Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

285,000 Tesla's have FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It could be interpreted as 285k cars total with FSD purchased, not the whole 285 k FSD cars that have received FSD beta.

I still can't figure out where the number of 1 million cars that will get FSD beta by the end of this year:

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I still can't figure out where the number of 1 million cars that will get FSD beta by the end of this year
Elon Musk said he expected FSD Beta to expand from 100,000 to the order of magnitude of 1 million on E69 All-In Podcast. You take the log base 10 of a number to get the order, so 100k is order 5 while 1M is order 6. So Tesla "only" reached 285k which is order 5.45. If FSD Beta's population was 10% more to reach 316,228, one could say the order of magnitude is closer to 1M than that of 100k.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Elon Musk said he expected FSD Beta to expand from 100,000 to the order of magnitude of 1 million on E69 All-In Podcast. You take the log base 10 of a number to get the order, so 100k is order 5 while 1M is order 6. So Tesla "only" reached 285k which is order 5.45. If FSD Beta's population was 10% more to reach 316,228, one could say the order of magnitude is closer to 1M than that of 100k.
Thank you for explaining, but I am still as confused as ever. Thus, with this explanation, what will it take to get to the 1 million FSD beta? Should Tesla increase the price to $100,000 to prove the point, and then perhaps it's faster to get to the 1 million FSD beta mark?

Did the 285k include subscriptions too? Wasn’t clear from the quote or the Electrek article about it: Tesla confirms 285,000 people bought Full Self-Driving
I interpreted Musk's comment as that there were 285,000 cars running FSDb. That includes those who purchased and subscribed who have requested and received FSDb. There are likely many more cars running FSD that have not yet requested and received FSDb.

Why do people keep saying "Musk's" tweet? Is he the only one who's allowed to post on Tesla Twitter?

"- Enabled anyone in North America who has purchased FSD to request FSD Beta, reaching 285k cars total"

"- Enabled anyone in North America who has purchased FSD, to request FSD Beta, reaching 285k cars total"

I put a comma in there, for them. So anyone who purchased it, can request it?....YAY!!!!! Milestone achieved!!! Tesla is the BEST!

I requested it 6 years ago when I bought the car, so that statement is terribly misleading.

Did the 285k include subscriptions too? Wasn’t clear from the quote or the Electrek article about it: Tesla confirms 285,000 people bought Full Self-Driving
I understand that 285k bought FSD and all 285k got FSD including MCU1 owners.

Of all 285k got FSD including MCU1 owners, the statement doesn't confirm that they all got FSD beta even when they asked for it.

It's true that "purchase" is mentioned and not "subscription". However, can you purchase a subscription too, can't you? In that case it means "paid" for FSD either in whole or in rents.

Last edited:
I'm confused....so you're saying MCU1 got FSD too?
Correct. There is no confusion. As clear as crystal!

If you paid FSD, you got FSD, even with older original hardware 2.0.

Remember FSD is not the same as FSD beta.

Remember, FSD is just an expensive EAP with limited features like the fancy summon, auto lane change (that even exists in 1 camera system AP1)... and no city streets (it cannot automatically turn at city intersections...)

FSD only requires payment to get it.

FSD beta requires multiple things:

1) Paid for it either upfront or rent
2) Additional payment for MCU2 or higher if you only have MCU1
3) HW3 computer
4) 2.5 Cameras or above
5) You must click the request button.

If you are missing 1 of those 5 things, you won't get it until Tesla revises its current practice (like starting to pay all beta testers and refund your FSD purchase/rent.)

Last edited:
what will it take to get to the 1 million FSD beta?
If you're referring to by the end of this year, Troy Teslike estimates North America FSD Capability purchases in 2022 Q3 to be around 350k, which if you take log base 10 gets you 5.54. The "hundred thousands" order of magnitude goes from 31,623 to 316,227 while "millions" 316,228 to 3,162,277.

So if those estimates are accurate, there is a potential audience of FSD Capability purchases in North America to reach the predicted order of magnitude. There are still several steps/requirements in actually completing the funnel for FSD Beta on a vehicle, and each takes away some percentage of users resulting in the 285k number from yesterday. I've wondered why Tesla hasn't "just" pushed the current FSD Beta 10.69.25.1 / 2022.44.30.5 to all vehicles with compatible hardware, as it would probably make people more tempted to purchase or subscribe to FSD Capability.

If you actually mean 1 million even though that's not what Elon Musk clarified, the global estimates for FSD Capability purchases extrapolating to today probably don't even reach 500k. Expanding FSD Beta to Europe increases the FSD Beta eligible audience by about 30%, which would be around 375k from Tesla's reported 285k for North America.

Why do people keep saying "Musk's" tweet? Is he the only one who's allowed to post on Tesla Twitter?

"- Enabled anyone in North America who has purchased FSD to request FSD Beta, reaching 285k cars total"

"- Enabled anyone in North America who has purchased FSD, to request FSD Beta, reaching 285k cars total"

I put a comma in there, for them. So anyone who purchased it, can request it?....YAY!!!!! Milestone achieved!!! Tesla is the BEST!

I requested it 6 years ago when I bought the car, so that statement is terribly misleading.
Congrats. You are in a rare club. Be proud, feel proud.

😎

Correct. There is no confusion. As clear as crystal!

If you paid FSD, you got FSD, even with older original hardware 2.0.

Remember FSD is not the same as FSD beta.

Remember, FSD is just an expensive EAP with limited features like the fancy summon, auto lane change (that even exists in 1 camera system AP1)... and no city streets (it cannot automatically turn at city intersections...)

FSD only requires payment to get it.

FSD beta requires multiple things:

1) Paid for it either upfront or rent
2) Additional payment for MCU2 or higher if you only have MCU1
3) HW3 computer
4) 2.5 Cameras or above
5) You must click the request button.

If you are missing 1 of those 5 things, you won't get it until Tesla revises its current practice (like starting to pay all beta testers and refund your FSD purchase/rent.)
Did you break your back stretching that far? Lol