Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$2k boost upgraded Model 3 does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, when folks say the P- is the best bang for the buck, I say yes if you are satisfied with the standard brakes and tires. Otherwise, you are going to be at P+ money very quickly once you factor in upgraded parts and labor.

This could be a contentious topic :) I did upgrade my brakes to MPP front and back and since I had the OEM 19's I stuck with them.. lighter rims and track tires are tempting but I was able to take the car to Laguna Seca and have a pretty decent time on those 'compromise tires' which I will say were not bad for street tires.

Hazarding a guess most enjoy the umph and don't need the extra bits but you can do very well for not too much with some care and thought.

So, when folks say the P- is the best bang for the buck, I say yes if you are satisfied with the standard brakes and tires. Otherwise, you are going to be at P+ money very quickly once you factor in upgraded parts and labor.

Yes, but you'll end up with a better car for similar money.

Lighter wheels, better brakes, etc.... plus you get to put that $ where you think it'll help the most depending on your specific application rather than just getting the setup Tesla picked (boat anchor 20s, 0.39" drop with meh sway bars, and good-not-great track brakes)

In other words, more bang, even if it's for the same buck.

Lighter wheels, better brakes, etc.... plus you get to put that $ where you think it'll help the most depending on your specific application rather than just getting the setup Tesla picked (boat anchor 20s, 0.39" drop with meh sway bars, and good-not-great track brakes)

True, I think it all depends on whether the owner wants to mod on their own or not. While the factory P+ performance package may not offer the best hardware available, it does offer a nice improvement in braking and lateral grip off the lot with full warranty coverage on all the parts. The Tesla aftermarket is improving but still seems a bit limited at this time. Furthermore, I am sure there are many owners that may not be interested in having to locate and work with a performance shop in their area and it will probably be tough to find one that has experience working on Tesla vehicles.

Reactions: Jenremoved
True, I think it all depends on whether the owner wants to mod on their own or not. While the factory P+ performance package may not offer the best hardware available, it does offer a nice improvement in braking and lateral grip off the lot with full warranty coverage on all the parts. The Tesla aftermarket is improving but still seems a bit limited at this time. Furthermore, I am sure there are many owners that may not be interested in having to locate and work with a performance shop in their area and it will probably be tough to find one that has experience working on Tesla vehicles.
It's a silly argument because many manufacturers have the same situation where the factory performance parts aren't as good as aftermarket. Most luxury buyers just want stock parts and wouldn't care about upgrading aftermarket. In so-cal the PUP package is perfect. No inclement weather and near perfect roads make it a pleasure to own.

It's a silly argument because many manufacturers have the same situation where the factory performance parts aren't as good as aftermarket. Most luxury buyers just want stock parts and wouldn't care about upgrading aftermarket. In so-cal the PUP package is perfect. No inclement weather and near perfect roads make it a pleasure to own.

Same here. I have modified a lot of cars in the past but I just wanted the factory package this time around. The 3P+ is perfect here in Florida as well. The factory packages on a lot of sports cars are pretty good and have already been designed and tested to work well together. On my Corvette Grand Sport you get the big rotors with Brembo brakes, performance dual mode exhaust, big sticky tires and wheels, spoiler options, electronic differentials, etc. You can buy a base Corvette and upgrade parts but you will spend more and likely take a hit on resale value when it comes time to sell.

Same here. I have modified a lot of cars in the past but I just wanted the factory package this time around. The 3P+ is perfect here in Florida as well. The factory packages on a lot of sports cars are pretty good and have already been designed and tested to work well together. On my Corvette Grand Sport you get the big rotors with Brembo brakes, performance dual mode exhaust, big sticky tires and wheels, spoiler options, electronic differentials, etc. You can buy a base Corvette and upgrade parts but you will spend more and likely take a hit on resale value when it comes time to sell.

This point can sometimes be missed. After market upgrades generally net zero increased value on the used market (and will sometimes decrease the value) whereas a used, fully stock M3P+ can be expected to sell for more used than the alternatives. Selling a modified car is almost always more of a hassle compared to selling the equivalent stock car.

Reactions: BlueCarNut
This point can sometimes be missed. After market upgrades generally net zero increased value on the used market (and will sometimes decrease the value) whereas a used, fully stock M3P+ can be expected to sell for more used than the alternatives. Selling a modified car is almost always more of a hassle compared to selling the equivalent stock car.

Yep, I have learned that over the years. I also find it hard to invest in aftermarket parts on a car like this when you know the EV market is just getting started. 0-60 times are kind of moot at this point with EVs moving forward. For me, it will be more about styling, weight, improved handling, etc.

True enough, saved my OEM rotors etc such that if/when I sell my 3 it will be back to stock. Not expecting that anytime soon luckily

Reactions: Jenremoved and GSP
This could be a contentious topic :) I did upgrade my brakes to MPP front and back and since I had the OEM 19's I stuck with them.. lighter rims and track tires are tempting but I was able to take the car to Laguna Seca and have a pretty decent time on those 'compromise tires' which I will say were not bad for street tires.

Hazarding a guess most enjoy the umph and don't need the extra bits but you can do very well for not too much with some care and thought.

The OEM 19" Continental tires are better than the Primacy tires but I think you will be amazed if you slap some real on performance tires. Tires make a huge difference on track and will enable your upgraded brake hardware to work for you. You will be able to brake later and the improved lateral grip will help you in the turns.

But not on warranty, to be fair.

Doing it over again I might have opted for a stealthy myself and done exactly that.

The OEM 19" Continental tires are better than the Primacy tires but I think you will be amazed if you slap some real on performance tires. Tires make a huge difference on track and will enable your upgraded brake hardware to work for you. You will be able to brake later and the improved lateral grip will help you in the turns.

No argument there, used to race an SCCA VW (much light and much slower :D )

I had promised myself I wouldn't take my 3 on the track but temptation got the best of me but I don't plan to make a habit of it so OK with the compromises (Keep telling myself that!)

Reactions: raptor5244
Just thought I'd post this great analysis video by Mark Meyers of before and after times for the AWD non-boosted and boosted.

A boosted AWD at 20% SoC still does 0-60 in 3.76s with 1' rollout in his results, where as my best time non-boosted (fw 2019.35.2.1) with 95% was 3.86s with 1' rollout so Boosted is only about a tenth quicker to 60 with a 75% lower SoC. Goes to show how much difference SoC can make.

• Informative
Reactions: TyH2009