Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$2k FSD Upgrade for EAP Owners Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't understand the logic behind being able to buy AP + FSD for only $5k. Unless that only applies to recent deliveries in order to prevent returns and doesn't apply for 2018 people who didn't buy EAP.

AP for $2k? makes perfect sense. that wasn't available when people bought the car and is close to the cost if you were to buy it now. Fine with that. Plus people lost money on the price drop, so this helps with that.

FSD for $2k if you have EAP? As someone who paid $3k for it that's annoying. But Elon claims I'll maybe get a refund. or at least early access to software updates. and that's <only> $1k. So while I am annoyed by it, eh whatever. Chalk it up to me being too believing of Tesla and it won't happen again.

But AP + FSD for $5k? So because someone in 2018 didn't pay anything at all they get what I have for $3k less? Or people on 2019 who paid less for the car than I did now get that as well? That worries me greatly. Is tesla that desperate for cash that they are willing to alienate everyone who already bought EAP and those who bought both like me in order to try and get an extra $3k from people who never bought before? Why not just make it $2k for AP and $5k for FSD if you didn't have EAP.
I don't understand why at all either.
The only thing I can come up with is they are desperate. If that's the case, I'd be more worried than I ever have in the last few years as a stock holder! I can't believe I need to worry. Demand seems like it's crazy. At $35K, it seems like Tesla will be selling these cars as fast as they can crank them out....I just can't explain why Tesla felt compelled to give BOTH AP & FSD to previous owner for $5K.

The only thing I can come up with is they are desperate. If that's the case, I'd be more worried than I ever have in the last few years as a stock holder! I can't believe I need to worry. Demand seems like it's crazy. At $35K, it seems like Tesla will be selling these cars as fast as they can crank them out....I just can't explain why Tesla felt compelled to give BOTH AP & FSD to previous owner for $5K.

Yea, even then that doesn't make sense. I saw some estimates that the take rate of EAP was around 70-80%. The amount of people who will be willing to put down 5k for this can't be more than 20k to 30k, at the absolute utmost. Losing out on 3k from those people would be at worst 1M, likely a lot less. Tesla cash flow is far larger than that.

I still don't understand the logic behind being able to buy AP + FSD for only $5k. Unless that only applies to recent deliveries in order to prevent returns and doesn't apply for 2018 people who didn't buy EAP.

AP for $2k? makes perfect sense. that wasn't available when people bought the car and is close to the cost if you were to buy it now. Fine with that. Plus people lost money on the price drop, so this helps with that.

FSD for $2k if you have EAP? As someone who paid $3k for it that's annoying. But Elon claims I'll maybe get a refund. or at least early access to software updates. and that's <only> $1k. So while I am annoyed by it, eh whatever. Chalk it up to me being too believing of Tesla and it won't happen again.

But AP + FSD for $5k? So because someone in 2018 didn't pay anything at all they get what I have for $3k less? Or people on 2019 who paid less for the car than I did now get that as well? That worries me greatly. Is tesla that desperate for cash that they are willing to alienate everyone who already bought EAP and those who bought both like me in order to try and get an extra $3k from people who never bought before? Why not just make it $2k for AP and $5k for FSD if you didn't have EAP.
Maybe, they "know" it will be free for buyers in 2020, so maybe they want to collect as much as possible. wink wink

According to what confirmed source? Other than clueless Tesla reps, has the company or Elon ever said this officially?

Online customer service indicated to me yesterday that 2019 buyers with EAP will be upgraded to FSD for free. Only time will tell...

4E4CA799-5C12-4FBE-97FF-866404D0980B.png

• Helpful
Reactions: SD_Engnr

I doubt demand is actually that crazy. If it was they wouldn't have needed to drop prices across the board, lay off people and shut down stores. The enthusiast fans who reserved have their cars or have mostly ordered by now. It's tough to consistently sell premium priced sedans at high volumes. All these erratic changes last week are troublesome and not the way I expected the release of the 35k model to go.

I bought 5k EAP when I purchased... I planned on having to pay 4K later for FSD... Now I'm getting a 2K discount... I understand how some are mad just because those who didn't invest up front for EAP are getting a better deal. Personally though I'm just excited I can get FSD for cheaper than expected and some of those features will be coming this year.
I suspect Tesla expects everyone to think about it like you do!

I bought 5k EAP when I purchased... I planned on having to pay 4K later for FSD... Now I'm getting a 2K discount... I understand how some are mad just because those who didn't invest up front for EAP are getting a better deal. Personally though I'm just excited I can get FSD for cheaper than expected and some of those features will be coming this year.

I just hope you still analyze everything just because you are getting a "$2K" discount; because, the only features you are really getting for the additional $2K you are spending are 1) NoA in the city, 2) traffic light and stop sign recognition (which should inherently be included as part of NOA in the city), and 3) Auto Lane Change on NoA without you confirming the change... oh, and the supposed upgrade to HW3 that no one knows when will happen..

I didn't know about the off menu option for FSD when I first bought the car so I only opted for EAP. I kicked myself once I realized that I would have to pay $5k for the upgrade post delivery instead of $3k. So when I saw the price go down to $3k on the first night, I got really excited and almost clicked the buy button, but as fate was in my side, the page updated and removed the option.

Since then, I've read through all the comments about the current state (or lack thereof) of FSD and the concerns of not knowing when or if hw3 would even be available to be retrofitted into my car, I'm going to hold off.

So in a way, Tesla inadvertently helped save me from buying vaporware twice. So thanks!
See you already saved money by waiting lol.
I just hope you still analyze everything just because you are getting a "$2K" discount; because, the only features you are really getting for the additional $2K you are spending are 1) NoA in the city, 2) traffic light and stop sign recognition (which should inherently be included as part of NOA in the city), and 3) Auto Lane Change on NoA without you confirming the change... oh, and the supposed upgrade to HW3 that no one knows when will happen..

Twice today I could not get regular autopilot to change lanes with tons of room to do so, the way I see it regular autopilot isn't even there yet, I take over about 50% of the time just to change lanes... NOA van be fun to show off to friends but forget about using it in real day to day diving...

Auto park can be neat, I tied to use it today but someone was behind me and it was talking too long so i just took over. I take over between 50 and 75% of the time assuming it detects the parking spot. Used summon to move the car into the garage but it went in crooked and was going to drive into a 5 gallon bucket so I stopped it and had to repark it myself.

I think FSD features will be fun to play with but I'm not ready to pay more money now to save latern again.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
Online customer service indicated to me yesterday that 2019 buyers with EAP will be upgraded to FSD for free. Only time will tell...

View attachment 383489
This hurts as I took delivery mid dec. Had to fly to nyc then drive 9.5 hours home because at time of purchase I was told they would deliver it to me free, then once they had the order and papers signed they said they couldn't guarantee 2018 delivery for the tax credit so I had to waste a day going to get the car, lost wages, etc. I'm not sure many people would do this to spend 70k but I got sucked in to the hype. Don't get me wrong I love the car but I should have just waited, then I would have waited some more for the Y

Status
Not open for further replies.