Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 2nd batch of the custom cables will arrive today (12/27). I'll ship all remaining orders tomorrow and provide confirmation and tracking by email.
@artsci Any interest in joining forces with @BearBu to make a single product that does both tasks? Seems like between the 2 of your brains, you'd have a pretty solid after-market offering with no downsides.

Reactions: Akikiki
@artsci just received notification of shipment for your switch and cables.

Do you have instructions on how to install? I’d like to get my head around how I should be installing this with BearBu’s HDMI switch chained with yours and eventually AppleGuru’s kit.

I haven’t seen the install video that was mentioned a few posts back, so not sure if that was still in the works.

@artsci just received notification of shipment for your switch and cables.

Do you have instructions on how to install? I’d like to get my head around how I should be installing this with BearBu’s HDMI switch chained with yours and eventually AppleGuru’s kit.

I haven’t seen the install video that was mentioned a few posts back, so not sure if that was still in the works.
Same boat as you, check out @kdday's thread here which outlines most thus far: Ultimate MCU Mods - Combining HDMI Input + Front Camera Kit

Reactions: KyleDay

I still haven't shot the last clip that I'm missing.. the rest is edited and ready to go. Hopefully will wrap this up this weekend.

If anyone needs some guidance, I can share the original video I made... it's better than nothing, but is missing some of the latest details!

@artsci Sorry for not PMing, I'm apparently still too new here to send one - Is there any inventory left for me to order a kit? Just bought a CPO AP1 and this looks like a must-have mod!

If anyone else happens to know the minimum number of posts to send a PM, that'd be great as well. Thanks!

@artsci Sorry for not PMing, I'm apparently still too new here to send one - Is there any inventory left for me to order a kit? Just bought a CPO AP1 and this looks like a must-have mod!

If anyone else happens to know the minimum number of posts to send a PM, that'd be great as well. Thanks!
There’s an ongoing thread in Site Feedback where people post junk post to get there. :D The number is somewhere around 10 or so for PM, avatar, signature, etc.

how to add profile picture and contact administrator?

• Helpful
Reactions: DAZayas
I finally got around to installing the switch and canbus kit yesterday. Overall, it was relatively straight forward and Appleguru's video (the "beta" version) was quite helpful along with some of the tips posted by icefree. I did waste a whole bunch of time when I had everything hooked up and the video image was stuck on rear camera only no matter what I did pushing remote buttons and checking and rechecking connections and signal integrity. Icefree's post #747 saved the day since it appears he experienced the same problem as me during install.

Things that should probably be put in bold at the front of instructions (if and when they are ever updated and released):

1. The remotes don't ship with batteries. Pushing the buttons on them don't do anything if you don't open them up and put 27A batteries in them! (D'oh!)

2. The remotes don't do squat even with batteries if you don't pair them to the switch. You have to open up the switch box to access the button to pair them (at least I did on mine since there was no cut out in the box for the button).

3. If the switch is stuck in rear view mode, it needs to get switched to front view for the canbus module to control it with the reverse wire. And apparently the switch comes in rear view mode by default. If you don't have a working remote (as I didn't at the time since I didn't figure out #1 and #2 until the very end of the day), you can force it to front view by applied a 12-14V charge to the forward connection on the switch (or as icefree did - wire the reverse wire to the forward input and putting the car in reverse).

There are three camera switches left. But the 2nd run of the custom cables is gone. Tesla OEM cables work fine but they're a bit long so you have to accommodate the extra cable length. If you want a switch post here and I'll PM the info to buy one of the three that remain.

• Helpful
Reactions: DAZayas
@appleguru valiantly provided me some test firmware to use the Panda/Giraffe for automating the input switching between the camera switcher kit and the hdmi input box.

Unfortunately, I spent more time trying to devise a way to eliminate the Bluetooth audio lag and adding an apple tv, than in testing the panda integration.

To be honest, I like the "non integrated" installation where I use the MCU'S homelink button to switch between front/rear cameras, and I use the steering wheel menu button to switch between cameras and the hdmi box. It's great.

I also purchased a 4 button programmable keyfob from Amazon so I could have a single fob to control my HOA entry gate, my switcher kit, and my hdmi box. I'm quite happy.

FYI, all of the switches and cables are now out of stock.

Round 2 of cables went fast... guess we should have ordered more 8)

Also, am currently taking preorders for a second run of CAN Bus kits. Right now I have 4 preorders and plan to start production once we reach 10. So please send me a PM if you’re interested; this will likely be the last build for a while!

Last edited:
@appleguru valiantly provided me some test firmware to use the Panda/Giraffe for automating the input switching between the camera switcher kit and the hdmi input box.

Unfortunately, I spent more time trying to devise a way to eliminate the Bluetooth audio lag and adding an apple tv, than in testing the panda integration.

To be honest, I like the "non integrated" installation where I use the MCU'S homelink button to switch between front/rear cameras, and I use the steering wheel menu button to switch between cameras and the hdmi box. It's great.

I also purchased a 4 button programmable keyfob from Amazon so I could have a single fob to control my HOA entry gate, my switcher kit, and my hdmi box. I'm quite happy.

And with the CAN bus kit it still will auto-switch to the reverse feed when you switch to reverse, regardless of if you have HDMI, front or rear cams up on screen before... so I agree, it works pretty slick with both installed normally. I just got mine setup today and like it a lot!

• Love
Reactions: KyleDay