Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpg
CR2032. You will need to pair them to the switch before you install the switch too. (Easier.)
Mine are different. Is this a AAAA?

Reactions: JohnnyG
Some good news, and some bad news on the CAN Bus Kit front...

Due to some unexpected travel, I had one evening to assemble and ship as many CAN Bus kits as I could. I ended up basically pulling an all nighter and almost missed my flight, but I was able to ship out around half of the orders so far. If you made it in, you should have received tracking from me.

For the rest of you, I'll ship yours out as soon as I return (in a little over a week). Apologies for the unexpected delay.

A few notes for everyone that will get one from the first batch:
1) I didn't have time to put labels on the wiring harnesses. So, for your connection to the camera switcher:
Orange = Reverse
Brown/White = +12V
Brown = GND

Pinout.jpg

The RJ45 end plugs into the port labelled "GPIO" on the CAN Bus Kit.

2) Due to the size box I ended up shipping these in (USPS small flat rate boxes), I was not able to pre-plug in the panda into the CAN Bus Kit's female OBD port like I had originally planned. When you plug yours in, the fit will be very tight. This is normal and will ensure your panda stays securely attached, so don't be alarmed. Note that the panda's male OBD connector will be a few mm from the board when fully seated.

Here's a few hot off the assembly line/my soldering iron:
Giraffes.jpg

I should note that we're doing a 2nd run of the custom cables, for those who've not ordered them, we should have more soon.

And for those who've not ordered appleguru's CANBUS cable I highly recommend that you do. It makes installation all almost plug and play and a helluva lot easier.

Of the 75 camera switches we're producing, 71 have been accounted for. So we have 4 left for those who'd like to order.

Reactions: boaterva
appleguru, I really like that you configured a 3 amp fuse into the CAM Bus Switch. And easy to get to. (If you don't already notice, its the purple fuse with the 3 on the end). This 3 amp configuration comes in under the OBD's 5 amp fuse in the car. So IF there were ever a problem, it would not blow the single fuse used covering the OBD, TPMS and Glove Box light.

@artsci, got my package from you with cables and switcher a few days ago, thanks much!

Will there be/is there some consolidated/complete instructions somewhere? I've seen things like the above, a youtube post, some other things... After all the time that has passed, one post/thread/something with actually how to assemble and install, or at least one post with all the pointers to things would be nice.

And, WTF is a 27A... I don't know if I've ever seen this before... Amazon sez:

https://www.amazon.com/27A-Alkaline-Battery-12V-Pack/dp/B003ZBEBJ2

Assume that's a good source? As we shouldn't need to switch it too often, should work for a good long while?

Reactions: JohnnyG
I should note that we're doing a 2nd run of the custom cables, for those who've not ordered them, we should have more soon.

And for those who've not ordered appleguru's CANBUS cable I highly recommend that you do. It makes installation all almost plug and play and a helluva lot easier.

Of the 75 camera switches we're producing, 71 have been accounted for. So we have 4 left for those who'd like to order.
I hope I ordered the cable.... :D This was one of the more moving targets, what with all the changes along the way as y'all improved things. Highly appreciated, though, both of you!

I can speak to that 27A 12V battery. I've had my front cam switch installed in either my '13 or '17 now for 4 years. Never had to change it once since artsci sent it to me in the first kit. And no, you don't use it often, its a backup/alternative method. And its the is remote that you use to program your Homelink entry so you can use your Homelink to also swap the camera view.

And Amazon was where I picked up the batteries that I used for the remotes for the 2nd run front cam switch I installed in a X a couple of weeks ago.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
@artsci, got my package from you with cables and switcher a few days ago, thanks much!

Will there be/is there some consolidated/complete instructions somewhere? I've seen things like the above, a youtube post, some other things... After all the time that has passed, one post/thread/something with actually how to assemble and install, or at least one post with all the pointers to things would be nice.

And, WTF is a 27A... I don't know if I've ever seen this before... Amazon sez:

https://www.amazon.com/27A-Alkaline-Battery-12V-Pack/dp/B003ZBEBJ2

Assume that's a good source? As we shouldn't need to switch it too often, should work for a good long while?

We're working on the install instructions. Will post a link when they're ready.

Small update from my side RE CAN bus kits: I am back from my trip and hard at work getting these built up and shipped out to you guys.

I expect to have all current orders shipped by the end of the week (I'm averaging about 10 per day currently).

I just took a quick inventory, and once I finish shipping all current orders I will only have 4pcs left. So if you're interested in a CAN Bus Kit and haven't ordered one yet, please let me know ASAP, as once these last 4pcs go there will likely not be another build for a while.

On a related note, I am working on an updated install video; I should also have that edited and uploaded this weekend (The video is aimed at AP2 users, as that is what I have, but it will be good context for anyone looking to do the install).

I'll receive the remaining 45 camera switches next week and begin shipping immediately to those that have not received theirs. For those on the wait list for custom cables (about ten people), we'll have a new supply by the end of December.

I just picked up my new Model S last week and would like to order one of the complete kits, please let me know where to order.
Phil in Fort Myers Beach, FL
Happy Thanksgiving to All
And thanks to all who have worked on this project.

Received the remaing production swiches last night. Will ship all remaining orders via Priority Mail next Monday. I’ll have a very busy weekend packing 40 some switch and cable sets.

If you were on the wait list for the custom cables I don’t have them all yet, so your switch will not ship untied the cables are received. That should be in about 2 weeks.

Received the remaing production swiches last night. Will ship all remaining orders via Priority Mail next Monday. I’ll have a very busy weekend packing 40 some switch and cable sets.

If you were on the wait list for the custom cables I don’t have them all yet, so your switch will not ship untied the cables are received. That should be in about 2 weeks.

On the CAN Bus Kit side, I have shipped all orders that had deposits down. You should have received tracking by now (and hopefully your kit too!). The remaining small handful of new orders should go out by Monday. By the latest count, I have 3pcs of CAN bus kit left for new orders now.

Reactions: pilotSteve