Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On post #979 & #991, artsci said that if there was enough interest (10) requests, to make it worthwhile, he would do another run (3rd run) of the switches.

This post just tallys all those that have asked/stated they want the front cam switch.

1. steinermeister at #984
2. kdday #986
3. kebek21 #987
4. baileywang ?? #988
5. Wratran #989
6. trident #992
7. MaxTorque #993
8. nosup4u #994
9. kt343 #1001

Might be time to start a new thread with 3rd run in the title, and a link back to the beginning of this one.

Reactions: appleguru
On post #979 & #991, artsci said that if there was enough interest (10) requests, to make it worthwhile, he would do another run (3rd run) of the switches.

This post just tallys all those that have asked/stated they want the front cam switch.

2. kdday #986
3. kebek21 #987
4. baileywang ?? #988
5. Wratran #989
6. trident #992
7. MaxTorque #993
8. nosup4u #994
9. kt343 #1001

Might be time to start a new thread with 3rd run in the title, and a link back to the beginning of this one.

Count me in. Does that make 10?

What was it that SGT Schultz used to say on Hogan's Hero's "Vee know e-v-e-r-yTHING!. Yep, Vee (folks on TMC) are a good place to start when you need to know something.

The rear camera used to be on Amazon for $39.95. I checked the links that I saved. No longer there. But...
Here's the same one (same part number we used) and its the same picture that was used on Amazon. Ya betta grab it while its there. The others on ebay are twice as much.

Tesla 1006773-00-F Rear-View Camera & Harness NEW | eBay

What was it that SGT Schultz used to say on Hogan's Hero's "Vee know e-v-e-r-yTHING!. Yep, Vee (folks on TMC) are a good place to start when you need to know something.

The rear camera used to be on Amazon for $39.95. I checked the links that I saved. No longer there. But...
Here's the same one (same part number we used) and its the same picture that was used on Amazon. Ya betta grab it while its there. The others on ebay are twice as much.

Tesla 1006773-00-F Rear-View Camera & Harness NEW | eBay

Thank You! I saw this as well but wasn’t 100% sure if this is the newer version where the camera quality is better then 1st Gen. There’s quite a few going for $150+

I originally bought my first camera from Kdday back in November and camera still works but the glass is cracked from a rock chip.

The one with this ebay link (above post) shows a tag that has had the part number on it. The -F indicates the part number has been revised a few times. This is a first gen camera. It's common to revise a part number when the part is changed or sourced from a different vendor. I not heard why this one as morphed from A thru F. But my '13 S had a -B and I am using a -F on my '17 S. And we have found by experience that this one works on all models S and X to date.

In 2012 and early 2013 the S without the tech package did not have a 1080p camera. It used a 720. But that did not last long. By summer of '13, Tesla was only using the 1080p camera. Even those S's without the tech package got the 1080p camera. The part number shown in that link is NOT the 720. The part number is the 1080p. I only mention this because some used ones could have been taken off 2012/13 salvaged cars and are being sold used. My 2013 S rear camera still had the part number tag on it' I know it was -B version.

There's several camera discussions spread throughout the 50+ pages of this tread. If you are curious its a useful read. My personal experience was, that in March '17 I was re-installing my '14 purchased front cam kit. I bought a new rear camera from Tesla SC cost was about $78. It was said to be high-res and better low-light. Other people said it was better. I could not get the newer camera to work on my '17 S. It would work with a short cable but not the long cable. I gave up and went back to my earlier 1006773-00-B version. It worked great - still using it. Naturally my '17 has what was the new camera (that was two years ago now) on the rear and my older (2014 purchased) rear camera installed on the front. I can not tell the difference in resolution or light between front and rear even now.

Do not let my personal experience with different camera confuse anyone. Bottom line is that I used a version of the 1006773-00-x camera on the front of my '17 S without incident. I've said many times before, the front camera kit is the best mod that I have done to my S. Its saved me from bumping into many obstacles at the front and rear splitter, simply because I can see when I get close.

2. kdday #986
3. kebek21 #987
4. baileywang ?? #988
5. Wratran #989
6. trident #992
7. MaxTorque #993
8. nosup4u #994
9. kt343 #1001

I actually only want the camera that flips the image, not the switch.

Well, I've been here about six years now reading posts. Yes, someone has asked that same question before. But has I recall, they did not return and give us more questions or a status if they completed the effort to install the front in the rear. Possible? Makes sense if can be done. Done? No one reported back.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Curious if anyone has adapted this to just face towards rear facing seats so you can keep an eye on your kids. Mine falls asleep back there and it would be great to know if he’s sleeping or just ignoring me.

I believe @SCEV created exactly such an implementation (successfully!). He used two extra cameras (and switches) so he could also have a front camera, and I wrote some code that lets him use the menu button to toggle through them all (but still shows the backup always when in reverse): appleguru/panda

• Love
Reactions: Akikiki
appleguru, do you remember where that info is about two cameras (and switches). THAT is going to be an interesting read. Did he use two switches? So, the signal would feed out of one and into another switch and then to the center display? That sounds very cool.