new 60D with AP2, the advisor wanted me to be sure and offered I do this before I place the order.

Reactions: steveho and Ormond