Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any update on this? I have all my parts from @artsci and @appleguru and am ready to go.

LHD AP1 Model X. If anyone has completed this I am looking for tips and techniques.
Folks scattered all through this thread are tips and instructions for installing the front cam kit.
Last night I went through all nearly 800 posts of 40 pages. I offer you this quick index of most useful sections of this thread.
Instructions are the very first on this list.

Installation Instructions #200
Cable and picture #302
Detecting Reverse video #311
Cable end picture #357
Read post #386 for a shortcut
Switching Camera Feed via CAN video #514
Lighted Rear Applique Instructions #536
Bearbu talking about reversing signal #546
AP1 Front Cam install video #601
AP2 Front Cam install video #604
Panda #607
Removing housing from cable #636
CAN Bus kit pre production #653

Folks scattered all through this thread are tips and instructions for installing the front cam kit.
Last night I went through all nearly 800 posts of 40 pages. I offer you this quick index of most useful sections of this thread.
Instructions are the very first on this list.

Cable and picture #302
Cable end picture #357
Switching Camera Feed via CAN video #514
Bearbu talking about reversing signal #546
AP1 Front Cam install video #601
Panda #607

Thanks for pulling those together. Now with links and a few minor edits:

Cable and picture #302
Cable end picture #357
Switching Camera Feed via CAN video #524
Bearbu talking about flipping image #546
Panda #607

@Akikiki and @appleguru thanks for all the links. While there is great info in these I can't help but feel overwhelmed by the shear weight of all of this. Plus I am pretty sure much of it might be irrelevant with the combination of the OBD kit and switcher. Add to that AP1 cars route differently than the AP2 and above cars.

I was kind of looking for a quick guide that explains the simple steps for both car types using both kits and the custom cables. Perhaps this is the sort of list I am hoping for but I am confused by all the animal names.:)

Also my most important questions for my AP1 install at this point are:
  • All routing and installation is done on the drivers side?
  • The best method for routing the camera cable and what panels I have to remove? Seems there was a post awhile back that found a way around prying on the gap in the panel.
  • Do I need to remove the drivers kick panel?
  • Do I need to remove the drivers lower dash panel?
  • Where and how should I mount the camera switcher so it does not rattle around?
  • From my quick pass with the two kits and custom cables I don't need to wire anything else? (grounds, 12v power ...)

Attachments

• InstallSummary.txt
    930 bytes · Views: 61
Reactions: JohnnyG
The best method for routing the camera cable and what panels I have to remove? Seems there was a post awhile back that found a way around prying on the gap in the panel.

Prying the panel gap is really an over-statement. The "prying" is really more akin to cajoling. You need to flex it less than a millimeter just to push the cable through and IMHO that's the best way to route the camera cable into the cabin/dash area. It doesn't bend or permanently flex the body panel in any way.

I use a plastic trim cajoling tool, like the ones below.
upload_2018-12-31_15-20-4.png

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
@Akikiki and @appleguru thanks for all the links. While there is great info in these I can't help but feel overwhelmed by the shear weight of all of this. Plus I am pretty sure much of it might be irrelevant with the combination of the OBD kit and switcher. Add to that AP1 cars route differently than the AP2 and above cars.

I was kind of looking for a quick guide that explains the simple steps for both car types using both kits and the custom cables. Perhaps this is the sort of list I am hoping for but I am confused by all the animal names.:)

• The best method for routing the camera cable and what panels I have to remove? Seems there was a post awhile back that found a way around prying on the gap in the panel.
  • Where and how should I mount the camera switcher so it does not rattle around?
  • From my quick pass with the two kits and custom cables I don't need to wire anything else? (grounds, 12v power ...)

Prying the panel gap is really an over-statement. The "prying" is really more akin to cajoling. You need to flex it less than a millimeter just to push the cable through and IMHO that's the best way to route the camera cable into the cabin/dash area. It doesn't bend or permanently flex the body panel in any way.

No need to pry, just remove the plastic cable housing and fish it through! Much easier!

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

Here’s a video for removing the connector housing:

@aesculus for AP1, yes, all routing is done on the driver's side.

You need to remove the frunk trim pieces, the driver's kick panel, and the drive's side dash access panel. No need to remove the lower dash panel.

As shown above, best way to get the cable through the panel gap is to remove the plastic connector from the cable and fish it through (some non-metallic fish tape like this helps: https://www.amazon.com/ezitown-Whit...UTF8&qid=1546291764&sr=1-8&keywords=fish+tape )

On AP1, the best place to locate the camera switcher is behind the dash access panel; there is plenty of space there. It shouldn't rattle around once you plug everything in, but a zip tie to the metal dash structure or some velcro would make sure of it.

And correct, if you got the CAN Bus kit + Cat5 cable harness, camera switcher + custom HSD water blue cables, the only thing you're missing is a 27A battery for the camera switcher remote.

@appleguru and @BearBu

I think I’ve finally wrapped my head how I could possible use your kit with bearbu and artsci, seeing that your kit plugs into the OBD port as well as bearbu’s, this means the only way to integrate is to connect your OBD onto bearbu’s kit.

Will there be any way where only 1 OBD plug is required?

Is my understanding correct?

Thanks. Il

Started my install today as well (2016 pre-facelift AP1), but when I popped off the panels to the left of dead pedal, there are 3 connectors that look like the camera connection. Anyone else solve this one yet?

Attachments

• 3FA84713-7F76-4E3B-A77B-0419D5EF198A.jpeg
    3FA84713-7F76-4E3B-A77B-0419D5EF198A.jpeg
    556.4 KB · Views: 75
SCEV, You are looking for a cable that runs from the back of the car and along the door sill (driver side). Its not that purple one, so that rules out at least one of your three. Trace one back toward the door opening where the kickpad was and down toward the door (foot) sill.
That's the one you want. At the opening of the door down towards the door sill, it begins to disappear at the edge of the carpet.

FYI, this cable is running from the back of the car.

A way to test is to bring up the rear view cam on the screen. Then simply unplug the two cable ends and if the screen goes blank - Ta-Daaaaa that's it. If not, it's not. Try the other.

Just used trial and error, and it’s the top/“fattest” cable.

It’s showing the rear cam fine, but I can’t get it to switch. Don’t have he battery for remotes yet, but I thought using the CAN kit I could switch using left scroll wheel?

Just used trial and error, and it’s the top/“fattest” cable.

It’s showing the rear cam fine, but I can’t get it to switch. Don’t have he battery for remotes yet, but I thought using the CAN kit I could switch using left scroll wheel?

Press and hold the menu button (on right side of steering wheel).

If you don't have your remote battery yet, you *may* need to move the reverse wire to SW2 (from SW1) temporally to get the switcher into the correct mode (or just otherwise provide +12V to SW2)

Reactions: Akikiki
Press and hold the menu button (on right side of steering wheel).

If you don't have your remote battery yet, you *may* need to move the reverse wire to SW2 (from SW1) temporally to get the switcher into the correct mode (or just otherwise provide +12V to SW2)

Moving the wire temporarily from SW1 to SW2 seems to have helped, ot now switched to the rear cam when I put the car in reverse, and back to front cam when in drive/park, but still no luck switching when pressing/holding the steering wheel button. Thoughts?