Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what button to push to get the screen I want when I want it (want rear to see if I'm in enough and front to see if I'm in too far - both screens active while driving forward).

There are no buttons to push each time. If installed correctly, it will automatically show the rear camera only when reversing and then the front camera when going forward. If you want to change that, you can press one button on the included remote, or program one of the homelink channels to do the switch between front and rear.

Also, there's no "both screens".. it's just one screen that switches between front and rear views.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
It was Nanimac's (on this forum's Model X. She has V9. She selected the camera and it comes up default to the front. Then we used, (1) Reverse to bring up the rear view, (2) the accompanying remote to switch to rear view, and then (3) the Camera Swap Homelink {choice we setup on Homelink} to switch to rear view, and each time to switch back to front. So, No, V9 did not interfere with front camera view to rear camera view.

Don’t forget to try press and hold on the steering wheel menu button ;) (with the CAN bus kit, it will swap which camera is up when not in reverse).

Reactions: Sandman1962
I recall some discussion of a mode where it would remain in rear camera unless moving forward slowly then would switch to the front camera. Did that not happen?

I did actually program that as an option and did some testing. For my car, I disabled it for now in favor of using the steering wheel menu button to switch. The speed-aware switching worked great, but was a bit annoying in stop and go traffic on the highway.

So - there is no way to have front view and rear view at the same time?
I pull into my garage and advance toward my tool box. I have my rear camera on, and watch for a piece of white tape to appear - telling me when I have advanced far enough. This works well in my garage, but not so much when pulling into parking stalls. If I back in, I can see progress and stop when needed. But I cant always park in reverse. That is the beauty of this front camera. But I still think I want BOTH while parking front in.

So - there is no way to have front view and rear view at the same time?
I pull into my garage and advance toward my tool box. I have my rear camera on, and watch for a piece of white tape to appear - telling me when I have advanced far enough. This works well in my garage, but not so much when pulling into parking stalls. If I back in, I can see progress and stop when needed. But I cant always park in reverse. That is the beauty of this front camera. But I still think I want BOTH while parking front in.
No

Good news! Can bus kits are in final production and should be ready to ship to you guys starting next week! I have just sent an email or PM to everyone that has a deposit in for order finalization... These will be built to order, so make sure you fill out the form so I can build your order correctly for your car.

Please let me know if you have a CAN Bus Kit deposit down and did not receive a message or email from me.

If someone no longer wants their canbus or custom cables for which they placed a deposit, please let me know!

On the canbus kit side, it isn’t too late to order one! I ordered 50pcs of PCBs; have deposits/payments for a little over 30pcs at the moment. So if you want one, let me know.

I’ll be building/shipping them in the order of deposits.

(And on the cable side, please let @artsci know if you want a set. We ordered 50pcs of cables, and iirc have orders for ~75 camera switchers. So 25 of you will want the cables. If we get to 20 we can put another order in for more)

Last edited:
Camera switcher and cables arrived today! Thank you @artsci !!

@appleguru how is the canbus coming along? Will they be shipping soon? Excited to get the kit installed.
Same here, got the 2 kits with cables from @artsci today, Thank You!!

While I wait for the final pieces from @appleguru I need to figure out where I hid the cameras that I ordered in March ;)

Reactions: boaterva
I traded our 2012 Model S for a 3AWD. Tesla values the camera at $0 and will remove it before selling the car on if you trade it with the camera. Therefore, I remove it and have everything you need for an install from the first production run. Camera with bracket for mounting to bottom of nose cone, Switch with power lead, two video cables, two fobs but the switch works great when programed to use homelink. Asking $100 for all. Will pay shipping in lower 48. Pm me.