Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$2K Autopilot Upgrade Option – worth it? Mid-Range M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first post! Hope I do this right. Thanks in advance for whatever wisdom is about to come my way!

I have a 2018 mid-range M3. I'm considering the current promotion (deadline July 1) from Tesla to get autopilot for $2K. I've done the trial of that in the past and thought it cool, but I never bought it to save the money and more simply because I love hands-on driving my M3. I have zero intentions to upgrade someday to FSD. These days, my commute is gone. Probably won't come back regularly until 2021. So on the one hand, it feels silly to buy this, even with the $1K discount. On the other hand, I wonder how much NOT having autopilot will hurt resale value years from now when I'm ready to upgrade to a newer M3. If I'm ever going to do this, it seems like the hour is nigh.

Any reactions, particularly from the resale value angle? Anybody out there already make this upgrade and have thoughts?

Will the functionality of autopilot expand / improve with future updates? Or will all that be reserved for FSD club members?

@Kenobi don't be a sap, of course you should get it now. And welcome to this Forum. A Tesla without FSD is a house without a front door. A Tesla without even basic AP is a museum piece.

It would be out of character for any Tesla smarts not to improve. And as @Misterbee says, it's all game changer tech.

If resale is the concern, just ask yourself: who will even want to buy a strippy bottom of the barrel manual-only Tesla in a few years when even tractors and baby carriages will have basic AP? And when all the last manly "I'm the driver" types are walking with a cane, and need a self-driving car to take them safely to pick up their hearing aid batteries and medication refills ;-)

Last edited:
Although I agree with the replies above, as devil's advocate I will say skip it.
This is another money grab tactic for end of quarter push.

What Tesla packages in today's AP is a stripped down version of the old EAP from the time you purchased your 3.
Nothing useful about current AP.
You will also not get the upgrade to hardware v3 with this $2K purchase.
And without FSD, none of the additional visualization or stop sign, stop light functionality.

I applaud you for skipping FSD.
All boils down to your use of the car vs features offered.

Don't worry about resale value, a. whoever picks up your 3 in a few years will either also dont care or b. moan about much more than just lack of AP (why no 500+ mile range, why no hardware v4, LIDAR, IR/UV photovolteic roof, etc). Drive it into the ground or donate for a tax break at that point.

• Funny
Reactions: azred
I'm having the very same debate right now ... My commute (when I can go to work) is only 12 minutes and all back roads so I would never use these features in my day to day driving. But TACC would be great for random road trips. I'm not sure that's worth 2k, but I don't want to have to pay more later if I do want it then.

Unless the $2K is a stretch for you financially, I say get it. While there is no way to know for sure, I feel that it will help your resale and give you a feature that is good for both safety and convenience.

I say that 90-95% of my 15,000 miles have been driven on AP. BUT, I still have my commute.

Its 2 grand to change your cruise control to adaptive cruise (or TACC as Tesla calls it) and add autosteer. Only you can answer if it is worth it to you. As for resale, there is just as good of a chance that someone doesn’t want adaptive cruise and is seeking just plain cruise control. Don’t buy it for resale, buy it if you find the value proposition good for your use.

Unless you are upgrading to a newer M3 in less than a few years, I would take it. It's such a stress relief for me using autopilot, I don't really feel stressed out driving anymore, even in LA traffic.

I am too scared to try AP. I have experienced phantom braking and I am more concerned about giving the car behind me a brake check than anything.

I have experienced phantom braking too, probably averaging once every 2 months. But usually phantom braking isn't extreme, it doesn't go from 60-0mph rapidly. Most of the time, it just slows the car a bit, no more than 20mph slower in my experiences.

Reactions: Fernand and xcat
Some way overblown terrors. The Good Lord gave us foot and hand to put right what we object to. And you're supposed to maintain full control at all times. I've done more "Phantom Braking" on my own, i.e. slowing down when something uncertain develops up ahead, than the car has done over the last year.

Have y'all considered the possibility of the wheels coming loose? Or the battery pack exploding? Some people should stick to the familiar. Like sitting on 20 gallons of highly volatile combustible petroleum distillates. Or careening down the road without the protection of auto-steer whenever your attention wanders.

As for driving on classic 2 lane back roads, that's exactly where non-FSD basic AP shines. I think you'll quickly realize it's of great value, here and now.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. However, I think I will hold off and see what happens when they roll out the subscription model for FSD. Worst case, I won't get autopilot until I trade my car in for a new Tesla in a few years. Best case, competition forces Tesla to reoffer it at a lower price or I pay the subscription price for when I need it for a long road trip.

Reactions: SlimJim