Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

275/40R19 Michelin PSAS4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Madsen203

May 26, MYLR, White ext, Black int, Tow, 19”
Jun 1, 2021
Bay Area
The OE size Michelins look very narrow and stretched onto the wheel. Was wondering if anyone has installed this size on their OE 19” wheels. Keeps same diameter but tread pattern is a bit wider and will cover the edge of the rim.

Looking for better grip, aesthetics, and rim protection. Need ability to handle light snow so the pilot sport 4s are out, unfortunately. Had I planned to not hand care over to wife, I’d get those tires instead and forego any trips involving snow.

45 is an aspect ratio. 45% of width is sidewall height.
Yes we know. When talking about a tire and someone asks the profile you would say 35/40/45 which ever the profile you were running like on my P I have 35 profile tires. Or like some people on there performance Ys they swap to a 40 profile fire aka a 265/40/21 ok the stock Ubers.

Cause from factory on 19s Tesla uses 45 profile. On 20s they use 40 and 21s they use 35.
However the stock tires are overly stretched so technically the right width tire and same aspect ratio will net a LARGER rolling circumference. And it also doesn't really matter all too much since the drivetrain is not coupled and MYP run difference circumference tires from the staggered setup.

Why 45, not 40? 40 is closer to the stock diameter. Although both are within 3%.
There are more sport oriented tires available in 40 series.

Also, 40 keeps the same diameter of wheel at 28”.

I don’t want the tires to look fat like drag / funny car tires. I want them to stick over the rim ever so slightly and give the correct contact patch based on the 9.5” rim.

Reactions: MODEL+ and MattM24
275/40/19 is what I'd recommend also.

Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 10.08.11 AM.png

You can run 275/45/19 without adverse effects. However, a client of ours mentioned it was a bit too "bubbly" for his taste, as shown below.

1.jpeg
2.jpeg

-Danny

Reactions: necroregion
Yes, 275/40-19 is the way to go. No reason to keep the stock 45 profile, the diameter will be much too large.

FWIW, the stock 255/45-19 tires are basically the exact width of the wheel. The Tesla-specific T0/T1/T2 tires come "pre-stretched," if that's a thing. If you buy a set of 21" Michelins for the Uberturbines, they are actually molded to look stretched, but they're not actually stretched when mounting.