Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed the first version that @artsci offered on my 2012 sig S85. Best mod I ever made! It worked perfectly and saved my front spoiler uncountable times from curb rash. Regrettably I left it installed when I sold it in 2016 and took delivery of my s90d. So now I’m stoked to install his new version in my 90. I set it up to switch to front view anytime the backup lights were off so a single tap on the Camera icon brought the front view up when parking forward, and of course the car automatically brought up the rear view when in reverse. Very slick, it’s a fantastic mod.

Get one on order, spend a satisfying day installing it (well maybe some cursing to get the cables routed...) and you will LOVE this diy for your Tesla.

I am very tempted to do this mod as I always fear scrathing the nose. Is there a summary/guide of the parts, installation etc and price tag somewhere handy?
I want to say more people might jump in if the parts and steps required were easy to find/follow.

PS. Apologies if I missed the page with said instructions-I tried scanning ans searching the thread but may have missed it...

Forget the Chinese cables. If they're still available they won't work and you'll be out what you paid for them.

artsci - I was just reviewing the thread, verifying I had everything I needed but the switch and wanted to ensure I understood this post you made about the Chinese cables.

I bought the 3-cable set that was mentioned in some posts that SuperBat had available when you started talking about the second switch production run. I also bought a rear camera off Amazon. All 3 cables in the SuperBat set have the same connectors on both ends and will mate to the cable connection on the camera I have (the blue one shown on the Tesla cables pictured in the post by appleguru above).

Given that, will these cables work - or is there something about the new switch that renders the cables unusable?

Thanks for your continued efforts on this!

artsci - I was just reviewing the thread, verifying I had everything I needed but the switch and wanted to ensure I understood this post you made about the Chinese cables.

I bought the 3-cable set that was mentioned in some posts that SuperBat had available when you started talking about the second switch production run. I also bought a rear camera off Amazon. All 3 cables in the SuperBat set have the same connectors on both ends and will mate to the cable connection on the camera I have (the blue one shown on the Tesla cables pictured in the post by appleguru above).

Given that, will these cables work - or is there something about the new switch that renders the cables unusable?

Thanks for your continued efforts on this!

The Chinese cables are a very long story, but to make it short I worked with SuperBat to develop the cables, sent them the photos and all of the info on their web site, and I think even sent them a Tesla cable. If they had taken the trouble to take the Tesla cable apart they would have observed that they consist of four wires, two sets in twisted pairs. Yes, they have the correct connectors but their cables are straight through, which creates cross talk and corrupts the signals. So they perform very erratically. Sometime they work, sometime they don't, and sometimes they never work. In the latter cases I think it's because the pins are wired incorrectly. In short, Superbat was incompetent. And now they're being dishonest: they know the cables don't work yet they continue to sell them. And they don't save much or any money -- the Tesla cables are about the same price, and they work every time.

The Chinese cables are a very long story, but to make it short I worked with SuperBat to develop the cables, sent them the photos and all of the info on their web site, and I think even sent them a Tesla cable. If they had taken the trouble to take the Tesla cable apart they would have observed that they consist of four wires, two sets in twisted pairs. Yes, they have the correct connectors but their cables are straight through, which creates cross talk and corrupts the signals. So they perform very erratically. Sometime they work, sometime they don't, and sometimes they never work. In the latter cases I think it's because the pins are wired incorrectly. In short, Superbat was incompetent. And now they're being dishonest: they know the cables don't work yet they continue to sell them. And they don't save much or any money -- the Tesla cables are about the same price, and they work every time.

Unfortunately I also jumped the gun and ordered these cables. ArtSci- would you be willing to post the pin connections so I can check mine? I’ve got enough ethernet cable laying around I’m inclined to move the connectors over to nicely shielded twisted pair cable to save the cost of buying them again.

Hello, id like to place a deposit for the kit, what is the amount? Also I had a quick question, how is the front camera accessed in the model s once installed? Is it a remote or does it use an onscreen button, Thanks!@
From my post #343: "I set it up to switch to front view anytime the backup lights were off so a single tap on the Camera icon brought the front view up when parking forward, and of course the car automatically brought up the rear view when in reverse." So its essentially auto-magic!

Reactions: dedicatedtek
Unfortunately I also jumped the gun and ordered these cables. ArtSci- would you be willing to post the pin connections so I can check mine? I’ve got enough ethernet cable laying around I’m inclined to move the connectors over to nicely shielded twisted pair cable to save the cost of buying them again.

The stock cable is Dacar 535-2

Interestingly, it shares many properties with Ethernet cable, so CAT6A for example may actually work as a suitable alternative... nobody that I know of has really tested this though.

If anyone wants some connectors, I have a few spare Z coded (water blue; they are he universal coding, so for the canera’s blue connectors great).

I wouldn’t necessarily go chopping up your cables; they might be OK. Worth trying at least if you already have them.

• Informative
Reactions: David.85D
Messing with the cables is not a good idea, and I can say from first hand experience. I accidentally nicked one with an Exacto during installation and it failed (it was a very small nick, barely though the insulation).

I’m out of the country’s for a week but will try to find a pin out diagram, provided I have one on my travel computer. If so will post it later.

Here's the pin-out diagram (with some other images relating to the original design)
image.png

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    97.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Love
Reactions: lunitiks
Finally got (what I thought) were the right cables from Tesla... two short female to female cables and one long male to male.

I think maybe I need one more female to female though?

Camera has a male end... so best I can tell I need all 3 to connect it to the the switch board? Which means I’ll need one more F-F cable (3 total?):

New camera—M:F——1.5m Tesla cable —F:M——4m Tesla cable——M:F——1.5m Tesla cable —F:M connector on the switch board

Messing with the cables is not a good idea, and I can say from first hand experience. I accidentally nicked one with an Exacto during installation and it failed (it was a very small nick, barely though the insulation).

I’m out of the country’s for a week but will try to find a pin out diagram, provided I have one on my travel computer. If so will post it later.

Any idea on how long it will take to get these things produced and out once we hit 50?

I'm in desperate need for a front camera so I may be installing a wireless camera which will project to my phone in the meantime.

Are there any updated part number for the 2 cable types:
  • 2 x "CABLES, HSD, LIFTGATE, CAMERA" (1006780-00-D). (short cable)
  • "CABLE, HSD, BODY MAIN, CAMERA" (1006781-00-D). (long cable)

I'm having problems finding the above part numbers from Tesla. I've found camera part number.